Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Steps to getting where I need this system to be!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:55 AM
sleeperx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steps to getting where I need this system to be!

Hi guys, I am new to the Mini world, and super happy so far. I do have the H/K which to me is absolutely horrid. I cannot imagine having the standard and how awful that must be. I have a HUGE background in the 12volt industry and currently hold a directors position for a larger 12volt members group. All that being said, I am having fun being back in the bay for a little bit.

I have a crazy group of requirements for the audio/technology integration setup. Need good SQ (sound quality), decent bottom end and output but nothing too crazy, CANNOT take up any room, need to have navigation, internet, internet radio and the list goes on...

So, starting in the back, I replaced the H/K amp with a JL XD600/6. I built a small amp rack which mounted to the vehicle, painted black then mounted to amp to the rack. (sorry if I am being to layman to the 12volt guys out there, just want to be descriptive for everyone.)

If fits perfect when the rear panel is reinstalled. And the fact that all the adjustments are on the face of the amp, allows for easy adjustments while installed.

I did not take any pictures of the front stage, but currently running Diamond audio separates in the factory locations.

As for the woofers, I did not want to take up any room, so I had some Polk Audio MOMO 8s sitting around, and figured I would give them a shot. I expected to build an entire fiberglass enclosure when I pulled the factory 6x9 and was very surprise to see the speakers were housed in a factory enclosure (not running freeair). I did apply some glass, and tons of deadening to the the entire area. I ended up with .45 ft3 which is perfect for these drivers. They fit perfectly behind the factory panel with ZERO panel noise. I did add deadening to the panel as well. (FYI - great resource for deadening material http://b-quiet.com/products-3/b-quiet-extreme/ and very cost effective for the quantity).

Before

After

Now for the fun part. The source! I planned on moving the climate controls and installing a double din. When I pulled everything out I saw the motor behind the climate controls only giving roughly 4" of depth. That would not work! I hate flipouts, that is too 2001, so time to be creative. I saw my old Samsung Note 2 sitting on my desk and figured, lets see what we can do with this. using an old cycling handle bar mount, a strong neo magnet and duraglass, I created a mount for my Note 2 that replaced the factory head unit (it still requires some fine sanding and a finish coat of dye.) I currently have an old Pioneer Head unit installed below the switch panel. This is a temp solution until my Sony comes in. I am NOT a Sony fan, but they have the best option I have seen to date for tablet integration. You run an app on your phone/tablet and it then controls your radio. You literally could install your the Sony head in the truck in your decided you. I will update once it comes in and i finalize the head install.

Test fit, with the Note 2 Mount glassed to a Metra dash kit.

Custom mount (note the Neo magnet in the middle)

2nd angle

Custom mount with Note 2 in place

Semi final product. Still requires a few skim coats of mud, sanding and final coat of dye to match the factory dash.

Here you can see my Kudo mount for my Note 4. I tether my Note 2 wifi for internet connection

How it all works. For those Android users out there, if you don't know the app Tasker, you should. It allows you to do whatever you want with your phone.
For example, this is what I am using it for.

- When I get in my car, and my Note 4 connects to the Sony's bluetooth, Tasker turns on the Note 4 Mobile Wifi Hotspot.
- When the installed Note 2 connects to my Note 4s Hotspot, Tasker turns the screen on (also keeps it on as long as it is connected), then turns on the bluetooth and connects to the Sony's bluetooth, then lauches the Sony "Remote APP" app, as well as makes sure the Note 2s volume is set at full volume.
- When I turn the car off, the Sony turns off discounting both phones from the Sony's bluetooth. Tasker sees the bluetooth disconnection and turns the Note 4s hotspot off, then turns off the Note 2s bluetooth (saving battery), shuts down the Sony "Remote App" on the Not 2 and then puts it in sleep mode.
I don't know about you, but I think it is pretty cool.

So now, the Note 2 has wifi via my Note 4 so I can access the internet, get Pandora, SiriusXM, Youtube as well as Google Maps for Navigation and anything else you can do with a Smart Phone/Tablet. And, because I installed the Neo Magnet, the Note 2 easily pops out to take inside with me.

So ...... what do you guys think of my solution so far? I will keep you updated as the build continues. This was only the past 2 days.

Last edited by sleeperx; 04-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 PM
zrowcool
1st Gear
love what you did with the subs... i been trying to figure out how to mount some decent bass in the mini without taking up any boot space. my original idea was 2 shallow 8's under the seats but im liking your setup even better since the rearfill would be useless for my setup anyway

Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 AM
zrowcool
1st Gear
what depth would you say you have for the 8's? Any additional updates?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:26 AM
sleeperx
1st Gear
There is about 6" of depth. Just make sure you seal everything up well.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:33 AM
spikeyadrian
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking good, I too like where you have fitted the sub!
Here is my system, I'm a keen amateur, not a pro....as you can tell!

Attached Thumbnails Steps to getting where I need this system to be!-dsc00345.jpg  

Last edited by spikeyadrian; 04-13-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 AM
sleeperx
1st Gear
That looks nice! Very clean. Sometimes less is more

Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 AM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by spikeyadrian
Looking good, I too like where you have fitted the sub! Here is my system, I'm a keen amateur, not a pro....as you can tell!
That's a nice clean setup and you still have some truck space. Do you a picture looking in from the right side of the car?

Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Curious about what you'll do for the doors.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:39 AM
spikeyadrian
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SquamishDroc
That's a nice clean setup and you still have some truck space. Do you a picture looking in from the right side of the car?

Yes, no problem.
The sub is the JL Audio stealth sub specially designed for the 1st gen cooper.
The amps are the Pioneer PRS-D800.
Front speakers are Focal KR2's.

Attached Thumbnails Steps to getting where I need this system to be!-dsc00340.jpg   Steps to getting where I need this system to be!-dsc00342.jpg   Steps to getting where I need this system to be!-dsc00334.jpg  

Last edited by spikeyadrian; 04-15-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM
sleeperx
1st Gear
I am still going through my options for the final decision for the front stage. Obviously first things first will be to deaden the snot out of the doors. At this point I am leaning towards Hybrid Audio. We have to do a bit more acoustical research to figure out which will have the best response in the Mini.