Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

17" Tyres for Clubman in Las Vegas - "All Season" or "Summer"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 AM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17" Tyres for Clubman in Las Vegas - "All Season" or "Summer"?

I'm looking into new non-run-flat tyres for my '09 Clubman S (205/45/17).

I live in Las Vegas, so exposure to snow is minimal (occasional trip to Mt Charleston/Utah - I've driven in snow maybe an average of 3-4 days per year since I've lived here). However, rain is a factor for about 30 days out of the year, and the roads get VERY slick here when wet.

Given the weather here, I'm torn between "all season" and "summer" tyres.

Priorities are comfort, grip, and price (under $130-140 ea, and ideally $90-120 ea). I don't do any AutoX, etc. Just daily "spirited" driving. The run-flats I have caused me to call my MINI the "fun" car, and my wife's Mazda 2 the "soft, squishy" car. I'd like to get some added comfort to go along with the fun in the MINI.

After reading several tyre threads here, my first inclinations were:

Kumho Ecsta 4X
Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Both of those, as I understand it, are "all season". But, what else, if anything, should I consider?

Thanks for helping me beat a dead horse with yet another "which tyre" thread.

Cheers.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
Sounds like you are certain to experience snow, so I'd say go with a good all-season.
I had both of those on my list, and went with the DWS for my DD, partially based on Tire Rack recommendation. So far, so good, but hoping for snow sometime soon.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
DWS all the way. They are quiet and excellent in all weather including snow. Many use them and I have been using them for several years in the NE. You won't be disappointed.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 AM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
temperature is also a consideration with "summer" tires

i have never had a car with summer tires before the 2012 cms all4

i purposely drove my all4 with the oem 225/45-18 pirelli p7 summer run-flats in sub 30F temps and they were like driving on the rims, virtually no traction in all modes, accelerating, cornering and braking

i put my winter tires on that same day

scott

Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive regularly between Wyoming and Las Vegas. So I see summer heat, rain, slush and snow. I'm on my 3rd set of tires (OEM Continental A/S runflats, BF Goodrich A/S non-runflats). I now have about 7K miles on these and have been very pleased.

Yokohama YK580 (available through Discount Tire)

You would have to do a +0 size to 225/45-17 but that should fit.

Reviews:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...14512&sw=false

http://www.epinions.com/review/Yokoh...t_585295105668

Also: Consider joining the Sin City MINI Club (SCMC). Membership benefits include a member discount at local LV Discount Tire outlets (at least the one on Craig Ave honored it).

http://sincityminiclub.com/

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Continental DSW

DSW all the way, you won't regret it!!, I replaced my Run flats Pirellis with the DSW and I'm very happy with them, quiet and Comfy

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to see snow, all season is going to be more appropriate. Summers aren't supposed to used in near freezing temperature, or snow.

Having said that, an all season tire is a compromise and you're not going to find one with the grip of a good summer tire. We run DWS tires on Tristan, in the dry they definitely don't have the grip of a good summer tire (we run DW tires on the JCW), I can feel them slipping if I get too enthusiastic (which can be entertaining in its own way). I can also make them brake lose quite easily taking off too fast (with an embarrasing chirp), even with all the power of a JustaCooper. Braking is pretty good though, I can pull more than 1g in a stop.

The DWS are very good in the wet, they have more grip than I've ever felt comfortable using when its wet. I've never felt them give a hint of slipping. They give me more confidence in the wet than the dry. I never noticed any reduction in grip in near freezing temperatures either. I haven't seen freezing or snow with them, their reputation is very good in snow.

The DWS are a good compromise. They're also the quietest and most comfortable tires I've used.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
most summer tires have very good wet weather performance - at least on par with an all season. But where they get iffy is in low temps - say below 45deg. I am running the Pirelli PZero Nero's on my MCS in northern CA, and they are working just great even in the winter. It is well below 40 many mornings and I haven't had issues - A/S would have better traction in the cold for sure. But it's all about what you want to compromise and I would rather give up some cold grip for better warm weather dry grip and then take it easy when it's cold out. However - I would never drive them in the snow. I have a set of Blizzaks that I will be installing soon for trips to Tahoe when it isn't too crazy - when it gets bad then I take the SUV - also on Blizzaks.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
take it easy when it's cold out.
I pushed my summers very late last year due to scheduling. Once you get into an "Oh Sh!*" scenario, in the 40's on a wet day, you'll regret not making the change earlier. Accident avoidance, that you can't control for instance.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Jay H
2nd Gear
I have to jump in on this conversation...

It's my experience that a good quality summer tire is far superior in all conditions (rain, dry, heat, handling, braking) to any all season in temps above 40 or so. I would think in Vegas and in the south, I'd choose only a summer tire for it's superior dry, heat and wet weather traction over an all season that is by nature a compromised design.

I've been running Blizzaks, Continental and other winter tires for over 20 years now and even a cheap winter tire is superior to any all season tire in (of course) snow, but also on dry, frozen pavement. Braking response is incredible on snow tires on cold pavement as compared to an all season.

You don't wear dress shoes to a track meet and bowling in tennis shoes sucks. Equip your car with the best shoes for the job at hand.

Tires are everything.

Last edited by Jay H; 01-07-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
HarleyFLTR
1st Gear
I live just outside of Vegas (Pahrump) and went with the Goodyear Eagle GT 205/45/17, they are considered a high performance all season tire.
The main reason I choose the Goodyear Eagle GT over the BF Goodrich TA, was the built in rim protector on the Goodyears.
I purchased mine from Discount Tire for around $95. ea.
As previously mentioned, it isn't just the rain and snow that I took into consideration but the below freezing temperatures that we'll experience thru out the winter.
I have about 6,000 miles with no appreciable signs of wear.