Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What do you do with a flat tire on a non run flat tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 AM
mazeone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you do with a flat tire on a non run flat tire?

Just got rid of those run flat tires and replaced them with some traditional tires. What is everyone doing in the case you get a flat tire on the road? I have triple aaa but cant see missing a day of work because im stuck on the side of the road with a flat. I was thinking of purchasing the fix a flat kit that comes with the the pump that plugs into the lighter outlet. Just looking to see what everyone else is doing. Thx

Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Boyurlazy
Neutral
I have a spare in the trunk, lol

Old 03-30-2015, 10:01 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I carry this:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rPicks&refType=

The bag is great for carrying a few car care items, a shop rag or two and an extra qt. of oil.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:41 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I use one of these
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
Since I bought the tires from Tire Rack anyway, I went with what they sold for temporary flat repair. Fortunately I've never had to use it. As long as it works and is easy for the tire repair place to clean up from afterwards, I'll be satisfied.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:26 PM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mazeone
Just got rid of those run flat tires and replaced them with some traditional tires. What is everyone doing in the case you get a flat tire on the road? I have triple aaa but cant see missing a day of work because im stuck on the side of the road with a flat. I was thinking of purchasing the fix a flat kit that comes with the the pump that plugs into the lighter outlet. Just looking to see what everyone else is doing. Thx
Most owners with non-RF tires usually carry a 12V tire inflator, some Fix-a-flat, and a plug kit to try and get moving again (like I do). Not sure how well this actually works in real life.

It pretty much depends on what caused the flat. These may temporarily fix a slow leak you didn't notice, or running over a nail in the center of your tread, etc. But if you have a flat due to a sidewall cut, damage from running over a large piece of metal, a blowout, etc. you'll still need to call AAA, MINI Roadside Assistance, etc.

I got my non-RF Michelins at Tire Rack, and they came with a 3 year free road-hazard towing from Michelin, and the free Tire Rack 2 year Road Hazard warranty. So at least I got a few numbers to call if I end up with a non-repairable flat.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:14 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
There is also this kind of sealant. It looks to be more promising than the slime stuff
http://permasealtire.com/

Jay Leno demonstrated this product on his website.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 PM
neonsteve
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As someone else said, a plug kit, a can of fix-a-flat (Slime brand), a small 12 volt compressor, and a tire gauge.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by kaneguy
There is also this kind of sealant. It looks to be more promising than the slime stuff http://permasealtire.com/
+1 on 'PermaSeal'. This is the stuff a friend uses. We were an a road trip when something was hit that broke over a valve stem on his MINI. We were able to get enough air into the tire with my pump and the permaseal held the valve stem shut long enough for us to drive near 40 miles to a tire shop for repair.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a spare, and it was one of the reasons I chose a non-S over an S...My job takes me off the beaten path too often to risk getting stranded with a shredded tire that can't be fixed with plugs or goop. Call me old-fashioned, but I need a spare.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I was looking for more information on PermaSeal and read it has to be replaced periodically. I can't find anything about that on their web page, but if that is true, that is something to consider before committing to it.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:59 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
I recently installed my new rims and tires. The first week I put one of my stock wheels(runflat) in the trunk. It took up a lot of space, and I can feel the extra weight in the car. I took it out and now I just have a dynaplug kit with a dynaplug compressor.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
maybe runflats aren't so bad . . . .

does your wife ever drive the car? Can she Dynaplug / Slime / Fix A Flat, hook up the pump after removing the valve?????

Makes me remember why I bought my first cell phone . . . . for her who had to drive thru ruff parts of town at night . . .

AAA is good .... but sometimes not needing to stop is better . . .

Old 03-31-2015, 03:57 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I have a spare hanging under my 2003 MINI Cooper, but I also keep a Dynaplug Pro kit:
http://www.dynaplug.com/pro.html
They do make a couple cheaper models that are almost as easy to use.

I've plugged many tires over the years. Used to use the other kind of plug repair kit
but I like the Dynaplug better since it became available.

I also keep a high volume bicycle pump in the boot (this one):
http://www.kmart.com/bell-sports-702...1&blockType=G1

As long as the hole is not too big and in the tread not too close to the edge, it's
pretty easy to fix on the road. Can usually do it without even removing the tire
if you rotate it to the right position.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
+1 on 'PermaSeal'. This is the stuff a friend uses. We were an a road trip when something was hit that broke over a valve stem on his MINI. We were able to get enough air into the tire with my pump and the permaseal held the valve stem shut long enough for us to drive near 40 miles to a tire shop for repair.
To eliminate any risk of the gross inconvenience of a flat in the middle of nowhere, during inclement weather and hours from roadside assistance, I have complemented the Permaseal or Tyreshield in our case with a simple solution-- a donut spare and a scissors jack. They are now pemanent loose equipment. Using a plug kit by the way may pose a far greater challenge while trying to find the leak at night during a rain or snow storm. PS-many thanks to Fly'n Brick and his charming bride for flying our wing that day.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 04-01-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
PermaSeal sounds like you are creating a runflat tire. I'd vote for carrying a spare, old fashioned back up is best.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That is kinda true. Runflats were designed to run while the tire is flat or nearly flat by the design of the sidewalls. The side walls are much stiffer than the non-runflat there by able to carry the load while flat for a limited amount of time. It still must be replaced as soon as possible. The harsher ride of the runflats are due to the stiffer sidewalls. The permaseal solution and other internal sealants actually seals the tire after puncture and the tire remains pressurize with little loss of pressure so the tire integrity remains intact after puncture. One caveat, regular inspection of the tire must be done to ensure that a nail is not embedded for extended time since the tire may remain under full pressure. I guess the best solution is to use the sealant and carry a repair kit to cover all possibilities.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM
dmyer
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mazeone
I Have the BMW Fix flat kit tucked into my right rear side pocket.... So far I have never needed it. Unless you have a catastrophic/blowout flat.... that should suffice IMO.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:15 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
As I understand it, Fix-A-Flat ruins the Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensor, Slime does not.

Dave

Old 04-04-2015, 07:43 AM
sabrownfl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by neonsteve
As someone else said, a plug kit, a can of fix-a-flat (Slime brand), a small 12 volt compressor, and a tire gauge.
That exact "package" is what I carried in my 2006 MX5 Miata for the last 8 years. The plug kit was my addition to the "mobility kit" that came mounted in the trunk in a nylon bag.

Never needed any of it... but then maybe i'm just lucky. I've been driving for 34 years and have NEVER been stranded with a flat tire. (Looks around for wood to knock on...)

Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I've only ever had slow leaks (knock on wood), but a friend of mine had an incident where only a spare or RFs helped: he hit a piece of rebar on the road, and it punctured the tire AND the rim. He had RFs and was able to drive home, but had to get a new rim. I still have my RFs but will switch to non-RFs for the summer soon, and will carry a slime and plug kit with compressor. Just pay attention to what slime or goo or fixit you get, they ll come in standard version and in versions that are TPMS safe. Check the bottle!!!!
For my winter tires (since I'll be moving up to AK) I will be sticking to RFs just for the added safety and security of not having to stop and fix in bad spots. Now THAT is an advantage even RFs have over other solutions: you don't have to stop right away!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Scanner
2nd Gear
call me extreme but...I did a rear seat delete and j-bolt holding full spare with matching wheel...essentially created a ghetto R53 roadster

Old 04-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Jephen19
2nd Gear
I carry a plug kit and a small compressor. Takes forever to pump to full but it works. Fits in the side pocket of the rear door in the Clubman. I also have a bottle of Slime in case I can't find the nail/puncture. Never used the Slime on the MINI but have on a fiend's BMW. Slime is not a permanent fix though, always best to have your tire professionally plugged and patched from the inside. You're likely to get dirty looks from the tire repair guys as Slime is a pain to remove.

AAA card in the glovebox is the last backup, and in case the girlfriend borrows my car when hers is in the shop.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Osteo
1st Gear
As I'm getting non-runflats next week I'm starting to think about tire protection as well. I've only ever had a flat once... 4hrs away from home while driving out Tuscon, ironically right after a day spent relaxing at an outdoor sauna/hydrotherapy place, in a very small out of the way town.

Once I realized I had a flat, I drove the nearest gas station for directions to the local garage... which ironically closed 30min before we got there. Needless to say I was pissed, so proceeded to change my tire and as the shop still had their store open (Canadian Tire) decided I may as well plug the tire and drive home instead of driving home 6hrs with the donut.

I was far from clean and relaxed after that! but I now carry a plug kit .... but need to put one in the Mini.

The PermaSeal looks interesting. I use a similar product in my tubeless mtn bike tires, same idea 2oz rolls around and coats the inside every couple months you are supposed to add a bit more to keep it liquid (I always forget). As a liquid it looks and has the consistency of 1-2% milk, when it hardens / drys out inside the tire is looks like a tiny rubber asteriod! Think I'll see if I can source PermaSeal here, my mechanic buddy would kill me if I ever put Slime in my wheel, pretty sure he said once that it is can be dangerous when they remove a tire.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Csbdr
3rd Gear
MB compact spare, DubNutz adapter plate/tool kit, electric pump and full size spare waiting in the garage when I get home