Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Coding in the Sport Button, turning off CDN DRL and other NCS Expert stuff

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Coding in the Sport Button, turning off CDN DRL and other NCS Expert stuff

Just wanted to wade in with some more (mostly) successful NCS Expert coding experiences:

First, using the info in the other threads I coded in all the nice features that should have been there in the first place (comfort closing, one-touch sunroof, permanent speed display, etc.).

Next, I was finally able to retrofit the Sport Button option to my Canadian-spec JustaCooper. For some reason, up here the Sport Button is not standard and only comes with the Sport and 'S' models (at least it did in 2008). By adding the $4UF option code to my VO/FA string and recoding I was able to finally activate this feature! One thing of note: I see no indication of a way to make the sport setting 'sticky' - so it looks like there is no way getting around the extra circuit board to hit the button automatically after each start.

Last, I also took a shot at turning off the daytime running lights, but for some reason was less successful on this. I removed the $896 ("Daytime Lights Function") when I added the $4UF and recoded. Not sure why, but this had no effect - my xenons still stay on all the time and there is still no DRL option in the BC settings. I'll have to look through the complete vehicle fsw_psw.trc file and see what's going on.

Other thoughts:
  1. Has anyone thought of (or tried) retrofitting the alarm system without actually having the siren and sensors installed? In theory, you would at least get the cool DWA heartbeat flash on the tach - and to the external observer there would be no way of knowing that it isn't the real thing. It would be a pretty cheap and convincing alternative to a full alarm system!
  2. I was hoping there was a way of changing the coding to make the cigarette/accessory outlets stay on all the time. Right now, since they only come on when the ignition is on (which in my case also means the DRL are on - see above ) the outlets are basically useless unless the engine is running; the xenons would drain the battery in no time (dumb design). I haven't found any obvious setting that would allow changing this though. Anyone else looked?
Finally, I just want to acknowledge that the above was accomplished by standing on the shoulders of giants: major props to strobeyprobey, GTECKO, and many others for figuring this stuff out for the rest of us!!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully its what you looking for

Check this here

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Retrofit procedure

A number of people have asked about how to retrofit the Sport button, so I'll attempt to provide more details here. This isn't intended to be a detailed step-by-step - rather it is a high-level guide of the required procedure. If I wrote out each and every step it would take me hours and probably run into the hundreds of steps! So, if you dare, read on...

There's two aspects to this mod: (1) adding the Sport button hardware, and (2) coding your car's computers to recognize the new button.

Hardware (Sport button installation):
Here you have two choices: (1) you can replace the switch block in your centre console to add the Sport button, or (2) you can re-purpose your DSC button to become the Sport button.

Option 1: this is more expensive and much more work. You'll need to pull the centre console, remove the existing switch block and the replace it with the new module. You'll also need to run some extra wires from the switch module back to the JBE (fuse box - also known as the SPEG) since if you don't have the button your wiring harness probably doesn't have the wires either. As you can see, this option will give you the factory look, but at a lot of effort and expense.

Option 2: re-purpose your DSC Disable button to be the Sport button (I've never found the need to disable DSC). To do this, you have to move one wire in connector X14272 which is plugged into the bottom of the JBE. You'll need to remove the trim panel to get access to this connector. Info on the location and pin-out of the connector can be found in post #5 and #6 of this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...utton-mod.html. Once you've unplugged the connector you need to move the yellow wire and pin from terminal 14 to terminal 19. It is finicky to do (you need a small screwdriver to release the pin), but it is possible. Once you've moved the wire, pushing the button should no longer disable DSC (but it also won't activate Sport mode until we've coded it).

Software (ECU coding):
Now that you've physically added the button using one of the two options above, it is necessary to reprogram the various ECU (electronic control units) in the car to recognize it. This sounds scary, but it is actually fairly safe if you take care and follow the required steps exactly. For this part you'll need the correct OBD-II/D-CAN cable and a software package from BMW called NCS Expert. Installing the software is an involved process in itself, so please follow the detailed instructions in the "NCS Expert for beginners" thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...beginners.html. I purchased the exact same cable listed in that thread. Follow GTECKO's How-To in the RAR file to get the software installed and communicating with your car.

