Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 AM
bluezone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please

Want to add something different and not just look like everyone else with the same year and model. I was thinking I’d start with some new rims. Personally I like the chrome ones only because it would match the trim chrome interior and exterior. Currently the rims are the 17” with run-flats. Don’t want to pay for new run-flats so I’ll just probably stick with the 17” for size. Thing is there aren’t too many choices sporty yet somewhat elegant chrome ones in the 17’s many of the really stylish and sporty looking ones start at 18” and up.

Well I was thinking about getting some 17” Chrome Lexani. I’ve asked a couple of people what they thought and the answers have been from one extreme to the other. Some felt they were great and would look very cool on the Mini, and to go for it. While others have said... No, no the answer is no! Since I am not able to view the wheels on the Mini before purchase, Since there not cheap , I’m hesitant to purchase only to find out after they are paid for that they look stupid on the Mini .

Can I get some opinions from you guys on this one. I did look at the Tire Rack first because there is site is great and you can view your Mini. But I didn’t see any chrome ones similar to these so I have no idea what they will look like actually on a Mini. BTW, the little cap on the inside could be all chrome and would just say Lexani. Any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please-lexani2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Those would look great . . . on an Escalade.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:57 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Remember, heavy wheels (and chrome wheels tend to be quite heavy) will make your car feel slower.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:06 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Old 06-24-2005, 09:07 AM
CARdiac
5th Gear
Hate them for a Mini...love them for a Ford Truck

Old 06-24-2005, 09:07 AM
goaljnky
Banned
They do look like an SUV rim. But remember, at the end it is not what we like, it is what you like. Your money, your car, your taste.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:08 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by eVal
Remember, heavy wheels (and chrome wheels tend to be quite heavy) will make your car feel slower.
Not feel slower but slower.

bluezone,

Where in CA are you?

Earl

Old 06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 10851CS
Not feel slower but slower.

bluezone,

Where in CA are you?

Earl

Sorry, that is what I meant - no coffee yet so I'm a bit bleary :smile: Weight in the wheel/tire is one of the worst places to have it.

I went to 12lb rims and can attest to the positive impact on the car's performance.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
I'd wouldn't put those on my MINI, wrong style in opinion.

Check out some Rim/Tire shops in a hood near you. Usually those are the shops that have pics. of peoples rides on a dedicated wall, maybe you'll get a better idea as to how it would look. I saw a pic. of a MINI S with 20" inch rims on a shop wall , doubt it steered anymore though.

Check out some polished Aluminum rims maybe. Good luck man.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
bluezone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Gosh... I hadn't considered the excess in weight that a chrome wheel might incur. Those of you who have viewed some of my previous posts know that I want to go faster not slower. I really want to add some style. But I certainly wouldn't want to go out of my way to do anything that might decrease speed or performance:smile: .

Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluezone
Want to add something different and not just look like everyone else with the same year and model...

...Can I get some opinions from you guys on this one. I did look at the Tire Rack first because there is site is great and you can view your Mini. But I didn’t see any chrome ones similar to these so I have no idea what they will look like actually on a Mini. BTW, the little cap on the inside could be all chrome and would just say Lexani. Any suggestions.
Hate is a strong word. I'd reserve that for something more than a car part. But I don't love them.

However, if looking different is what's important to you, these ought to do the trick. Like others have said, your tastes are what matters. I went for lightweight wheels because performance is important to me. If it performs well, I generally like the look. And if it doesn't perform well, I generally don't love it.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Those wheels look like crap, on any vehicle. You asked.

But hey, it's your car. If you need the bling... have at it.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
I understand your dilemma.

It took me two years to decide on wheels. I definitely did not want to look like everyone else - but in a good way. I like chrome wheels, but they are pricey and difficult to find pictures. Chrome wheels look better on some colors more than others. I didn't think all-chrome would look good on LY, so I waited. I found the wheels I have now for sale at a price that was tempting. I looked at the picture of them on the one MINI that had them custom made. I looked at any other picture of them close-up that wheel stores had on the websites. These still were not cheap rims, and if I bought them I did not know if I could re-sell them as others say they are "too heavy". (Actually weigh two lbs less than S-lites). Big deal. I'm not going to use them for track days anyway. I took the plunge and I am so glad I did. I have gotten so many compliments on the wheels, and it makes the car look so different - it was entirely a worthwhile investment. They have a metallic gunmetal finish on the spokes, but the lip is chrome and very deep.

I have seen chrome wheels on EB and CB MINIs, and they are beautiful. I guess what I'm saying is not to give in too much to peer pressure. It's good to be different and start your own trend. If you like them, go for it!

Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you asked, ick.

But it's your car, follow your tastes.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:09 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Looks like something from "Pimp My Ride"

Old 06-24-2005, 10:21 AM
mini giant
4th Gear
not my style, but whatever floats your boat. :smile:

Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by webstrands
Exactly, but maybe that's what he likes. They're definitely not for everyone, but I think that was the point. I may not like the look, but that's OK so long as he likes it.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI
Exactly, but maybe that's what he likes. They're definitely not for everyone, but I think that was the point. I may not like the look, but that's OK so long as he likes it.
Absolutely

My critique was my own and I thought that was what he was asking for

Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM
scotteast
Old School!
Originally Posted by countrym
Those would look great . . . on an Escalade.

That's what I was thinking, too.

I'm not really a chrome wheel guy. But, if you like the bling, don't let us talk you out of them.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
bluezone
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by webstrands
Now that you mention it.. it kinda does at that.

Just checked with the store and they said these wheels are around 26 pounds ea. I think that's a little heavier than I was expecting. I believe the current wheels are 22.3 pounds. I hadn't taken into account the excess in weight when I started thinking about going into chrome. I was only thinking about looking at wheels that I knew would be different on a Mini.

According to one of the stores.. there aren't any chrome wheels less than 25 pounds. I did want to go with something shiny, bright, glossy if possible. But I don’t want to exceed the current weight of 22.3 in fact I’d like to go down in weight if I can. However I do want some style that’s different but I don’t want to look like a clown in the process. This Mini will be the first car in which I’ve ever made any modifications of any kind. So I really don’t know that much about what is a good choice and what isn’t. Specially when trying to factor in both looks and performance. I went to one wheel and tire shop and the guy actually said for better performance I needed to go with some 20" wheels and new 20" tires .

Old 06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yo1 Dose r dope, dawg! rollin on da dubs!

Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like them either but thanks for giving us freedom to just call it like we see it....a good idea to remember. Keep searching, you'll find the perfect thing. In the end it is a personal choice....just make sure it's one you can really live with. The chrome is heavy and the look is...well...a little over the top for me. :smile:

Old 06-24-2005, 11:55 AM
peterwhit
3rd Gear
you really don't want to go heavier because just a little added weight and it is very noticeable. Trust me on this. The mini is really a car that you notice subtle changes on. Adding a little weight or taking a little away makes a big difference, esp. at the wheels. (i can tell a difference in performance depending on whether or not i have a passenger) This is why I want to find some strong and lightweight 16"s or 17"s. Do yourself a favor and keep out of the chrome. Also something to think about is how easy it is to clean the wheels (though anything is easier to clean than the s-lites). That makes a 5 or 6 spoke wheel pretty nice. Just my $.02

Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
asodestrom
6th Gear
If your goal is to look different, then those will do the trick.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: Maybe you could achieve something cool with polished-aluminum rims? Light, yet shiny! Happy shopping!

Clover

Quick Reply: Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please