Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2007 Double Din Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Freshfitz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Double Din Install

Here's pics of my double din install. I wasn't about to spend the $700 on the kit that relocates the stock unit to the hidden compartment. I got the plastic center console from Metra I think it looks and fit great. I bought a longer ribbon cable then moved the stock head unit behind the spedo preserving the stock controls in the amber display. Everything worked out great, Clock works, temp works etc. The stock unit fit like a glove behind the spedo, I had to take the front metal piece off the unit then i mounted the stock volume control board that I removed from the original radio in the pocket where the double din unit goes flush under the spedo. I cut the speaker leads and wired them into the alpine unit found a 12v and accessory wire and i was in business. Got everything done in about 8 hrs

If anyone is interested the ribbon cable specs are: .50mm pitch / 32 pin and mine was 300mm long the longest I could find and just barely made it

Last edited by Freshfitz; 03-19-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
can a moderator move this thread over to the NAv and Audio section

But it does look good.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:01 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why move this to a place almost nobody looks at? Leave it here.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:35 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! That is great! To be honest you won't find TOO much appreciation for it here, as i didn't when I did my swap>>. I had to go aftermarket for my headunit as I couldn't stand the stock one and did not want to go hooking up amps and crossovers and going all out (have done so in my last 2 cars). Plus, that'd all still work better with an aftermarket headunit anyways. I have iPod direct hookups, USB to harddrive, AUX, BT, SAT radio, etc which I didn't have optioned on the stock unit, just aux. I fit my headunit into the secret compartment above the glovebox and removed the cover. It looks fitting except for the two arms that hold the compartment door which are just folded in now, still looking for something to cover it with. Anyways, this looks like it could be my new direction! This looks very clean, and nice idea about tucking the unit behind the speedo! Mine just sits idle now anyways, so I wouldn't mind having it gone.

I know I've seen the metra housing, but didn't have any information on the cable! Could you provide a link for where you got it?
My headunit was from my last car, so I wouldn't mind upgrading to a new doubledin .... =D

Oh, and also did the metra unit come with a housing unit/cage to hold the double din? Or did you have to fab something yourself to hold the head unit unit

Last edited by SooperCuperErik; 03-21-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
More info please.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Why move this to a place almost nobody looks at? Leave it here.
Because by the rules that is the most logical area for a Stereo upgrade. As that is where all the othere Stereo upgrade info is.

Also this would pertain not just to R56 but also to R55 and R57 so those people may not see it if they do not visit the R56 Section.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:01 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow that is amazing!!!! I had my dash apart and the speedo out, I would have never dreamed about cramming the head unit back there....What an amazing work around!!!!!! Did you keep a speaker hooked up to the deck to hear the gong?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:25 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
It looks like the op did in fact buy the auto ac unit offered by best buy -- metra unit.. Even though he doesn't have auto ac... I wonder if there is a metra unit that is made without auto ac..

It also looks like the metro unit on bbys site shows the double din with a cubbie option if u get it and use with a single din.

I may purchase this to move my hu from the secret compartment to the center stack. It looks like the best buy unit it 30$... And the single din on another site (both were referenced in another thread) is selling for 60$.

Now if I can only find a source for the cable extension. I have yet to google it, as I'm about to.. But I'll probably just find a generic one that works.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I don't believe the climate control version matters, you have to unbolt your switches and buttons from your trim panel and reattach to the Metra unit.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
But there are holes for the auto ac buttons... If you look closely at his photo of it installed you'll see the little black holes under the ac dial.. Not a huge deal as they look closed anyways. Wonder if metro provides plus for those holes.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Freshfitz
Neutral
The Gong still works I think there is a speaker in the spedo that does the gong, the factory wiring harness still goes into the stock radio the only thing I cut was the 8 speaker wires. The new unit sounds awesome with the stock speakers too, hugh audio performance increase.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:04 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Ah I see what you are saying now about the buttons under the AC dial!!!!! I didn't realize the other system did not have those four buttons.

