Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

16" winter tire choices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
16" winter tire choices?

I search on NAM but had a hard time finding any information due to the word string being too common... winter or tires

Looking on tire rack for 16" runflat winter tires.
I'm thinking of the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT or the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP

Any body else running 16" winter tires?
I'v just got some non runflat for the summer but I'm thinking it might just be easier for the winter to get the run-flat. Any thoughts on that?

Also tire rack seems to propose two size 195x55x16 or 205x50x16.
The currently mounted all season are 195. I'm not sure why they would propose 205 as it would make the speedo error even worse than it already is (seems to be 3 ml/hr below real speed)

Old 09-21-2013, 03:37 PM
curly2k3
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why bother limiting to runflat options? There are a LOT of excellent winter tires now in the $95-135 a pop range. Generals were great, Winterforces are the best bang for the buck on a budget and Nokian's are IMO the best all around winter tire made.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm running the blizzaks in 195/55-16. Ws-70's I think. Was fairly skeptical my car would be worth a crap in the snow but it did very well in the snow with these.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by curly2k3
Why bother limiting to runflat options? There are a LOT of excellent winter tires now in the $95-135 a pop range. Generals were great, Winterforces are the best bang for the buck on a budget and Nokian's are IMO the best all around winter tire made.
I hear you . . . We can't have the spare in the boot all the time. My wife need the space. We have tire plugs and slim+compressor kit in case but I just figured it might just be easier not to have to deal with a flat in the winter. That's really the main reason, simply convenience... otherwise you're right about more options in non-runflat

Originally Posted by R56BrgMcs
I'm running the blizzaks in 195/55-16. Ws-70's I think. Was fairly skeptical my car would be worth a crap in the snow but it did very well in the snow with these.
I'm a firm believer in snow tires. I've had good ones and it really makes a huge difference. I would take a FWD with snow tires over an AWD with all seasons any snow days

Old 09-21-2013, 08:06 PM
TG.
6th Gear
By the way, has anyone run the ContiProContact SSR all season in few inches of snow?

They are the one I have mounted on the 16" wheels . . . It's always a possibility but we can get a lot of snow in the winter so idk about keeping them . . .

Last edited by TG.; 09-22-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I ran 195/55-16 WS70 tires last winter and they were great. I can't fit 16s anymore (bigger BBK than last year), but I'll certainly consider them this winter if they're available in a workable size at the right price. I've had Continental ExtremeWinterContact and Blizzak WS60 on previous cars and found both of them to be quite good in the amount of snow that we get up here in Ohio as well.

--Matt

Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I put on the Michelin X-ice XI-2 last year, and was happy about the way they performed. I bought non-runflats, but had a bit of buyer's remorse that I didn't get runflats. So far, so good.

I don't want to worry about changing a tire in the slop and snow, rather go home and change it in the garage. Just my opinion.....

You're mounting them on a separate set of wheels, right? Makes life a bunch easier, rather than having tires swapped twice per year. There are almost always sets of wheels on here or craigslist for $300/$400.

There are also some significant rebates going on now, tirerack and tirebuyer.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 09-22-2013, 07:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Matt,
I've heard a lot of people liking the Blizzak very much especially on snow. However I've read quite a few times that they're great the first year but that the winter rubber compound is not all the way through the thread and that the performance drops too early when worn out.

Mike,
I've been quite interested in the Michelins, possibly Xice 3 knowing
I've read on the other hand that for winter tires they are better performer on dry/wet/and ice than snow and can slip a little with an inch or more of snow.

And yes we have two sets now. That's what I'v been doing with my other car for the last 5 or more years. It is so much more convenient
We ordered the car with the standard 16". They have the all season mounted on them right now.
Last week we got a set of 17" R112 with some true summer tires.
My plan was to replace the all season with winter before it gets here . . . and then sale the Conti RFT that have only 1365 miles on them.

I'm not a big fan of run flat BUT I quite agree with you that it seems a bit less problematic in the winter to have RFT. I haven't excluded non run-flat just yet but I'm leaning towards RFT right now.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TG.
Matt,
I've heard a lot of people liking the Blizzak very much especially on snow. However I've read quite a few times that they're great the first year but that the winter rubber compound is not all the way through the thread and that the performance drops too early when worn out.
I'm pretty sure that's the case with all winter tires. The real sticky winter compound is on the outside, and they wear down to something more akin to an all season tire. The specific amount of time, though, will be dependent upon the volume of driving to which they are exposed. I definitely had quite a lot of winter tread left on my WS70s after a season of driving.

--Matt