Once you've got communications working, you need to modify the VO/FA (vehicle order) string for your car. The VO/FA text string defines each of the options that your vehicle is equipped with. The detailed steps for how to change it using NCS Expert can be found in this PDF file: http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...hmentid=580934. The option that you want to add is $4UF (Sport button). You'll need to modify and write the correct VO/FA string to the CAS and FRM modules.

Now we're getting close. With the correct VO/FA string written, you just need to recode each ECU in the car to recognize it. This is done by creating an empty (0 bytes) file called FSW_PSW.MAN file in your NCS Expert WORK directory. This will tell NCS Expert to code each module back to the factory default settings (which in this case now includes the Sport button option). So, once you've created your empty FSW_PSW.MAN file, fire up NCS Expert and perform the following steps:
Open and choose Revtors profile
hit F1
hit F3
select R56
select CAS
hit F6
hit F3 (Process Car)
After a minute or so, NCS Expert should be done. If the "Process Car" option is too scary for you (it was for me the first time!), you can process each module separately.

Once you're done, turn the ignition off, then back on. If you press your Sport button you should see "Sport" light up in the tach display for a few seconds. If it does, that's it - your done!

As, I said - this is a just a high-level guide. If you try this out and need clarification on any step feel free to contact me. Good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Clearly the above is not for the faint-hearted and took me many, many hours to piece together. If you mess up anywhere along the way and brick your car you have no one to blame but yourself!

Last edited by Chernobyl; 04-14-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:39 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
wow wow wow SWEET man!
very very nice job, I would like to see how she drives now... cooper becoming S lol

You should like that post back on my NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself) , in case some ppl are looking into it.

As for the DRL problems, two way you can do it (I just realized you were in Canada too)

You can either do the step I gave you above; that would actually allow you to use the light stalk. So you could have it AUTO, OFF,DRL only (city lights), headlights.
AUTO mode is when you lights would be off but comes out at night or in tunnels or at dusk.

**Now if you do this, AUTO would not work and you wont see DRL in the BC ...as in your VO/FA your car is still coded as Canadian. However, you would have the other modes you can set up.

Now the second option(which is the one Iam using now) is changing your VO/FA. And Strobeyprobey help me in that too as I wanted to have the AUTO mode working and see the DRL menu in the BC

To get rid of the Canada specific DRL restriction you need to modify your VO by removing the following: $838

$838 is actually L838A NATIONAL VERSION CANADA

So basically its removing $838 from the VO string, you want to code/default the modules. And what this code/default does is "default" all of the tracefile settings based on the VO string.

So remove that in both CAS and FRM. Then "recode" your entire car (or just the KOMBI, CAS and FRM) without having tracefile modifcation enabled in NCS to "default" the modules. Check the PDF link below, easier to follow

Here is the PDF for changing a string in the VO
http://issuu.com/autodiagnostika/doc...le_order__

Once you do this I am sure you will control the DRL from the board computer and your auto lights (if you have that sensor on the windshield where the rear mirror is) will work like they should.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am glad you took the time to post this information up. And I am REALLY glad you were able to get the car set to the US region. From my research there are only two physical Cooper models, Europe and North America. All other country specific settings like lighting and restrictions are all set by the VO string.

If anyone wants to remove or add country specific settings (like Canada $838) see if your VO has any of these codes listed and remove them. Then "default" your entire car in NCS.

