R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
tgs91
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question

Hey guys,

I apparently got one of the thin plastic hood scoops on my R56 cause it started warping.

Suppose we can have a discussion on why BMW's only response has been to add thickness to the plastic they use or why they do not make use of additional air flow by making it a real hood scoop. Maybe save that for another day.

I talked to my SA and it is under warranty and I took Mark (Lotise's) suggestion and asked him if I could pay the diff for a carbon fiber one. No problem. Gonna cost me about $180 diff. Not crazy about the price but it does take care of the problem.

This brings up two questions-

1) I was also looking at a M7 heat shield if I had to stick with another plastic one. Is there any reason to get the heat shield with the CF scoop?

2) On my mod wish list I'm thinkin' about one of those air injection setups that Way Motor Works and other Mod Shops offers. I can't think how a CF hood scoop is gonna mess with those plans but want to put it out there for feedback

Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
louvers

Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We picked up my wifes new 09 MCS yesterday and drove it down the highway to get home and the first place we stopped was at our mechanics shop. I got out and was showing him the car, we popped the hood and felt the underside of the hood smokin hot! Even on the outside. So hot it was dangerous So I proceded to buy her, her first mod, the M7 heat shield. This thing looks like it came from the factory, if not better It's gotta help. I also plan on dremeling out the rest of the holes in the scoop.

Last edited by JIMINNI; 06-05-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure the heat shield is a great solution (or even a good idea), I mean yea it protects the hood scoop but it keeps the excess heat in the engine longer, which could possibly lead to other problems that would not be covered under warranty.

I had my first hood scoop replaced last service (week ago) they said if it happens again they will replace it with the JCW CF scoop free of charge (noted on my service report), which I would be happy with.

As for the OP first statement, it is a functional air scoop on 08+, but still happens.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by JudgeS
I'm not sure the heat shield is a great solution (or even a good idea), I mean yea it protects the hood scoop but it keeps the excess heat in the engine longer, which could possibly lead to other problems that would not be covered under warranty.

I had my first hood scoop replaced last service (week ago) they said if it happens again they will replace it with the JCW CF scoop free of charge (noted on my service report), which I would be happy with.

As for the OP first statement, it is a functional air scoop on 08+, but still happens.
It's not sealed or anything, it's just a shield. Plus the hood scoop is barely funtional. If you look at it most of it is plugged up.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
There is a reason all the holes are not open in the scoop. If too much air comes in the scoop while driving it will increase the air pressure under the hood. This decreases the amount of air that comes through the radiator. The first R56s came with no holes in the scoop grille. When scoops started melting, MINI revised it and by spring of 2007 they had some holes. I assume MINI found a balance in the amount of air coming in the scoop vs. venting of turbo heat when parked.

It would seem to me that it would be better to have scoop air go directly into the engine air intake, but there may be complications with that I'm not aware of.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
It's not sealed or anything, it's just a shield. Plus the hood scoop is barely funtional. If you look at it most of it is plugged up.
I know its not sealed, but its still changing how the air is circulating in the engine, and how the heat is being released, just by being there. I'm certainly not saying this will definitely cause a problem, but its certainly a possibility. I would also be fairly certain if anything were to go wrong with the engine that could be linked to excess heat (which is practically anything), Mini is going to deny coverage (or at least have a case to if they wanted) with the heat shield installed. Seems to me to be an awfully big risk to take, just to save a stupid piece of plastic they have to keep replacing anyway.

Last edited by JudgeS; 06-05-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
It would seem to me that it would be better to have scoop air go directly into the engine air intake, but there may be complications with that I'm not aware of.
iirc there are two CAI that do this, they both run over $800 so not many are running them yet, but it can be done.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:33 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
There is a reason all the holes are not open in the scoop. If too much air comes in the scoop while driving it will increase the air pressure under the hood. This decreases the amount of air that comes through the radiator. The first R56s came with no holes in the scoop grille. When scoops started melting, MINI revised it and by spring of 2007 they had some holes. I assume MINI found a balance in the amount of air coming in the scoop vs. venting of turbo heat when parked.

