Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How much to professionally powdercoat silver R83 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much to professionally powdercoat silver R83 wheels?

Has anyone had their silver wheels powdercoated. I live in Maryland. Anyone have an idea of how much and who does this well? Thinking of powdercoating 16 inch R83's.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I was quoted $35.00 per wheel to coat 17X7 Kosei K1-TS from silver to white, plus $45.00 per hour to sand blast the wheels before powdercoating. They estimated 2 hrs to do the blasting. I'm in SW PA.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:29 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
I had a dented wheel repaired in Bath, PA and they did a great job. http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccinfo.html

Old 08-21-2005, 01:26 AM
MGear
5th Gear
First you need to get the wheels sandblasted, in New Haven CT that cost me $75 a wheel. Than you can get the wheels powder coated and in Danbury CT that cost me $100 a wheel. Pretty darn expensive where I was living at the time but the job came out perfect. This is my third summer season with white wheels and although there are a few chips they still look as crisp and sharp as ever.

One very important point to note here. Once your wheels are ready for tire mounting it is very critical to take them to a place that specailizes in mounting tires to powder coated wheels, this proceedure can damage that new finish if the people mounting the tires don't have the experience in mounting tires to "aftermarket" powder coating which is not the same as the manufacturers powder coated finish.

Also make sure to switch your brake pads to the EBC Greens and wax and polish your wheels as often as you do your car. Another important point to note is you will get some tar "splats" on the finish, make sure not to try to "rub" those spots off you will scratch the finish and it doesn't clean up. Make sure to get some "tar remover" for wheels, don't use anything else. Follow the instructions for using the tar remover and you should have clean looking wheels for a very long time

Old 08-21-2005, 06:14 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Just had my K-1 TS done 2 days ago. Thought I would have to get them sand blasted but the powdercoater said that it looked like the painted Kosie's had baked on paint and that sandblasting would not be necessary. He just scuffed the paint with sand paper. Charged me $40.00 per wheel for everything. They look great. Going to apply several coats of Zaino this afternoon and, get the tires(Yoko ES-100) mounted Monday. Local tire guy swears he can mount them without scratching wheels. Still scares me sh-tless.. they look so damn good on the dining room table. (Wife went a little nuts when I told her that I was going to zaino them while watching the NASCAR race today but, todays my birthday -63- so I'm exempt from getting chewed-out)

Old 08-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$40 per wheel for sandblasting, $30 per wheel for powder coating and baking. All done in Milford, CT. Great job, prompt and courteous.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:00 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for 120 bucks, you can just buy a powdercoating kit from Eastwood. Ive seen the results from one and i'm very suprised how nice the finish is. I'm going to buy one so i can use it for everything else i want to powercoat too!

Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a good idea--something I've been drooling over at Harbor Freight---gun is $60, need a low powered compressor that outputs like 12psi---BUT, and this is the BIG BUT, how do you plan to bake it?

Wheels aren't something you can just toss in your toaster oven, or even your household oven--actually you don't want to be cooking powdercoating paint in the same oven you eat with---your mom won't be pleased!!!

I've seen custom made ovens for several hundred bucks, but that's kind of out of the range.

Richard

Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
for 120 bucks, you can just buy a powdercoating kit from Eastwood. Ive seen the results from one and i'm very suprised how nice the finish is. I'm going to buy one so i can use it for everything else i want to powercoat too!

Old 08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
It's a good idea--something I've been drooling over at Harbor Freight---gun is $60, need a low powered compressor that outputs like 12psi---BUT, and this is the BIG BUT, how do you plan to bake it?

Wheels aren't something you can just toss in your toaster oven, or even your household oven--actually you don't want to be cooking powdercoating paint in the same oven you eat with---your mom won't be pleased!!!

I've seen custom made ovens for several hundred bucks, but that's kind of out of the range.

Richard
I agree. The company that did mine has a walk-in oven that can do larger items than just 4 wheels. Could probably bake 20 wheels at one time.

Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy

Richard
To my chagrin, my husband dabbles in powdercoating. We are in the process of converting a set white V-spokes that I bought on ebay to some form of powdercoated black. He and a friend powdercoated two sets of civic wheels, so he's not a complete novice.

However, I wouldn't recommend doing the powdercoating yourself unless you are willing to spend about $200 or so for start up equipment, have a strong stomach for a very tedious job and have enough space to make into a semi-permanent powdercoating "studio" (probably in your basement).

For the oven, I would definitely recommend buying a used one rather than the oven you have in the kitchen. We got a standard electric stove/oven from a newspaper ad and paid $25. It will hold one 16-inch rim, but nothing larger than that. I'm sure you could find a used oven with a larger bay though.

You'll also need a quality dust mask and possibly some sandblasting equipment. We use a Craftsman 30-gallon compressor with a max pressure of 150 psi. It seems to be adequate.

I'll ask the husband to post to this with more info on what this job entails. I just know it's a lot of work and at least initially, it cost us a fair amount of money.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
Do the green brake pads give you a different feel?

I have white wheels and when I asked a local dealer about the green pads he said people get rid of them because they often don't like the brake feel.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I have green pads. I wanted to replace the crappy, dusty stock ones and am very happy with them. The dusting has been considerably cut down and I can discern no undue noises nor other performance problems. When they do wear out, I'll definitely get another set.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Changing topics????

Ok I can't resist. Get Mintex Red Box pads from Outmotoring.com. They are like half the cost of EBC's and even the OEM pads, dust significantly less, and offer the same or slightly better grip over OEM.

I have white wheels too, and it's cut down my wiping brake dust to once every 3 or 4 days instead of twice a day with OEM pads.

Originally Posted by Drsms22
I have white wheels and when I asked a local dealer about the green pads he said people get rid of them because they often don't like the brake feel.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 PM
MGear
5th Gear
That Aint Powder Coating!

True powder coating is an electronic process that requires a bare metal surface for the powder coating to be attracted to and stick to the finish. Anyone that tells you they can powder coat over an already painted surface whether that surface is baked on, fried on, sprayed on or stamped on is not giving you the true story about the process they provide. I don't care what the guy says or what he does to prep the surface, powder coating requires a bare metal surface in order for the powder to be attracted to the metal surface period. There is no room for debat here if the surface is not bare metal to start with you aint getting powder coating you are getting something else and you need to quize the people that tell you otherwise

Old 08-23-2005, 03:47 AM
Drsms22
5th Gear
I'm way over this thread I started and will buy pulloffs

I'm way over this thread I started and will buy new pulloffs. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:17 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MGear
True powder coating is an electronic process that requires a bare metal surface for the powder coating to be attracted to and stick to the finish. Anyone that tells you they can powder coat over an already painted surface whether that surface is baked on, fried on, sprayed on or stamped on is not giving you the true story about the process they provide. I don't care what the guy says or what he does to prep the surface, powder coating requires a bare metal surface in order for the powder to be attracted to the metal surface period. There is no room for debat here if the surface is not bare metal to start with you aint getting powder coating you are getting something else and you need to quize the people that tell you otherwise
You are wrong. I watched them powdercoat my wheels and put them into a walk-in oven @ 375 degrees. They stayed in for 45 min. after the oven reached 375. After cooling, I took them home. These wheels were not sand blasted but the baked on paint was scuffed by hand with sand paper then pressure washed with some sort of solution. After drying they were hung on a large rack and powder coating was dusted on. Now, they may chip easier than if the wheels were sand blasted but, the company that did it didn't think chipping would be a problem. They look very nice and so far I'm pleased