Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio 2007 Double Din Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The cd player is part of the ecu. If you take it out, you make the car angry.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^thank you for putting it in stupid terms for me <= not sarcasm

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 AM
grradams
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
may i ask why you needed to tuck the cd player up behind the speedo and just not take it out? If you were to do this wanting to install just a new head unit similar to yours, couldn't i just ditch the cd player ?
Because you'll lose the obc information on the display of the speedometer. If you tuck it behind the speedo and use the long ribbon cable shown at the top of post will let you add a new head unit without losing any other functionality.

In my post above #23 I had asked if anyone knew the name of the module that exists to trick the car into thinking the original head unit is there so you don't have have to keep it tucked behind the speedo. I can't remember what it's called but I saw it around these forums somewhere.

Last edited by grradams; 06-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
^thank you for putting it in stupid terms for me <= not sarcasm
Haha I instantly thought of the car turning red and steam shooting out of the headlights. It's like Indiana jones pulling the switcheroo with artifacts only to **** off the evil tribe or giant a$$ boulder. Haha

Old 06-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by grradams
Because you'll lose the obc information on the display of the speedometer. If you tuck it behind the speedo and use the long ribbon cable shown at the top of post will let you add a new head unit without losing any other functionality.

In my post above #23 I had asked if anyone knew the name of the module that exists to trick the car into thinking the original head unit is there so you don't have have to keep it tucked behind the speedo. I can't remember what it's called but I saw it around these forums somewhere.
It is a BMRD01 from Metra, but it doesn't actually exist yet.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:10 PM
grradams
1st Gear
does anyone know if this is the correct ribbon cable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_839wt_976

Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
I hope so, I have one of those on the way.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Juppers
I hope so, I have one of those on the way.
I think we will good. The specs match what the original post says its just a tad bit longer which seems like a good thing in this case. Let us know how yours turns out!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Freshfitz
The Gong still works I think there is a speaker in the spedo that does the gong, the factory wiring harness still goes into the stock radio the only thing I cut was the 8 speaker wires. The new unit sounds awesome with the stock speakers too, hugh audio performance increase.
hey fresh,

since you did the double din setup, did you have to deal with the parking brake and reverse sensor for your head unit?

The head unit I am going to put in says for the brake and reverse i need to do:

Green/white (BRAKE) – Used to detect the ON/OFF status of the parking brake. This lead must be connected to the power supply side of the parking brake switch. If this connection is made incorrectly or omitted, certain functions of this product will be unusable.

Pink (REVERSE) – This is connected so that the this product can detect whether the vehicle is moving forwards or backwards. Connect the pink lead to the lead whose voltage changes when the shift lever is put in reverse. Unless connected, the sensor may not detect your vehicle traveling forward/backward properly, and thus the position of your vehicle detected by the sensor may be misaligned from the actual position.

??

Greg

Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
The green/white wire can be connected to ground. The pink wire can be connected the positive side of either of the reverse lights. Reverse isn't a HUGE deal. You only use it when navi is on and worst case, your car MIGHT think you turned around. Having said that, I'd connect it, but I'm **** about this stuff.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quality_sound
The green/white wire can be connected to ground. The pink wire can be connected the positive side of either of the reverse lights. Reverse isn't a HUGE deal. You only use it when navi is on and worst case, your car MIGHT think you turned around. Having said that, I'd connect it, but I'm **** about this stuff.

Depending on the unit the wire to ground for the movie to work as if the parking brake is on cannot always be defeated by just going to ground. On my Pioneer I had to wire in a relay so that it would cycle the power and ground to show the parking brake was "engaged"

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
Depending on the unit the wire to ground for the movie to work as if the parking brake is on cannot always be defeated by just going to ground. On my Pioneer I had to wire in a relay so that it would cycle the power and ground to show the parking brake was "engaged"
can you link to the type of switch you used? thanks much!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96

What was the model number? I've never installed a Pioneer that needed a relay. Some needed pins moved in the harness and THEN grounded, but Alpine is the only manufacturer that made it a real pain in the *** in to bypass the lockout on.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by grradams
can you link to the type of switch you used? thanks much!
A relay is a relay is a relay. Standard 12V Bosch unit. Paradyme and Auto Radio Stereo (both in Sac, corber of Fulton and Arden) stock them by the thousands. You can also hit up Car Audio Innovations (on Harding in Roseville, down the street from the DMV but before get to the McDonald's) and if you are in Folsom, Audio Sports (on East Bidwell) as well. Radio Shack usually stocks them but it can be hit or miss with them.

If you NEED a relay, avid411.com will be the place to look. If there are other bypass methods, they'll know about them as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
How is the visibility with the radios that low? I'm debating between OEM navi and aftermarket. Mostly so there will be video for the passengers on long trips but if it's too low in the dash with the aftermarket units I might have to go OEM.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Wheelie
2nd Gear
Bypass Trigger ( Alpine )

This is what I used on my last Alpine video install. It is a PAC TR-7, which can be programmed to cycle through the needed + and - triggers to get video to play while moving.

( Manual way ) Before the TR-7, I ran a wire to the brake lights for the + and a toggle switch to - for the e-brake. To get the video you just press the brake and toggle the switch from no ground to ground and you have video in motion.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-TR7-Univer.../dp/B0002J22BO

Manual
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010505.pdf

Originally Posted by quality_sound
What was the model number? I've never installed a Pioneer that needed a relay. Some needed pins moved in the harness and THEN grounded, but Alpine is the only manufacturer that made it a real pain in the *** in to bypass the lockout on.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I know all about the TR-7. I'll never run one again. It caused my W505 to lock-up on start-up and burned out three Dynaudio tweeters before I swapped it out for a Black Box R3. FAR better unit IMO.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
IIRC the nav units like the AVIC series and such had to be re-pinned and grounded. I had a 4100 which was just DVD and no nav and it needed the relay to switch the circuit.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
Installed a kenwood dnx 9980 in a 09 jcw equipped with mfsw and boost radio but needed a 40 pin cable and not a 32 pin cable.

Last edited by 2009R56JCW; 07-18-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM
grradams
1st Gear
I used the ribbon cable mentioned in post #1 and it worked beautifully. I used the axxess universal steering wheel adapter and it was a piece of cake because it automatically programmed!

I put in a pioneer double din deck in my r56 and kept the obc display as well! Thank you guys for all your help!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now this is what I'm talkin about !!! This has now become my favourite Audio thread. I've ALWAYS had a HUGE hate-on about being limited with regards to the factory deck.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
How's the screen visibility? Would it be possible to get pics of it from the driver's head position and from each backseat position? I need to see if it will be feasible as backseat entertainment for my kids.

Thanks all!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
grradams
1st Gear
With the help of everyone in the forums, I was able to successfully install a double din deck while retaining the original deck functions!

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
2009R56JCW
4th Gear
alpine? I installed a kenwood dnx 9980 hd with nav ,garmin eco and sat radio.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Nope, that's the new Pioneer AppRadio. I haven't played with it as all but it looks pretty sweet.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio 2007 Double Din Install