Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ok...little tire help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 04:00 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok...little tire help please

Just got my car a couple weeks ago. It has 26k miles on the factory continentals. They are shot! So I am wondering if tire technology of run flats have improved over the 4 years since my tires and if the newer ones might be more pleasing nearer the end of their life? These are not pleasing at all. Maybe that's a trait of all run flats I dunno....I never had any.

My second and probably an even bigger question is.....for a daily driver, I will want a performance all season tire on there. Should I be looking at non runflats? Whats the latest most modern opinions on that somewhat age old question of conventional vs runflat? I do understand that I have no spare...which of course worries me some. What are you guys/gals doing?

Thx

Old 07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Marcintyszka
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I git my mini at 32k miles, rear run-flats were already replaced and front was pretty much shot. I just got myself regular tires and the ride is so much more quiet and less bumpy. I must say that ride felt much more stable with run flats when going 100 mph but I don't do it very often. Regular tires and AAA, you get discounts with AAA so it pay itself off anyway..or a spare in a trunk. Anyway regular tires all the way, I say.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've found the runflats just don't perform or last. But worse of all they ride like a brick as they are so stiff no matter the brand, and cost more than non runflats too.
So go non runflats and save the money and up the performance and ride. I personally am running the BFGs right now.
But if you want a good deal I just pulled a set of Goodyear all season non runflats off a project car that had less than 1000 miles on them that could be had for a good price.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-31-2017, 04:24 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
So, if we choose conventional tires...how would I best repair a flat (the basic nail hole or similar) so I could get rolling again? Does the "slime" and other canned flat fixers work very well. I do have a 12v pump I keep in the car.....along with some plugs. But, my wife is not up for any tire fixin!

Are the aerosol ones adequate for being able to "squirt and go" to continue on, or no?

It's looking like in my case....AAA is in order to get some piece of mind.....particularly with non runflats!

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
But, my wife is not up for any tire fixin!

to me this is a big factor ... I accept what some feel are the downsides of RFs for the piece of mind it gives the Mrs (the R59 is her car)

Twice RFs have allowed her to exit the interstate to a safe location when she got a 'flat' .... with standard tires she'd have been on the side of I-95. In one case she drove home ... 40 miles.

If you trash a tire .... something more than a simple puncture ... like something in a side wall, nothing but a spare is gonna help you.

IME AAA can help with a simple puncture (plug on site) or put on your spare. Beyond this it is a tow to a tire shop and as you know most tire shops don't have anything our size in stock .... p.s. I have had AAA for 15 years. When you own a classic you don't leave home without it!

So if wife or kids drive the car much it is something to keep in mind. If you plan on a plug or SLIME and a lil air pump I suggest you 'flattten' a tire and fill it from that pump. You may be surprised how long it takes. If sitting on the side of I-95, in the dark, in the rain ..... well, I'll consider the options.

WRT to tire wear, MINIs tend to come with a performance rated tire and these wear faster than lower speed rated tires be they RF or not. If you want a sticky performance tire you expect less miles. I have EAGLE F1s as the stock tire on my DD ... they are not RF but are 'max performance summer' and most owners get about 20,000 out of a set and they are $$. Performance tire .... nature of the beast. Some folks replace 'em with a high miles all season. Think they get a performance change?

Lastly, if looking at repair options to carry, consider DYNAPLUG. I've used this for years. Works great. I've used this and run the repaired tire for 10,000+ miles.
http://www.dynaplug.com/
works great for simple punctures ... including RFs

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Thanks again Capt. Sounds like sound advice. I do have the DynaPlug. First thing I purchased for the Mini. I am with you on all points about interstate, in climate weather, darkness....all. I also am clear about performance = higher cost, and I don't mind paying for it and will likely later this week. I didn't buy our Mini to slide around and use up touring tires at 50k miles/per set. No worries about that!

I like the idea of a better ride, less expense, etc of performance style conv. tires...but for the piece of mind and much less skin off my butt......I'm leaning toward runflats. HEY...it's a sports car no? Expect some discomfort and a bumpy ride.......and should be happy I can pay for all that fun and discomfort I say. If I want comfort and a smooth ride I'll take the truck I guess!

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
p.s.

my first MINI had run flats on 17" wheels

subsequent MINI have both had RF on 16" wheels

the change in sidewall height makes a significant difference!

Old 07-31-2017, 09:42 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
I've decided on BFGoodrich don't recall the exact tire. The ones with the 50k warranty from Discount Tire. So if I only get 25k from them they will credit me 50% on the replacements.....any brand. That could just pay-off, I always have them rotate every 5k. I used DTire for years. I wish I had back all the money I've spent there......I could hot rod the hell out of this thing!

I decided the runflat was best for Momma! I'm ok with some hardish tires in the Mountains......I ain't racing nobody anyway!

Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
you tease me to go into my MINI vs Mini rant ...... (long time users of this site know me for this!)

you're new to MINI?

MINI is the new car since 2002 in the US

Mini is what many call the "classic"

to some biMinual like myself (owning both MINI and Mini), it is a BIG difference.

My Mini next to my first MINI

Old 07-31-2017, 03:03 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
you tease me to go into my MINI vs Mini rant ...... (long time users of this site know me for this!)

you're new to MINI?

MINI is the new car since 2002 in the US

Mini is what many call the "classic"

to some biMinual like myself (owning both MINI and Mini), it is a BIG difference.

My Mini next to my first MINI

Yes.....I've seen those....usually there is a clown sticking out of it!!

Sorry, you served it up!........I'm just goofing! Don't be sore now. The "Austin Mini"

Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
sorry

you're blocked ....

Old 07-31-2017, 05:05 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
sorry

you're blocked ....

What size is that engine? I never really looked at one up close. Were they/are they fast for their time...like their modern counterpart?

Old 08-17-2017, 04:50 AM
jkarow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance and All Season are tough to get at the same time. You sacrifice one for the other. Yokohama all seasons will give "acceptable" performance and have good longevity. I'm due to replace and have done some shopping, this is the happy medium Ive decided on. https://tiresize.com/tires/Yokohama/AVID-Ascend.htm of course the more you want to spend the better tire you can find.