Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

NJ: Do I need Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:10 AM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY/NJ:When do you put Winter tires on?

I live in NY/NJ area. The winters aren't so bad and I don't plan on taking any trips upstate with the MINI. My MCSa will come with Dunlop run-flat all-season tires, do I still need to get a winter tire? I have had all-seasons on all of my previous cars without any problems. Is there something special about the MINI in snow or on ice I should know? Are run-flats not responsive enough for winter driving?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
I'm keeping my 195 16s Runflats for winter use.
They should be fine. But I wouldn't venture out in more than 3" of snow till the streets are plowed.

I'm coming from a BMW 330i, so this should be a huge improvement.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:40 AM
fred3
4th Gear
While I don't use runflats...

Originally Posted by ravenfish
I live in NY/NJ area. The winters aren't so bad and I don't plan on taking any trips upstate with the MINI. My MCSa will come with Dunlop run-flat all-season tires, do I still need to get a winter tire? I have had all-seasons on all of my previous cars without any problems. Is there something special about the MINI in snow or on ice I should know? Are run-flats not responsive enough for winter driving?
I do use the standard 15" all season tires that come with the standard package. Living in Maine I had no problem last winter and that includes driving in a few nor'easters. What it requires is driving using common sense.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:17 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Howdy,

I'm in Jerz too and had the exact same issue when I purchased my MCS in January. I came from an old bimmer which always required winter tires and was skeptical about the 16 in runflats' performance in the snow. Here is what I learned: It is OK at best. I was so used to snow tires that the all seasons really left a lot to be desired to me. Where winter tires grip, I found the runflats sliding. I did not feel confident on them at all.

So, now my commute is much longer and I feel wiser, so I bought winter tires on steel wheels from the tirerack.

Bottom line: you don't NEED them, but if you determine that you would be more comfortable (like i am) with them, then it's a great snow performance and piece of mind buy.

mb

Old 09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Better safe than sorry.

That thing got a Hemi?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input guys. "SE7EN" is not due to arrive until mid october, so I have some time to decide. Have any suggestions on wheels?

Old 09-21-2005, 04:52 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Thanks for the input guys. "SE7EN" is not due to arrive until mid october, so I have some time to decide. Have any suggestions on wheels?
I was going to use my 16 in. v-spokes for winter and buy 17in. wheels for summer, but when I really thought about it, I decided I really love the v-spokes, so they will be summer duty.

I looked at wheel and tire (winter) packages and at 44$ a wheel for the black steel 15 incher + 70 a tire for the blizzaks, I couldn't go wrong.

The steel wheels will keep your summer rims clean and give you a chance to get rid of the runflats in the winter

mb

Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
NJ: When are you putting on your Winters?

So, I got some Winters from Tirerack.

The weather is turning really quick this fall. Mid 70's to low 50's in two days, plus rain and more rain. Now we are looking at nights in the 30's.

When should I put the Winter tires on? I have always been an all-season girl.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 AM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
I've used the run-flats here in Cleveland for the past 3 winters and I have about 52,000 miles on my MCS. Last year we had a record seasonal snowfall. If you don't try to drive like it's summer you should be okay.
Bob

Old 10-24-2005, 02:18 PM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
I don't see what the downside is to winter tires, except for the cost & hassle of putting them on & taking them off... I mean if there's even a 1% chance they'll save you from an accident someday, then they're totally worth it. Also they'll make your summer tires last longer so that offsets a chunk of the upfront cost.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:33 AM
rl48mini
2nd Gear
well, the question was "do I need winter tires?" (emphasis added) and the short answer is No!

Old 10-25-2005, 06:24 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
So, I got some Winters from Tirerack.

The weather is turning really quick this fall. Mid 70's to low 50's in two days, plus rain and more rain. Now we are looking at nights in the 30's.

When should I put the Winter tires on? I have always been an all-season girl.

Thanks!
I usually wait until thanksgiving, but I tend to get pretty nervous about it by the time comes. Some go earlier in NJ, but have we had many major icings or snow storms in early Nov.? If there's a nice weather weekend one week before turkey day, I'll prolly throw 'em on to avoid having to do it in the freezing cold.

mb

Old 10-25-2005, 08:05 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Well weather forecast says this winter is going to be very cold. I might swap out my 4 season runflats for some performance oriented snow tires like michelin pilot alpines if the weather gets really bad.. Hopefully we won't get the blizzard we had a couple years ago.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:33 AM
dchez
2nd Gear
I live on LI and feel that dedicated winter snow tires are not absolutely necessary. That being said, I put a set of blizzaks on my 325iX a few years ago and the difference was night and day. The car went from being merely competent in the snow to practically unstopable. I'm scheduled to pick up my new MINI this week and I'm already planning on buying a set of snow tires for it (though I'm bummed that the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST are NLA - guess I'll have to get non-runflats after all).

