Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rota wheel quality

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM
mcart5
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rota wheel quality

Hi all, My stock rims(16x6.5) on my R53 are bent so I was thinking about purchasing a new set of Rota's in the 17x7.5 size and take care of future Big Brake conversions. I am also looking at NM wheels which are more expensive. My question is about the quality of Rota and NM wheels and any comments on durability, balancing. As the roads are not very good should I stick with 16's instead of 17's and forget the big brakes. Thanks

mcart5

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mcart5
Hi all, My stock rims(16x6.5) on my R53 are bent so I was thinking about purchasing a new set of Rota's in the 17x7.5 size and take care of future Big Brake conversions. I am also looking at NM wheels which are more expensive. My question is about the quality of Rota and NM wheels and any comments on durability, balancing. As the roads are not very good should I stick with 16's instead of 17's and forget the big brakes. Thanks

mcart5
My first suggestion is that you learn to use proper grammar.

My second is that you search for wheel failures. Many wheels fail. Rotas have a reputation for failing (breaking) because they are cheaply cast. Any cheaply cast wheel will break easily. They may take more force to bend than a forged wheel.

It's a bit like getting cut off my Toyota Corollas. Part of it is that it's a poorly made wheel, part of it is the sheer number.

As far as roads go, 16 will probably be safer; run higher tire pressure if in doubt.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:44 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Why do you need big brakes? For looks or do you track your MINI.

If you are only going for looks then you may need the larger diameter wheels which add to costs for tires and for light wheels in 17".

As a practical matter, how are your roads? bumpy and full of potholes or good?

If you don't drive on good roads then using 17" tire sizes will mean you are likely to use 205/45-17 or more likely 215/45-17. What is your suspension? If stock then you will have room for either tire.

If you care about ride comfort for street use then the exact tire you choose will make a big difference. Michelin Pilot Super Sport being the tire of choice but it will cost more.

NM and Rota wheels are OK, having 16" wheels allows you to choose tire sizes with more sidewall like 205/55-16, this allows for a little more sidewall to cushion going over potholes and bumps and decreasing damage to your rims.

I guess the other question is how did you end up damaging your OEM 16" rim and what tire was on it (tire size) at the time? If you were on OEM runflats in 291/55-16 then those are very stiff sidewalled and won't protect the rims.

One thing about Rota rims is depending on which rim you choose the 16" rims will be lighter than the 17" rims and maybe cost less too. If it is only a few pounds then it's OK but generally less weight in the tire and wheel is desireable.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM
mcart5
1st Gear
I am primarily looking for a good quality wheel,and I don't know much about ROTA quality. As the old wheels have gone through a lot of freeway and Los Angeles pot hole roads and are in bad shape after 120K miles. I don't care about the looks of the 17 wheel, I was just thinking that the bigger brakes will perform better than I got at the moment which is stock rotors with SS lines and EBC pads. I know that the 16 wheel will be ok, as I drive a lot of miles the first thing I did to the car was put on Koni FSD struts which helped with the ride as the stock shocks transmit every freeway crack.

Mcart5

Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
minihune
Will big brakes perform better than stock rotors and EBC pads? For street use, probably not or very slightly. On a track, different story.

I think what you want is better braking and stopping distance. If so then:

Always make sure that your brake fluid is fresh, if you do lots of miles then flush and refill every 1-2 years.
Stock rotors are fine, match them with street pads that bite a little more- try contacting Way at Way motor works and let him know which EBC pads you have now.
Choose tires that give you better stopping grip, not all tires do well.
Decrease wheel weight if you can, less effort is needed to stop a lighter wheel/tire.

Consider Enkei Racing wheels, they may cost a bit more but they are relatively light and stronger than Rotas.

Sounds like your roads aren't good, a 16" wheel and 205/55-16 tires for street use would be a good solution.

What are your current tires?

On a budget in 205/55-16 there are some good choices like-
Kumho Ecsta LE Sport $85.54 each, 280 treadwear

Other Max Summer tires in the same size-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y
For street comfort, Continental ExtremeContact DW $98.39, 300 treadwear
For handling and performance Bridgestone S-04 $110.65 each, 280 treadwear
see tirerack test for both-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=190

Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM
mcart5
1st Gear
Thanks minhune for the info. Actually I have been using the Kumho Ecsta for over 4 years with the stock size of 195/55/16 and I have been getting good wear & performance.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:38 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 2013 JCW that is lowered 2" and runs 235/40/17 Rota RBs with Sumituomo HTRZ II rubber and the only problem I have is answering the MANY requests as to where I got them and how much . Tires,springs,rubber,spacers, studs, labor (I do my own) all for under a grand.

ISAMIN

Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by isamin
I have a 2013 JCW that is lowered 2" and runs 235/40/17 Rota RBs with Sumituomo HTRZ II rubber and the only problem I have is answering the MANY requests as to where I got them and how much . Tires,springs,rubber,spacers, studs, labor (I do my own) all for under a grand.

ISAMIN
R53 MINIs do not have the same ride height and wheel clearance as newer MINIs beginning with R56.

A 1" drop limits clearance for any wider rims and wider tire sizes and may require cutting or trimming of the wheel arch plastic.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Type R 564
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rotas should be fine, I wouldnt use them on the track but they should be fine for driving around...

Old 08-30-2016, 04:29 AM
slo_crx1
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only time I ever had a rota fail from a breakage was when I tagged a boulder that fell off a dump truck on the highway. The outer lip portion split off, but the majority of the rim itself bent. Even a forged wheel would've been destroyed in that instance, but at least with the Rota's I didn't spend a fortune on them.

Most of the failure pics you see floating around the internet are extreme cases where driver's crashed their cars into some pretty solid objects, such as sliding into curbs at 60mph.