Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheel fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
jcraff3
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheel fitment issues

So I think I may have sort of figured out my issue but let's start from the beginning because this just isn't making sense

I own a 2014 Mini Cooper S F56 - last 7 of VIN - T970729
I bought 18x8.5 +45 wheels, being told by two companies they will help sit flush to my fender
Installed coilovers last night and looking at preferred 1-1.5" drop
Test fit the wheels last night (no rubber, on jacks) and with no spacer the tip of the rim touches the coilover shaft
I then test fit with 11mm spacers to help clear distance
keep in mind my plan is to use 3-6mm spacers in front
But the wheel does not sit flush and pokes almost 1" from my fender
So I said, WHAT THE &^%$%^&*!
I then called Klutch, Rotiform, & fifteen52 who also confirm fitment
1. Could I be seeing this poke if my wheel is not straight when installing and test fitting?
2. Should I have installed tires and put it on the ground?
3. Could I be seeing this because of the 11mm spacer only?
4. Do I need a 17" wheel or perhaps an 8" wide wheels apposed to 8.5"?
5. Can I find wider fenders to help compensate any unwanted poke?
I was told the JCW fenders are wider, PERFECT, but Mini of Bedford said there is no difference for the F56
So upon checking some websites I found two different fender part numbers, maybe there is a difference?
1st check was of my stock OE F56 2.0 B48 - PART# 51777376869 (XM73) w/e that means
2nd check was of stock OE F56 JCW 2.0 B48 - PART# 51777387889 (XM93) click #'s for links
BOTH PART #'S CAN BE CONFIRMED ON E-MINI PARTS BROCHURE
Seems the stock F56 fenders and stock F56 JCW fender add-ons are same part number vs. a stock F56 JCW which comes with different #'s...
As you can tell, this has been a pain in my a**. So what in the world can I do?

Old 04-01-2019, 12:40 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
The wheel arches on the JCW have a little lip that pokes out maybe ~5mm wider with that little lip then the stock ones. Buy one and test it and see where you are at. The 11mm spacer on the F56 pushes it out more.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/51777387889/

Other then that you could go with aftermarket clinched but they are universal at this point for MINI.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-clinched-parts/v-mini/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-01-2019, 01:16 PM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Stock wheels are 7" wide with 54mm offset. since you are going to a 45mm offset, you are already pushing the centerline of the rim out 9mm. you are then widening by an inch and a half. by my calcs, you will be 10mm closer to the strut ( as you have found there is not 10 mm there) and 28mm more poke. adding a 10mm spacer to bring you to factory clearance to the strut, you will have 38mm of poke.

On my car, I am lowered and running 18X8 +35 offset with no spacers. 225/40-18 tires and I was rubbing on the JCW fenders. my setup gives me more clearance to strut ( from rim, took some of this up with tires) and a 31mm poke and the tire comes out from under the JCW fender a little bit.

I would say that at factory height, you will not rub much but you will have a massive poke that JCW fenders will not fix. once lowered, you will destroy your tires and fenders, and still have massive amounts of tire sticking out beyond the fender. to fix this, you can run an unsafe amount of tire stretch, or an unsafe amount of front negative camber (maybe, but will probably still hit strut). My personal recommendation would be to return the wheels to whoever sold them to you and told you they will fit because they lied to you. then find a better vendor and get ones that are 8" wide.

Last edited by RLM; 04-01-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
1" out each side is typically not bad at all.

That said, I dont think they lied to you unless they vouched they wouldn't hit aftermarket coilovers...on stock suspension probably would fit just fine. I too, on a past car, got that gnarly surprise of new coilovers hitting the backside of wheel once. I wasn't attempting to fit aggressive wheels at the time however so it wasn't as dire.

https://www.tire-size-calculator.inf...ww=8.5&2off=45

Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 PM
jcraff3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar

That said, I dont think they lied to you unless they vouched they wouldn't hit aftermarket coilovers...on stock suspension probably would fit just fine. I too, on a past car, got that gnarly surprise of new coilovers hitting the backside of wheel once. I wasn't attempting to fit aggressive wheels at the time however so it wasn't as dire.

Maybe that is what it is, i tried to do research about stock fitment and when i had confirmed numbers, i was told the wheels are stock 42 offset not 54....

Old 04-01-2019, 01:50 PM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I believe pretty much all OEM alloys for F56 are +54 offset.

As for the rims fitting, I think you'd have clearance issues even with stock shocks based on the measurements and how close to the shocks the stock wheels sit. Coilovers would likely make this worse.

The following users liked this post:
jcraff3 (04-01-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 PM
jcraff3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar

just got through using that link you sent and looks like if installed right, i sit flush with oem specs on hub to shaft difference but i raise my height and push out, i think the issue is how wide it is after all. 8.5 is no bueno