Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Any fix for noisy aftermarket brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any fix for noisy aftermarket brakes?

Hi, all,

Last summer I had some aftermarket brakes/rotors installs. They were not cheap. The rotors are aftermarket OEM equivalent…supposedly. (Which, they look like OEM, but they rust like crazy…way worse than OEM.) The brakes are hawks…and the rotors may be as well. I need to find the receipt to make sure, but they are sooooooo noisy. They have been since I had them installed. I regret not going to the dealer and getting the real deal. I took it to the dealer and had them check the brakes, and they said they're just noisy aftermarket brakes. I wanted to replace them, and the service manager said they had plenty of life. He recommended using them up and not waisting money, but these things are driving me crazy! They're so embarrassing.

Anyway, every time I barely touch the brake there is a loud "click." (I can touch it over and over and over quickly, and it clicks every time. "Click, Click, Click, etc.) It's loud! Then, as I come to a stop there is a loud pulsating grinding sound. I can't feel the pulsating through the pedal, so I don't think the rotor is warped. This has been the case since these were installed. Anyone ever experience any of this with aftermarket brakes? Is there any kind of fix?

Thank you for your input!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
HAWK brakes are unfortunately going to be noisy unless you buy their ceramic street pads. HAWK is known mostly for track application. You may have luck contacting HAWK yourself and asking if they will switch these pads out with their ceramic ones as you're very unsatisfied. Do you have slotted rotors? The click could be the wear sensor indicator clicking on the slots as they rotate. Are you feeling a vibration? How hard are you braking? Is the click rotation or only happen under braking?

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-15-2015, 12:58 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
see post #30 and check that the lug nuts or bolts are the right length to lock the wheel with no extra play (length too long).
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Experts-NEEDED!

Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Luccia, the rotors aren't slotted. I don't feel an vibration through the brake pedal. I only hear the pulsating grinding noise while braking. The click happens every time I touch the brake. It's just one single "click" every time I start pushing the brake. Both of these sounds can only be heard when braking.

minihune, that actually sounds a lot like my situation. I suppose I can remove the rotors, take them to a shop, and have them checked. I'm tempted to just buy OEM rotors and brakes and install them myself. We moved to Oklahoma from New Jersey last summer right after we had these installed, so I first noticed it as we traveled across the country during the move. Of course, at that point it was too late to take it back to the shop where I had it done, so I'm on my own with this. (I couldn't do it myself when we lived in New Jersey, because I didn't have a place to change brakes. Now we have a garage, so I think I can take care of it myself. I've changed brakes before…just never on the MINI. However, it was a pain in the butt when I did it on my previous car, so I'm sure it'll be a tough job on the MINI as well.)

Old 05-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Sounds to me like a caliper is hanging up and nothing to do with the rotors or pads

I'd start by pulling each pin and applying proper lube

if that does not fix it I'd pull the caliper and inspect the piston esp' under the sleeve for a nick that might be causing it to hang up . . .

AND inspect the rotor faces carefully ......

Old 05-16-2015, 04:16 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Permatex and CRC both make a product called Brake Quiet. You spray it on the backs of the brake pads and it forms a plastic film that absorbs the vibration made by a squealing brake pad. It won't cure any pulsating, but it will stop the pads from shifting, clicking and squealing.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniSuperCooper
Luccia, the rotors aren't slotted. I don't feel an vibration through the brake pedal. I only hear the pulsating grinding noise while braking. The click happens every time I touch the brake. It's just one single "click" every time I start pushing the brake. Both of these sounds can only be heard when braking.
Did you have a shop do the install on the brakes/rotors. Usually shops provide a warranty with work performed so you may be able to take it back with your complaint and see what they say.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Pin sliders sounds like the issues. Do you have a Gen 1 MINI or Gen 2 ? Which hawk pads ?

The paste works good for the squeal issues.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2677434__ES2594078/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
As for rust...
Rotors are cast iron....
Different manufactures add different trace elements, some add extra carbon, or even a bit of copper (ebc), but they all rust...
Many offer a "premium" version that usually has painted "hats" and sometimes has a coating added inside the vents...
But brakes rust...go use them...polish them up!!
And as stated above, get them looked at...
Sounds like the combo of lack of lube and hard pads are causing your noises.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
p.s.

that brake lube is available at any parts store

either in those little packets or in a tube for 'larger users' .....

EBC pads I've bought over the last few years had a pack in the box.

Point being ... don't order it .... buy it at the place around the corner

NO..... MINI brake lube is NOT special . . . .