Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Camber13
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Run Flats?

Hello all-

We are replacing our tires, currently Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports, managed to get 40k miles out of them.

Suggestions for the best run flats available?

thanks!

Last edited by Camber13; 04-22-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add text
Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Check these at Tirerack (talk to Alex@tirerack.com or use extention 4294)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...55&diameter=17

Seem like the best value is the
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season runflat at $140 each on special. 500 treadwear, H speed rating.

The ContiProContact SSR is the only other all season runflat but costs much more.

The other runflats are summer tires and may be firm riding, cost more and wear out faster.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any non run flat

Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Camber13
Hello all-

We are replacing the tires on our smokin' hot red 2011 Countryman S, currently Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sports, 205/55R17s, managed to get 40k miles out of them.

My wife drives the car enough that she would like to keep run flats. Suggestions for the best run flats available?

thanks!
There are no good RFT tires.
It's not just that their ride is overly harsh and that they are severely overpriced. The major problem for me is that all tire model choices available on RFT flavor are far inferior to proper performance summer tires.

My wife drives our MINI more than I do, and she strongly prefers the Michelin PSS's to the run-flops that were on the car previously.

I did add a Continental "Comfort" (aka compressor + sealant) Kit to the car:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...nce+and+Safety

The 50 mile "belly up" radius touted by RFT advocates is useless to us. On a major road trip - it is terminal w/out a compressor + sealant kit or a spare tire. On an around-town commute, a puncture (no matter how large - and I had a few over the years) is never so dramatic as to deflate the tire without warning. So you can always pull over some place safe and either change the wheel (if you have a spare), pump the sealant in, or call AAA.

Basically, RFTs do not solve any real problems for us, but cost at least 150% over better quality, better riding, and better handling tires.

a

Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The driveguard is $175 at TireRack for 215/50-17 or 225/50-17.

As for preferring a colonoscopy over changing a tire (from the link), I did enjoy the sedative and slept through 99% of a colonoscopy. I have to change a tire at least 48
times each summer for autocrossing though.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
bluemax61
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard the new Bridgestones are cheaper than any other RFT. And the article that "pmsummer" posted a link to, is certainly of interest. I have a close friend who currently works for a BIG Firestone/Bridgestone plant here in town. I'm hoping I can talk him into getting me a set for my wife's cabrio, using his discount. I guess we'll see.

Although I like the idea of buying non-RFT's like "afadeev" mentioned, I'm leery of using any latex sealant in a tire. I've been told, once the sealant hardens, it's virtually impossible to balance a tire after using it. Not sure how "easy" it is to remove the sealant, but I would assume being latex, it shouldn't be that hard. But then you're having to trust in the tire shop to get it removed. A "donut" spare? If it'll fit in the trunk, that might be an alternative too.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemax61
Although I like the idea of buying non-RFT's like "afadeev" mentioned, I'm leery of using any latex sealant in a tire. I've been told, once the sealant hardens, it's virtually impossible to balance a tire after using it. Not sure how "easy" it is to remove the sealant, but I would assume being latex, it shouldn't be that hard. But then you're having to trust in the tire shop to get it removed. A "donut" spare? If it'll fit in the trunk, that might be an alternative too.
I've had punctures in regular and RFT tires, replaced with spares and sealed with silicone.

On 2 punctures with RFT tires, I had ran long enough on under-inflated tires to visibly and permanently damage the sidewalls. You could only see the damage once the tire was removed, with plenty of rubber pieces broken off the over-flexed sidewall. Both RFTs were done for.

With regular tires, I used a sealant once (Conti comfort kit sealant), and the tire shop was able to remove the goo from the TPMS sensor and the inside of the tire, repair it, and remount + balance it perfectly.

Another time I took a metal rood through the sidewall of Bridgestone RE-11 tire on my bimmer. Though it rapidly deflated, I was able to safely exit the highway and change the tire at a rest stop down the road driving on the stiff sidewall.

Morals of the story:
1). You don't need an RFT tire to exit the highway safely, even with catastrophic tire damage.
2). Both RFT and donuts give you a very limited travel range once the primary tire is damaged. Usually ~50 miles, then they are done for and you are stuck. That is usually sufficient for most daily driver commutes, but totally worthless during a road trip.
3). Quality tire sealant (and or a DIY tire plug) is a viable way to stay on the road for much longer than 50 miles.

a