North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-9/)
-   -   Chewbacca in tranny? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/47367-chewbacca-in-tranny.html)

Phobol 07-20-2005 09:51 AM

Chewbacca in tranny?

Anyone ever experienced it? It sounds JUST like chewbacca when the clutch is about to engage. Humidity related, more when humid. Took to dealer twice, they gave me wierd looks. In for the third time for a diff. reason, i mentioned it to them, hopefully they'll catch it.

everythingsablur 07-20-2005 10:48 AM

If you can actually recreate the noise at will, ask to take one of the technicians driving so they can hear it for themselves. Or mount up a video camera in the car and record yourself doing it. Sometimes the technicians just don't have enough information to know what to look for/how to create the problem.

gokartride 07-20-2005 10:50 AM

Maybe he's in there re-callibrating your hyperdrive!!:thumbsup:

haulinS 07-20-2005 11:41 AM

yeah, I think you've been spending too much time in warp speed! :lol:
j/k hope you get it sorted out. keep us informed.

Originally Posted by jds
Maybe he's in there re-callibrating your hyperdrive!!:thumbsup:

Phobol 07-20-2005 12:25 PM

Heh, thanks, I think i'll try the video camera, or will drive to dealer during a humid/rainy day. My luck is such that every time i go to the dealer the weather is purrrfect and the car acts like new. :cool:

I'm not a Star Wars fanatic, but it's the only familiar sound (that most people have heard) that could describe that noise! :smile:

D.

Krassanova 07-20-2005 12:40 PM

This subject line of your post made me wonder if Chewy ever tried on any of Leia's gowns when he was "repairing the Falcon".

aminicooper 07-20-2005 12:57 PM

Mine sounds like an elephant or a harmonica.... that's how i've described it to the techs.

Phobol 07-20-2005 01:01 PM

Ah, yes, why didn't i htink of that.. What did techs say about the elephant? Did you get it resolved?
(Chances of Elephant fitting in there are even slimmer! :wink: )

golden_child 07-20-2005 01:43 PM

Is the noise being made as you are giving it gas and releasing the clutch? Is it in all gears or just one?

Phobol 07-20-2005 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by golden_child
Is the noise being made as you are giving it gas and releasing the clutch? Is it in all gears or just one?

It happens in First and Reverse, sometimes in second. Yes, gas/clutch combination. It basicaly makes noise under certain pressure and slippage.

aminicooper 07-20-2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Phobol
Ah, yes, why didn't i htink of that.. What did techs say about the elephant? Did you get it resolved?
(Chances of Elephant fitting in there are even slimmer! :wink: )

I've taken my '03 MCS to the dealer who said it was a rubber hose near the engine, which they replaced. They said it was faulty and was squishy to the pinch.

Brought it in again a few months later when the replaced hose didn't resolve the noise, this time they changed out the throw-out bearing.

That still didn't resolve it... I don't hear it as often anymore maybe it's been hotter/dryer... mine does occur as you've described... humid/wet and only 1st/Revese gears, on the first drive of the day and the noise goes away soon after that.

I've scummbed to thinking it's due to the ABS warming up or whatever reason that someone explained in a different thread.

Phobol 07-20-2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by aminicooper
I've scummbed to thinking it's due to the ABS warming up or whatever reason that someone explained in a different thread.

Thanks for the info.. I think it's the clutch disk itself being either warped or just noisy. It's very obvious that the noise happens during friction of the clutch and flyweel, pressure plate or whatever the mechanism is. I think dealers are reluctant to fix it because they would have to take the whole tranny apart... My warranty is about to run out, and I really wanna get that fixed before I'll have to pay someone else to take my tranny apart!

D. :cry:

golden_child 07-20-2005 07:47 PM

Check out this thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=clutch+noise

This is what happened to me and the dealer replaced my clutch. Some other had theirs replaced as well with the same problem. I hope this helps.

not-so-rednwhitecooper 07-22-2005 08:36 PM

i would also check out this thread.....before its too late!!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...071#post601071

Phobol 07-23-2005 01:12 AM

Thanks!!! My second was doing that since day one. It never got worse either.. though it could be related.. :( Thanks.

Phobol 08-10-2005 10:33 AM

Update!

So, my delaer went and replaced the transmission. At least that's what the work order sais. The car feels smoother and shifting is definetly like new, however, after a week and humid weather, the Chewbacca is back! Now my warranty ran out, so I'm just gonna drive around making funny noises... :( Hope it doesn't get much worse. I'm thinking of replacing the clutch with aftermarcket one, maybe that'll help. I'll keep you guys updated on any changes, though it might not be soon - financial difficulties. :roll:

Dolmangar 08-10-2005 10:45 AM

Just because you've run out of time on your warrenty doesn't mean that they don't have to fix it. You complained prior to it expiring, and they attempted to fix it. Their "repair" should be warrentied at the very least.

soofle 08-10-2005 10:57 AM

Agreed Dolmanger, if you have the written documentation of a problem, whether they tried to fix it or not, and the problem still exists, you have a good case for making it a warranty issue even though the warranty is expired. The fact that they didnt solve the problem while under warranty does not excuse the problem. If it did then that would open up manufacturers to building low quality products and simply stalling for time whenever they break (not that im saying MINI does this, just a scenario) I would take it back in and ask nicely that they fix it properly, if they try to charge you for it remind them that they had a chance to fix it under warranty and didnt so its there problem now.

Phobol 08-10-2005 03:49 PM

Thanks! I was actually very stressed about it, but what you're saying makes perfect sense. I'll go back as soon as I have some time. (maybe a week)

:thumbsup: