Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Yet another tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:05 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yet another tire question

I used the search and didnt find anything. I just bought my 08 cooper s, the front tires are new run flats, the rears are worn out all seasons. I want to replace all four tires at the same time and sell the runflats. My daily commute is about to change from 5 miles to 100 miles a day. I live in so cal, so dont have to worry about any snow at all, i have a truck for that. On OEM 17in wheels.

My requirements:
1.longevity, i dont want to replace the tires every 9 months.
2. grip

I was looking at the BFG G-force sport comp 2, continental extreme contact DW, and bridgestone re760 sport. Will any of these tires fit my needs or do i need to look elsewhere?

thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
My requirements:
1.longevity, i dont want to replace the tires every 9 months.
2. grip
Sorry but these don't go hand to hand. It is one or the other. Dunlop Pilot Super Sports or Conti DW's IMO are your best bet. Check out TireRacks review on both.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put on a set of pilot super sports. Great tires with a lot of grip. I believe they have a 30k warranty.

http://m.michelinman.com/tire-select...ot-super-sport

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3

Old 07-15-2013, 08:42 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
What would be the best compromise then? Im looking to get a solid 30k miles out of a set of tires. PSS dont seem to get that kind of life even with the warranty. Whats the life like on the conti DW's? Cant really find anything on tire rack that goes over the life of them.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Are you looking for just summer tires? Because I have Nitto Motivo's (all season's) on my TL and love them. They have a tread-wear of 560 and even withstood a day at Willow Springs. They have plenty of grip and are pretty quiet as well. However they're only available as 215's. Which might actually be fine because the increased width would compensate for the slightly lower grip that an all-season inherently has.

If you're going for a summer tire the Conti DW, Bridgestone RE760-Sport and BFG Sport Comp-2 have the highest tread-wear.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Not looking for just summer tires. But as it will never see snow i figured those would be preferable. I also realize that there is a trade off between tread wear and grip. I am open to all seasons but figured summer tires would work better for the conditions the car will see. Basically, im a tire noob.

The DW, 760, and sport comp2 were the three tires i was looking at because of the higher treadwear rating.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CougarsRFun
Not looking for just summer tires. But as it will never see snow i figured those would be preferable. I also realize that there is a trade off between tread wear and grip. I am open to all seasons but figured summer tires would work better for the conditions the car will see. Basically, im a tire noob.

The DW, 760, and sport comp2 were the three tires i was looking at because of the higher treadwear rating.
I have also run Continental DWS tires. I really like these and area real comfortable and quiet but are a little squirmy. Still a great all season.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear

From what I've read the DW's provide the most comfortable ride where as the Sport Comp's are less forgiving. The HTRZ-3' are also worth looking into. I'd like to suggest to keep your options open. I had a similar dilemma when buying tires for my TL. All in all I was happy I went with All-seasons despite my spirited driving and the many canyon-runs I do. Because at the end of the day buying a summer tire just for the additional grip I could only exploit when pushing the car to it's limits wasn't worth sacrificing a significant amount of tread-life or comfort that I'd want 95% of the time. There are many A/S tires out there that have a very good amount of grip but are also very quiet and long-lasting. How often do you push your car to its absolute limits?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3
I own these and love them, but he could probably go with pure summer tires instead since he's in SoCal.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:50 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
From what I've read the DW's provide the most comfortable ride where as the Sport Comp's are less forgiving. The HTRZ-3' are also worth looking into. I'd like to suggest to keep your options open. I had a similar dilemma when buying tires for my TL. All in all I was happy I went with All-seasons despite my spirited driving and the many canyon-runs I do. Because at the end of the day buying a summer tire just for the additional grip I could only exploit when pushing the car to it's limits wasn't worth sacrificing a significant amount of tread-life or comfort that I'd want 95% of the time. There are many A/S tires out there that have a very good amount of grip but are also very quiet and long-lasting. How often do you push your car to its absolute limits?
The car will most likely see spirited driving as often as i can on the weekends. No tracks or anything for now. Just commuting and taking the fun way back home. It now sounds like some all seasons might be the better choice. The michelins are quite pricey but if they actually last the 40k miles then they would be considered more highly. All of the posts on here say that the PSS doesnt last long at all, so of course thats out of the question. Not sure on the new all seasons from them.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
The new all seasons - the AS/3s are loverly. My driving profile is similar to yours. Daily driver with spiriting hill/curvy driving on the weekends.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Naylia
The new all seasons - the AS/3s are loverly. My driving profile is similar to yours. Daily driver with spiriting hill/curvy driving on the weekends.
I looked in to the AS/3's but holy bawls are they expensive. How does the conti DWS compare to the As/3? and or another tire i should be checking out?

The re760 and conti DW even though they wont last as long as the As/3, are much cheaper per mile than the AS/3.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Conti DWS (not DW) or Goodyear F1s are less expensive well reviewed tires that have higher tire life ratings.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:56 AM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
I looked in to the AS/3's but holy bawls are they expensive. How does the conti DWS compare to the As/3? and or another tire i should be checking out?

The re760 and conti DW even though they wont last as long as the As/3, are much cheaper per mile than the AS/3.
The DWS gets rad reviews but is an older design. The Nitto Motivo is priced similarly to the DWS but is a brand new design and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Here is my review along with someone else's.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854759
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/433304

As for your options, I think the DW might also be the best choice if you want a summer tire. How much is it costing you mile-per-mile between a summer and A/S tire?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in northern California and a really big fan of summer tires. However, I don't commute, let alone 100 miles per day.

I can understand not wanting to pay for the best (AS 3), so I'd recommend the best bargain/compromise available: Sumitomo HTR AS P01 205/45-17 88W for $79 at TireRack.com. 65k treadlife warranty, surprisingly strong test results.