L801A National version Germany/Austria
L801A NATIONAL VERSION GERMANY
L802A National version Korea
L804A NATIONAL VERSION SWITZERLAND
L807A NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN
L808A NATIONAL VERSION ISRAEL
L809A NATIONAL VERSION DENMARK
L810A National version Australia
L811A National version Belgium
L812A National version England / Ireland
L812A NATIONAL VERSION GREAT BRITAIN
L813A NATIONAL VERSION FRANCE
L814A NATIONAL VERSION ITALY
L816A NATIONAL VERSION EASTERN EUROPE
L819A NATIONAL VERSION SPAIN
L820A NATIONAL VERSION LATIN AMERICA
L821A National version Egypt
L822A GULF VERSION
L824A NATIONAL VERSION SOUTH AFRICA
L827A NATIONAL VERSION SCANDINAVIA
L830A NATIONAL VERS. NORTHERN COUNTRIES
L833A country specification, Singapore
L838A NATIONAL VERSION CANADA
L846A Country-specific version Taiwan
L8AAA National version China
L8LAA National version, India

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
thanks & thanks to you
Maybe theres a region you could actually put where when you are on DRL mode, the headlights would be off and only city light on would be sweeet

Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the sport button enable, does it really like the factory sport enable after it is programmed? like lighter throttle and tighter steering......etc..

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by donuttang
For the sport button enable, does it really like the factory sport enable after it is programmed? like lighter throttle and tighter steering......etc..
Yes, I can confirm it is exactly the same as the factory version: I get the heavier, "sport" steering response, the more responsive throttle action and the "Sport" indication notice on the tach when it is engaged.

I have the manual gearbox, so I can't speak to changes in the automatic transmission shift points, but I would fully expect that they would be there too.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
As long as the DME (Digital Motor Electronics engine module), EGS (Automatic Electronic Gearbox Control), and EPS (Electric power steering) modules get "defaulted" with the new Vehicle Order the physical changes of the Sport mode will work. Other modules are involved like the KOMBI as well, but defaulting the entire car is the way to go.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
donuttang
3rd Gear
can i just run a normal on\off switch and connect to the terminal 19 and ground the other wire? or any suggest to add a switch instead of the orginal console?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
can i just run a normal on\off switch and connect to the terminal 19 and ground the other wire? or any suggest to add a switch instead of the orginal console?
No - unfortunately, installing a regular On/Off switch won't work. The Sport button is a momentary switch (closed when pressed and open otherwise). The car is only looking for the button press - if you just leave the button pressed all the time (say by grounding terminal 19 via a switch) it will just ignore it. You could install a momentary pushbutton - but it will need to be in reach of the driver so you can hit it each time you start.

That's why I suggest moving the DSC wire - it is basically a useless control anyways and is a momentary pushbutton - just what is needed!

As an aside, I've looked around to see if there is any indication of a setting in NCS Expert that will make Sport mode "sticky" (persist through shutdown cycles). I've not found any obvious setting for this.

However, I am getting closer to changing the defaults for the EPS and DME modules such that Sport mode would be the normal map for the steering and throttle. I'll provide more info if/when I figure something out.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok guys... following Chernobyl guide i managed to discover where the JBE is and which cable to work on....
Now there's a "small" problem... The color cables are all messed up in my R60!! :(

As you can see i have 8 cables (one, yellow, is plugged in pin n°7) and i really cannot understand which one to move, plus some of them are like stuck inside the pin while others come out easily!! :(

Can anybody help me??

I add also a view of the JBE...

Last edited by Nimrandir; 06-03-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, what's the JBE?

Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
junction box electronics, mmm i'd call it fuse box

Old 06-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Lil update: this morning i reprogrammed the car to have the sport button... Now i only need the physical button to activate it... Any suggestion on how to do it??
If i add an external button, how should i wire it?