Hmmm....really? It looks to me that the radiator is sealed off from the engine compartment. And with all the openings under the hood, I don't see how there can be any air pressure increase?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
I know its not sealed, but its still changing how the air is circulating in the engine, and how the heat is being released, just by being there. I'm certainly not saying this will definitely cause a problem, but its certainly a possibility. I would also be fairly certain if anything were to go wrong with the engine that could be linked to excess heat (which is practically anything), Mini is going to deny coverage (or at least have a case to if they wanted) with the heat shield installed. Seems to me to be an awfully big risk to take, just to save a stupid piece of plastic they have to keep replacing anyway.
Well it can be removed in about.....2 minutes, and welcome to the world of modding. Anything aftermarket added has a risk.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
JudgeS
6th Gear
Well it can be removed in about.....2 minutes, and welcome to the world of modding. Anything aftermarket added has a risk.
True but most have a true performance reward as well, we always have to weigh the balance of the two and decide if its a smart mod or a stupid one. This is something that should be corrected by mini and shouldn't necessitate a $200 mod that has a lot of potential risk, and does pretty much does nothing else.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:37 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
True but most have a true performance reward as well, we always have to weigh the balance of the two and decide if its a smart mod or a stupid one. This is something that should be corrected by mini and shouldn't necessitate a $200 mod that has a lot of potential risk, and does pretty much does nothing else.
This will not be corrected by Mini because it cant, it's a bad design. And I have no problem with it. If you notice Mini added a shield but it sucked. And as previously said its only a cover, not a incloser.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
I asked my MA about this today. I asked her if my scoop was going to melt. She said, "Yep". I asked, "Should I buy a heat shield?" and that's when she said there *might* be something coming from MINI in the form of a heat shield of thier own as a fix to melting scoops. Don't quote me on this. No timeframe was given.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Ken G.
4th Gear
JIMINNI: Have you gotten any rattling from the stock turbo shield after installing the M7 shield? I have an M7, but haven't installed it because I don't like removing two out of three screws holding down one edge of the stock shield.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
A while back my scoop started showing the start of the "melt". I went to remove it so that I could open the other holes in the grill. In the process of releasing the center mount I discovered it was pulling down quite hard on the center of the scoop. (where the dip was starting). To me it seems that the scoops are not melting from heat but are rather being pulled down by the center mounting clip when hot causing the dip. I pushed my center clip up to release the clip so that the scoop is no longer being pulled down by it. My dip went away and so far no more "Melting" my scoop looks as good as new.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 AM
JudgeS
6th Gear
This will not be corrected by Mini because it cant, it's a bad design. And I have no problem with it. If you notice Mini added a shield but it sucked. And as previously said its only a cover, not a incloser.
It would simply be corrected by using a scoop from a material thats more heat resistant/higher melting point. I think if people keep getting them replaced it will certainly be fixed.

Now, I'm only talking a cover (don't know where your getting enclosure from, why would there be an enclosure), it's still going to make more heat stay in the engine longer, which may never be a problem, but certainly has the possibility for one, just not worth the risk IMHO. The heat shield is keeping more heat near the turbo for a longer time (just with the added/thicker material), and making the heat exhaust/transfer in a different direction. I'm sure M7 has not done long term tests on what the effects of this will be. With Mini replacing the scoop anytime it melts, I just don't see the point. Make them correct their flaw, don't try to do it for them at your expense, with little research, and no protection behind it.

Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
A while back my scoop started showing the start of the "melt". I went to remove it so that I could open the other holes in the grill. In the process of releasing the center mount I discovered it was pulling down quite hard on the center of the scoop. (where the dip was starting). To me it seems that the scoops are not melting from heat but are rather being pulled down by the center mounting clip when hot causing the dip.
Well its actually still melting, its just the bolt causing the deformity on its own. I'm still not comfortable with plastic that has such a low melting point being used. I mean yea it may not become deformed on its own with a loose bolt, but it still potentially could if some one touched it or something else. The proper solution is for Mini to replace the scoop with something made of better material, and we should have them continually replace the scoops until this is the case.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Surfink
4th Gear
Here in SoCal, some dealers admit the scoops melt while others deny it. I found a dealer that was willing to replace with CF scoop as a one time good will gesture. So far the CF one is holding up very well..and looks great on the PepperWhite Hood

Old 06-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There was this thread about the heat shield possibly causing the valve cover to warp.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eatshield.html

Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
JIMINNI
Banned
Originally Posted by Ken G.
JIMINNI: Have you gotten any rattling from the stock turbo shield after installing the M7 shield? I have an M7, but haven't installed it because I don't like removing two out of three screws holding down one edge of the stock shield.
Nothing yet

Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
There was this thread about the heat shield possibly causing the valve cover to warp.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eatshield.html
Maybe somebody could put the heat shield on, then drill out holes to let the hot air out and then we could all comment on how well the modded-mod works

Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
lotsie
Banned
Our 08 Clubman S melted a scoop. It was replaced. Have now had a http://www.waymotorworks.com/home.php turbo wrap on for about 3 months, no issues, lots of HARD miles put on it.

The turbo is designed to take high heat, the plastic around it is not.
The turbo cools quickly with a few minutes of easy motoring before shut down, and oil is pumped through the turbo after the engine is shut down.

Oh, and you CAN put you hand on the OEM shield while the turbo is hot, and not need to get skin transplants with one of these wraps.

Mark

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I've had an M7 heat shield since day one, 6,000 + miles and no melted scoop and no issues anywhere in the engine bay.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SaltNPepa
A while back my scoop started showing the start of the "melt". I went to remove it so that I could open the other holes in the grill. In the process of releasing the center mount I discovered it was pulling down quite hard on the center of the scoop. (where the dip was starting). To me it seems that the scoops are not melting from heat but are rather being pulled down by the center mounting clip when hot causing the dip. I pushed my center clip up to release the clip so that the scoop is no longer being pulled down by it. My dip went away and so far no more "Melting" my scoop looks as good as new.

I think you're right "but", the retaining pin is keeping the center of the scoop from expanding/warping "upward". And it does look like a "dip" and all of the melted hood scoops look this way, i.e. the center is held down, still level with the hood and on either side the scoop is warped upward.

Did the scoop went back to its original shape once you released the pin?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear

This is pretty much what i was told when i made an appointment for service and few warranty issues i need taken care of. They are going to replace my warped hood scoop and if it happens again i will get the CF one free of charge. I asked if they could just do the CF one now instead of me having to bring it back in again. i have not heard of anyone on here having the replacement plastic one last to long. The guy on the phone said that this is BMW/MINI's way of handling it. He didn't even sound to thrilled about there fix for the problem.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
SaltNPepa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rwwilsonjr
I think you're right "but", the retaining pin is keeping the center of the scoop from expanding/warping "upward". And it does look like a "dip" and all of the melted hood scoops look this way, i.e. the center is held down, still level with the hood and on either side the scoop is warped upward.

Did the scoop went back to its original shape once you released the pin?
Yes mine went back to the original shape after a week or so with the pin release. Even after the car sitting and the temps on the scoop at almost 200deg it is not soft to the touch you can't bend it or cause a dip by pressing on it. It needs preasure over a period of time to cause the dip for what I have seen. My dealer told me a one time only replacement and that it's a 2 step process. You have to bring the car in to have them look at it. Then then order it and have to paint it then you come back in. A real pain and the paint will probbaly not total match. As far as i know any replacement will be the same stuff that is currently on the car unless you get carbon which would not look good on my car IMO. So plan is to keep the pin out and hopefully make it to near the end of the warinty then look at a replacement if MINI has changed the stuff or how its mounted.

Quick Reply: R56 Hood Scoop Melt Down Resolution Question