R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Issues, issues, issues. Are they all this bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
trailrated
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues, issues, issues. Are they all this bad?

I'm a potential '08 MCS buyer...

or I was until I read the "Problems" forum...

Are there really as many '07+ MCSs with HPFP failures multiple times, timing chain tensioner catastrophes, etc. as it seems?

This is all very scary! I don't know that I want a MCS anymore...

I feel that if I WAS to buy the car from the private dealership where it is located, that I'd need to take it directly to the MINI dealer and demand a new fuel pump and timing belt tensioner assembly.

Should I be freaked out?

-Will

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe you should consider a nice Honda Accord like my girlfriend has. They are very reliable cars with not so many problems to worry about.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
Mopeds are said to be pretty reliable as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 AM
Spridget
4th Gear
Something to think about - the only people who post in the "Problems" threads are the ones having problems. Sounds silly, I know, but what you don't see there are posts from folks like me who are nuts about our MINIs and have had no real problems to speak of. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a used MINI checked out by an authorized shop before purchase, but that applies to pretty much any used car. Granted, some MINI owners have had issues, but that doesn't mean we all have.

Best of luck!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Had a '07 MCS for two years, never had a fuel pump or timing belt issue. Now well into my second year with my '10 MCS, no issues. Wife has almost 1 year on a Clubbie S, no issues. You typically hear more about cars with issues on these forums than cars without ... problems just stir up emotions and are more more likely to make someone write about them than no problems.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 MCS for 3.5 years. The only issue has been the timing chain. MINI fixed it. No other problems. I love my MINI.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:51 AM
korby
6th Gear
If I had it to do all over I would not purchase a Mini or BMW product .

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Granted mine is still a youngen and a Justa, '10 and not a single issue at all. Granted the S has more issues that the Justa, but I would think that if you are looking used, get a carfax report! And yes, have the local MINI shop or independent shop look the car over, with a fine tooth comb. And like Eds said, it will seem like they are plagued with issues since the trouble children are usually the only ones written about on forums.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
minimize07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by trailrated
I'm a potential '08 MCS buyer...

or I was until I read the "Problems" forum...

Are there really as many '07+ MCSs with HPFP failures multiple times, timing chain tensioner catastrophes, etc. as it seems?

This is all very scary! I don't know that I want a MCS anymore...

I feel that if I WAS to buy the car from the private dealership where it is located, that I'd need to take it directly to the MINI dealer and demand a new fuel pump and timing belt tensioner assembly.

Should I be freaked out?

-Will
Is'nt that what forums are all about....venting.... and trying to get the best solutions/answers . Many have been resolved due to this forum and have saved owners $$$$$.Yes all vehicles have problems (even Honda,go on their forums)An educated consumer will use the best tools and advice in their purchase and then follow it up with continued maintenance and care........What can I say, we're Miniacs.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP,

Forum surfing before car purchasing will always make you a skeptic. Why will i become a skeptic you ask?

The majority of owners are not all enthusiasts and only show up when they have a problem or want to buy something 2nd hand. Nothing against that but most people only post when they have issues.

Dont let this deter you, just take your time and buy smartly!

i have a modded mini with no issues at all... 2010 DO IT!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Yes, there are known issues that affect an unknown number of second gen MCSs. BMW has issued service bulletins on the ones you listed (Timing chain rattle and HPFP failure) that appear to address the problems. Others remain unaddressed by BMW (carbon build up) except to recommend costly maintenance.

Many people enjoy trouble-free motoring in their R56-MCSs and one never hears from them. Many do not have a trouble-free MINI and complain vociferously.

In my opinion, the R56s are good fun and decently quality/reliability. All things considered, I would recommended caution in purchasing a MINI past its warranty expiration date/milage.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM
009Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by korby
If I had it to do all over I would not purchase a Mini or BMW product .
I am of the same opinion. My car had the timing tensioner chain issue (and it may be coming back), A/C rattle, clutch popping noise, noisy sunroof and a few minor sensor and trim issues. I was at the dealer today getting a brake wear sensor replaced. All of the problems were fixed through many dealer visits, and the car has been dependable. No catastrophic, leave-me-on-the-side-of-the-road failures, though I am concerned about the clutch now since it has slipped 3 times recently. My SA has already said the clutch will be covered under the maintenance plan when it does finally go.

I never buy extended warranties, but did on this one. Unlike almost everything else I have ever owned, I do not have confidence in this car. I had a '73 Fiat 128 Rally and a '69 Z/28 that would leave me stranded regularly, but 25+ other cars with almost no issues. Most of the cars, the bugs were ironed out early (first 10k miles) and then be problem free for the next 60-100k miles. This car has 56,000 on it and stuff still happens. I may own an older M3 or Z3 someday, but I'm done with new BMW products.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone's experiences are anecdotal, but the only good data we have shows Mini's to be average to below average in reliability. If reliabilty is #1 in importance and you're not the sort that can "roll with the punch" with an occasional problem, I'd get a Honda or Toyota. But for most, the car is reasonably reliable and can give good service if you're willing to risk a few problems. They are no guarantees, no matter what you buy - there are some real horror stories out there for every make.

One thing I would absolutely insist on with a new Mini - a dealership that is within comfortable driving distance.

- Mark

Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 PM
daryl70
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ufomini
Mopeds are said to be pretty reliable as well.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Mine is the best car I've ever owned. (vs. BMW, GMC, Chev, Ford, Honda) No problems at all. I commute 50 miles a day in mine.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM
miniemee
3rd Gear
My 07s with 44k is generally reliable. No HPEP no timing chain or tensioner issues yet. The HPEP is warranted for ten years at this point. A few minor issues involving thermostat housing, return spring on the turbo, and failed ac resulting in replacement of the Engine Control Unit but nothing that has made the vehicle have to be towed.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Peanut61
Banned
from my experience, if you are looking for a get in, turn the key, dependable/trouble free 100,000 mile car, the Mini is not gonna be it. It is just not made that way. Neat/fun car, yes....dependable, no

I say keep looking

Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
You could always get two MINI's so you'll always have a spare, like I did.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is coming up on 3 years old and I've never had a single problem. I've also been around cars for most of my 50 years and never had a problem with any car I've owned. I've had Nissans, VW's, Audi and now MINI and never had a problem with any of them, but you'll read a lot of negative on all of their message boards.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read about all the problems too and bought one anyway. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
Dude
You on live once + might as well have fun while you can . Drink the kool-aid and Motor on in a Cooper and never wipe the smile off your face .
El Tiger

Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
The MINI is not going to be your most reliable choice. Your question reminds me of a poster we had in our IT department "You want user friendly, get a dog". If you want reliable, get a Honda. The MINI's an amazingly fun vehicle that will turn (some) heads. Prices are high, as are re-sale value. Because the models don't change significantly your car doesn't look dated every 5 years like other brands. Just have realistic expectations and you wont be disappointed.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM
kwongsoo
1st Gear
Look at the govt, it spend billions of dollar on technology, and still gets problems in there systems. Like anything in life, you have to take the bad with the good!

At least the warranty is better than most vehicles...thats a plus! <(' ' <)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
djdraddy
Banned
Like I said...Go buy a Honda, you don't sound like you're a Mini person.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by djdraddy
Like I said...Go buy a Honda, you don't sound like you're a Mini person.
That's really helpful. What does a MINI person sound like? The OP had some basic reliabilty questions prior to plunking down thousdands of dollars. I don't see how that's un-MINI

Quick Reply: R56 Issues, issues, issues. Are they all this bad?