Or if someone with a R60 (countryman) can open the box and take a pic of the cables it would be of great help

Last edited by Nimrandir; 06-04-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
i just the other way around, i can't get my cable work, can't install the driver, keep saying access denied with installing the driver....but i get the DSC cable swapped....very easy, just pull the thing out, and at the plug, move clip from up to down and it slided out very easily...use a small screw driver, pin the litte clip of the pin, it will slide out very easily as well and just move it from 14 to 19...

now i need to figure out the cable driver.......sighhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
i just the other way around, i can't get my cable work, can't install the driver, keep saying access denied with installing the driver....but i get the DSC cable swapped....very easy, just pull the thing out, and at the plug, move clip from up to down and it slided out very easily...use a small screw driver, pin the litte clip of the pin, it will slide out very easily as well and just move it from 14 to 19...

now i need to figure out the cable driver.......sighhhhhhhhhhhh
On R56 is quiet easy and with Chernobyl instructions it was pretty easy (this morning while trying to mod mine, i did also a friend's R56 cooper s from 2011, and it works like a charm)

But on mine i really don't know which cable to move... The one on pin 13 (the blue one) for example when i removed it, i didn't have power on the steer wheel and it was hard as rock

Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
i got my cable driver done.... will try to program it after the England game...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
helpppppppppppppppp

i can't add new order - after I enter the VIN, the list is empty, nothing show even the chasis..do I need to wait for it to load or it's instant?

I tried to add the $4UF and click ok, it comes up with

General FA error
COAPI-1181:general error during processing AT

what happen

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
there are few sport word in the trace file, do you know which one to enable, i might have the sport button in VO already

FACTOR_SERVO_SPORT
wert_01

SPORT_SWITCH
nicht_aktiv

VEHICLE_VARIANT_SPORT
variant_sport_3

SPORT_TASTER
nicht_aktiv

SPORT_ANZEIGEDAUER
wert_01

SPORT_FUNKTION_SZM
nicht_aktiv

SPORT_TASTER_C05
nicht_aktiv_invalid

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Here i am..... another day of ineffective testing... I'm still stuck with plug X14272 :( I tried to unplug every single cable so see which one would lead to the dsc/traction control button, or the start&stop, or even just the the fog lights... But nothing to do... Still cant' find the right cable...

Do you guys think is possible to add a "home made" button?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
i am stuck too, can't really do add the VO.....what did i do wrong? i follow the PDF but no VO is shown... and also having error reading the FRM

BIP-0009 error

Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
helpppppppppppppppp

i can't add new order - after I enter the VIN, the list is empty, nothing show even the chasis..do I need to wait for it to load or it's instant?

I tried to add the $4UF and click ok, it comes up with

General FA error
COAPI-1181:general error during processing AT

what happen
You actually don't ever need to manually enter your VIN. Yes, I know the PDF file I suggested says to do it that way, but there is an easier method:

Try this instead:
1. Startup up NCS Expert
2. File->Open Revtors profile
3. Press F1
4. Press F3 and select R56

At this point it will interrogate your car and your VIN (FG) and FA should be shown in the top of of NCS Expert. If it doesn't then you have some sort of communications issue to resolve before carrying on.

5. Press F2

It should now show you all your FA options and you can add/delete as desired. From that point on, just follow the PDF guide to write the revised FA to CAS and FRM modules.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
donuttang
3rd Gear
I can add in now, I did CAS but I now just can't write to the frm with that error

Bip-0009 faulty best version of description file

Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Chernobyl
2nd Gear
I can add in now, I did CAS but I now just can't write to the frm with that error

Bip-0009 faulty best version of description file
Okay - getting closer now. You apparently have some sort of version error with your installation. Make sure you are using version 7.2.0 of EDIABAS and the V41 daten. I suspect that will sort out your issues.

Another trick to try (which works, but is sub-optimal) is to temporarily replace your ECU datens in the \EDIABAS\ECU directory with the V32 ECU files. That should allow you to code the FRM. You can't leave the V32 files there all the time though or you will find that now there are other modules you won't be able to access.

Check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-r56.html for more info. My steps to use the latest versions of EDIABAS and datens are in post #5.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Electrical Coding in the Sport Button, turning off CDN DRL and other NCS Expert stuff