I know the speaker on the back of the speedo provides the turn signal clicking but I don't think it provides a gong, but I could be wrong. So if you leave your lights on the parking light setting and get out of the car it still gongs at you?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Freshfitz
Neutral
Yes I do get the gong, if I drive 5 inches without my seat belt on it drives me crazy.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
OH! I bet you have the HIFI system and are not using replacement aftermarket amp(s). Very interesting.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Good work

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
yeah, I've run new wires from the X3991 (or w/e it is by the driver footwell) connector- I pulled the pins for the speakers (left the other ones connected, otherwise car won't start)... and ran taps from the SPEAKER side (not the radio side) of the connector (forget if its male or female side), and tapped to new wires, and ran those under the steering column through the dash up to the secret compartment. No gong anymore, which, i prefer, as I usually always have things on my passenger seat that set it off.
Besides not having it come on with the gas light (which i blatently see in the dash anyways), theres no issues.
If you really wanted to you could tap a small speaker into the radio side of the x9331/3991/w/e connector and get the gong too.

I'm gonna tackle this and get the metra kit so i can move the head unit to the center stack, as it'll be much more convenient there, as well as i'll get my secret compartment back, AND, the double din one from best buy ($30 only free shipping), offers a cubbie incase you only use a single din (what i'll be doing). I'll post pics and such after finishing in a few weeks (moving next week so not a good time to have my dash apart).

Plus, there'll be a decent amount of more room behind the center stack vs behind the secret compartment. All my ipod /usb/aux connections will still run to the glove box and/or the pass side net (for aux plug).

I'll be able to put away the remote and be able to adjust tracks/volume without picking up the remote or bending over while driving now (i've got a rock hard 3 pack on my right side from reaching to the passenger side). Gotta do a RHD swap to get the other 3 pack to reach to the left =p

Old 03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
jacobarber
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you actually connect the volume control board to the new interface? I am curious if it is possible to maintain the steering wheel controls with a new interface like this.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM
harperengineering
Neutral
Do you have supplier information on the ribbon cable? A quick internet search proved that a 32 pin ribbon cable is a rather uncommon and somewhat difficult to find. I plan to tackle a similar project in the near future with a Kenwood Excelon 9980 install and this is the only missing piece.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Originally Posted by harperengineering
Do you have supplier information on the ribbon cable? A quick internet search proved that a 32 pin ribbon cable is a rather uncommon and somewhat difficult to find. I plan to tackle a similar project in the near future with a Kenwood Excelon 9980 install and this is the only missing piece.
If you search on ebay a guy from singapore will make it to your specs for you.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
My install...

Had I known the SGII would have fit so perfectly here, i would have routed the wire behind the dash 10 minutes before when I was completing the radio install. Now I got to rip it all apart again and feed it back there, and fab up something to cover up the exposed sides of the cubbie to make it fit up nicely.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 PM
vdan
Neutral
hi there freshfitz, and all in the forum..

really interested in this mod and with pictures that is a bonus, i am also thinking of this installation to replace my stock by buying the metra kits for my MC r56 with the double din installations. i read in your post you are keeping your stock display controls. i am just wandering is it a 'must" to keep the display on like the original. or do i just replace everthing as on the metra kits which include replacement for the display. is there any problem to the car or electrical/technical issue if i dont use the display.

i am thinking to using a new double din headunit to power up all my system and use new wiring for speaker and amp and sub. i hope i can fix everything in the car.

i will post all the installations when all the equipment i ordered arrived.

hope to hear all you guys comment....

thanks

vdan.
MC r56.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM
TiffanyLissa
Neutral
No it is not a must, but aesthetically, it's a lot better.

Metra sells the BMRC-01 which retains the factory chimes.

I personally am putting in a Z130BT, retaining the factory display with some more audio equipment which should be done for Mini's on Top

Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Pioneer AppRadio

I installed a parrot in my 07 S, and it works perfectly but I'm thinking of removing that, selling it, and adding the new double din pioneer appradio.

I had seen somewhere that there is some "box" or module you can get that tricks the car into thinking the original head unit is still there so you don't have to hide it behind your new setup.

Does anyone by chance know if that exists and where to get one?

** Is this the correct ribbon cable?**

Last edited by grradams; 06-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm thinking about doing something similar to this, but instead of bypassing the stock unit, running my double din in through the aux port. I wold still retain steering wheel volume and ipod control, and just use the factory deck for radio. Nav and sirius would be through the touch screen, and i would retain factory bluetooth and voice control. Am i missing any big gotchas?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
may i ask why you needed to tuck the cd player up behind the speedo and just not take it out? If you were to do this wanting to install just a new head unit similar to yours, couldn't i just ditch the cd player ?

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio 2007 Double Din Install