Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Caliper Dust Boot Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 PM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rebuild kits I received from Classic for the rears only had the piston boots - actually did not remove the calipers from the car to do the rears as just did the boots as those were the only parts available for the rebuild (and really the only damaged parts due to track event and the low miles on the car). However, it was a major PITA to get the new piston boots properly seated on the caliper as the surround clip continued to pop off. That portion of the job took longer than anything else.

The front rebuilds are pretty straight-forward, did remove the calipers in order to replace the inner seal obviously. Word of caution however, after blasting brake fluid all over myself, the garage and the wife's car on the first caliper when blowing out the brake piston with compressed air, did the second caliper in a garbage sack to minimize the mess - much cleaner

The following users liked this post:
bbarlow641 (07-08-2020)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
truckboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
needle nose pliers, tapping on the plug with a small hammer. twist. should come unloose, eventually. some liquid wrench around it should help.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
kemopots
1st Gear
Torn Rear Boots Suck

While replacing the rear pads on my 2004 MCS I noticed a tear on the passenger side caliper boot. I am about to order the repair kit and was wondering if anyone has a copy of the repair procedure referenced on the first page of this thread? When using compressed air to push out the piston, where is the air line attached and what sort of adapter will be necessary?

If someone sends me some barebones instructions, I'll take pictures of the repair process while I rebuild the caliper and make a DIY Guide for the procedure.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 AM
jblow
4th Gear
It's not necessary to remove the piston or rear caliper when rebuilding the rears with new piston dust boots. Install of the boots is a little tricky, otherwise pretty straightforward DIY.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:58 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Is it pretty much the same procedure to rebuild and replace boots for the JCW calipers? Any idea how much they cost?

Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Is it pretty much the same procedure to rebuild and replace boots for the JCW calipers? Any idea how much they cost?
Ok, so I don't need an entire rebuild kit, just the rubber dust boot cover. Per realoem.com I am asuming it is "REPAIR SET BRAKE CALIPER" P/N 34116769277 correct?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:17 PM
mikeson
2nd Gear
I just did rear brake boots on my mini cooper S(2004)

It was PIA to put it new boot on caliper.
there is no enough space and one side in, then the other side not. if you push the other side in, one side not,...and again and again.
So what I did was push a flat driver at the bottom part(using my foot) and same time use my finger to push in left top part and right top part same time. You will under stand when you are doing.
Anyway, after it stay, i use flat driver pushed evenly around of new boot.

Here is a tip.
You don't have to push and take out piston.( I did and it become so mass and if I didn't take the piston out, I could save tons of time and energy.

Good luck. =)

Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 PM
XCcoach
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mikeson
I just did rear brake boots on my mini cooper S(2004)

It was PIA to put it new boot on caliper.
there is no enough space and one side in, then the other side not. if you push the other side in, one side not,...and again and again.
So what I did was push a flat driver at the bottom part(using my foot) and same time use my finger to push in left top part and right top part same time. You will under stand when you are doing.
Anyway, after it stay, i use flat driver pushed evenly around of new boot.

Here is a tip.
You don't have to push and take out piston.( I did and it become so mass and if I didn't take the piston out, I could save tons of time and energy.

Good luck. =)
I just replaced my dust boots on my 05. It got so very frustrating that I made my own tool! I now have a prototype and will make it available soon! It makes installation a quick, easy and painless process!

Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by XCcoach
I just replaced my dust boots on my 05. It got so very frustrating that I made my own tool! I now have a prototype and will make it available soon! It makes installation a quick, easy and painless process!
Hello Ccoach, did you ever get around to making that brake tool available? I'm about to do my rear brakes. Thanks

Old 08-14-2017, 07:42 AM
BetaMini
2nd Gear
I replaced one this weekend. I didn't see any sort of clip that held the boot to the caliper in the back. Obviously, the front fits around the caliper lip, but the back just seemed to be press-fit in. Can anyone confirm this?