Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Performance tires in 16"?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Performance tires in 16"?

Now that I'm finally putting some miles on my car I'm interested in replacing the almost new runflats that came on the car with something that will perform a bit better. I want to keep the factory 16" wheels. From searching and reading on here the 205/55-16 seems like the best replacement size for fit and selection. I had been looking at the performance all-season tires because I need good rainy performance. But, after further reading it sounds like the summer tires are good for rain but maybe not colder weather.

The Mini is to be used as an everyday driver during spring, summer and fall. So, no need for it to be able to perform in snow. However, it could be used in 20-30 degree temperatures. I would like good dry and rainy traction. However, I drive a lot for work and could put 15-20k miles per year just on this car. So, treadwear is important as well.

With the treadwear importance it still seems like a good performance all-season would work best for me. Something like the Continental DWS06 or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

Any other suggestions? Especially anyone else in a similar climate and conditions?

Thanks.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:47 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Do what I did. Get summer wheels mounted to your "good rims" and buy a set of used rims and get snow tires for your winter wheels

There are a lot of 16" wheels for sale online, criagslist, Facebook, here

Fortunately I, and sounds like you, dont have to drive the Mini in the winter months so might as well get some performance tires for the time you drive it. Look at the reviews for the Firestone Indy 500 tires on Tire Rack. I had them and they were incredible tires. Best part, cheap too, price, not quality

The following users liked this post:
Kcyotz (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
Do what I did. Get summer wheels mounted to your "good rims" and buy a set of used rims and get snow tires for your winter wheels

There are a lot of 16" wheels for sale online, criagslist, Facebook, here

Fortunately I, and sounds like you, dont have to drive the Mini in the winter months so might as well get some performance tires for the time you drive it. Look at the reviews for the Firestone Indy 500 tires on Tire Rack. I had them and they were incredible tires. Best part, cheap too, price, not quality
How were the Indy 500 tires in the rain?

Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Mini_Vinnie
No issues at all! Honestly, the run flats were 100x worse in the rain. I was pretty nervous about run flats in the wet

The following users liked this post:
Kcyotz (03-13-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:13 AM
UndeR55dawg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (195/55-16) in November and so far I'm luvin it! Way more more responsive in the wet and dry, a little squirrely in the snow but still a massive improvement over the old Conti run flats!

Old 03-15-2019, 04:21 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
it sounds like the summer tires are good for rain but maybe not colder weather.

If talking about a "max performance summer tire" that's an understatement. Here's what Tire Rack says about the Eagle F1 Asymmetric .....

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is Goodyear's Max Performance Summer tire developed for the drivers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans. In addition to being designed to deliver improved handling and steering response, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 features Goodyear ActiveBraking Technology to enhance stopping performance on dry and wet roads. However, like all summer tires, it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Goodyear's warranty states: "Ultra high-performance summer tires are not recommended for winter use, and tread or shoulder cracking on those tires resulting from winter use will not be covered under our warranty."

These tires came as original equipment on my Focus ST and the owner's manual supplement for the ST model had this warning in similar language: the tires are for warm weather use only and in temps near or below freezing could be dangerous. Having bought the car in Florida it was not a big issue for me .... only later did they start offering an all season tire as an alternative.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm running 205/50-16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 in the summer. Very close in size vs. the original 195/55-16. No complaints, loads of grip both in dry and wet. I even did a track day in the wet with them and came out alive. They are of course useless in the snow, but that's what the winter tires are for.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
Thanks to all for the info. It sounds like the summer tires can't take temps below 35 degrees or so. Where I live I can see that in the morning with 60-70 degree temps in the afternoon during spring and fall. Without a dedicated set of all-season or winter tires it just doesn't seem feasible for me. I think I'm better off just sticking to the high performance all season tires like the DWS06 or the Michelin sport all season.

Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Mini_Vinnie
You got to remember, roads are going to be warmer than air temperature, unless you start your day at 5am like I do. Once traffic gets on roads they warm up

Old 03-16-2019, 12:51 PM
countryman13
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the General Gmax A/S 05's and I liked them a lot. For an A/S they handled great

Old 04-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Kcyotz
2nd Gear
FYI, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in 205/55ZR16. There are three speed ratings available for these tires-H, V and Z. Speed ratings are more than just how fast you can drive but also equate to sidewall stiffness and handling with Z being the best of the three for handling.

These fit the factory 16" wheels perfectly and with no rubbing issues with my stock suspension.

The ride is much better than the Driveguard tires. Handling is very good. These have much better traction than the stock Driveguard tires. The stock tires would break loose and the car would kick in traction control on dry pavement in first, second and third gear even without flooring the gas. These Michelins haven't done that at all even in first without really flooring it from a dead stop.

Overall these tires are a really good high performance all season replacement for the stock tires.