As long as you drive carefully, you should have no problem with the stock all-seasons. The snow tires just give you an extra margin of safety. Only you can make the call on how important that is to you. Just my $.02

Old 10-25-2005, 11:07 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
Coming from a rwd 330i, I'll be much better off... even w/ just my all season runflats.
I'll put that winter tire $$ towards 17" rims and summer tires in the spring.
I'm sure that will be a better use of those funds.

I see that you've already got your winter tires.
I'd put them on by thanksgiving, and take them off end of april.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 AM
ravenfish
2nd Gear
Thanks for the input! I got the Winters just to be on the safe the side. I am sure I'll get good use of them this winter.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrT-Man
I don't see what the downside is to winter tires, except for the cost & hassle of putting them on & taking them off...
Fuel economy, mainly, and noise, but who cares if your windows are up?

I've never bought snow tires and I've always gotten by (I've always driven small FWD cars), but I might bite the bullet this winter and mount some Blizzaks. There was one particular day last winter when I was staying at a cabin about 100 yards from the highway in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Trouble was, that 100 yards was sloping fairly steeply uphill, and it had turned to ice during the four days I was there. After taking a few futile runs at it, I spent a good two hours with a shovel, trying to chip away some ruts for traction. It didn't help that the temp was around 15F that day. I'm guessing that snow tires would have made that day a better one for me.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
jaxmini
3rd Gear
I went years without snows on my front drive cars and always did well. However 5 years ago I began throwing snow tires/wheels on and what a difference. They don't pack up like all weather tires and it certainly gives you added confidence when the weather gets crappy. It's also nice to keep your good wheels and tires clean and dry all winter, not to mention miles are split between two sets of tires. I highly recommend snow tires.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 PM
racingdynamcs
2nd Gear
I drove my G35 coupe MT all winter on Pilot Sport's and it was fine...

Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
I had to put the snows on yesterday. There was a freak snow storm that came through this area and dumped three inches (6 in some areas of West Virginia). Its all melted now though.

The mini feels like a different car with these things on. They are great in the snow, but no way am I able to have the same fun in the car (by diving into corners, accellerating, etc.) like I can when the summer tires are mounted.

With the blizzaks, the car will go through just about anything but maybe a 3 ft snow drift, and that's only because it doesn't have the ground clearance. I feel better with them on and because my job sometimes takes me on some back roads that typically don't get plowed, I probably do NEED them.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:46 AM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bmovierat
The mini feels like a different car with these things on. They are great in the snow, but no way am I able to have the same fun in the car (by diving into corners, accellerating, etc.) like I can when the summer tires are mounted.
This is enough reason for me not to get them.
For the 5 months a year it may snow, you may have 7-10 days that are snowing where snow tires would be benefitial. Those 7-10 days of a bit of white knuckle driving is worth the trade off for the other 148 days where they are not needed at all. Capish?

BTW, I only drive 15 minutes to work, highway or backroads.
And I also have the family SUV at my disposal if it gets real bad out.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coopercrazy
This is enough reason for me not to get them.
For the 5 months a year it may snow, you may have 7-10 days that are snowing where snow tires would be benefitial. Those 7-10 days of a bit of white knuckle driving is worth the trade off for the other 148 days where they are not needed at all. Capish?
You are right there. it is a trade off, but if it's a choice between:

1. Having to do white knuckle driving because I'm scared I'm going to slide into a plow truck and
2. not being able to do fun, white knuckle driving through the twisties for five months because I have snows on...

I think I'd pick number 2. Plus, when march rolls around and I can shed the snows for good, it really makes me appreciate the car.

However, since you have a spare car, I don't blame you for not getting snows. It might be a good idea to invest in a decent all-weather set though.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:58 PM
coopercrazy
3rd Gear
Everyone, in all reality, the tires are not so expensive @ $100-120 each.
If i find my all season don't do the trick, i'll get winters next season.
I'm still gonna get summer rims and tires.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:22 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
I have an '05 MCS with 17" S Lite All Seasons but with my 50 mile commute (one way) in the hilly lower Hudson Valley, I don't want to take the chance.

Snows for me. Prolly the 16" steel wheels with Blizzaks. Piece of mind.

Dave

Old 10-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
In Germany, where driving is taken seriously and drivers act responsibly (even at triple digit speeds), winter tires are the norm. You'll see everything on the road with a winter tire package, from brand new $80K Bimmers to 15 year old Opels. Here, if you get into an accident and it's determined your "summer tires" have a play in the fault, then you can be held liable regardless of the other circumstances. Also, interestingly, German tire salesmen will laugh if you say you have all season tires. In Germany, a tire is either a summer tire or a winter tire. There's nothing inbetween. My MINI S goes in on 9 Nov to mount my brand new 16" R84 X-lites (V-spokes) with Dunlop Run Flat M3 winter tires. I've already decided that come summer, I'll mount summer rubber on the 17 lb. R84s and get rid of my 22 lb. R99s. I'll give you my winter tire impression before the year end (in dry, wet, and snow). Of course, it's 70F today...but that won't last long. Cheers!

Quick Reply: NJ: Do I need Winter Tires?