Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wait, what? All Seasons are Runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait, what? All Seasons are Runflats?

Like many here, I don't care for the runflats that come standard on the 2013 MCS. So I opted for the All Season tires when I ordered my Mini.

Now I find that I have All Season Runflats. Wtf? Is that right? I was under the impression that the All season were not runflats and come with the doughnut spare. Did I just not pay enough attention or do I have a case here?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Yes, allseasons in the 16" and 17" sizes are RFTs. I believe the 15" tires are not RFTs but I could be wrong about that.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an S, you don't have room for a spare, because your twin exhaust pipes go right through where the spare would have to be. So yes, now even the All Seasons are runflats.

Non-S models have a spare, and in 2011 and prior, you could order the car with regular tires (mine came with them) but according to our MA, now they all have runflats 'but they are better than they used to be'. So even our non-S Coupe is coming with a spare, apparently, and runflats. (???) not here yet, so I can't confirm, but that is what the MA said.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413
Yes, allseasons in the 16" and 17" sizes are RFTs. I believe the 15" tires are not RFTs but I could be wrong about that.
(light bulb goes off) Of course that is right! The 15" is the difference too! We ordered 16" and couldn't get regular tires. Thank you for solving that puzzle!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
*sigh*

So my options are:
A) Stick with the tooth rattling runflats.
B) Purchase a new set of tires, but have no spare tire

I found a place to pickup a spare tire but it would have to live in the backseat. A somewhat less than optimal solution.

If the 15" tires are not runflat, where do they put the spare?

Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scamp
Lots of people do that, we do. We carry a can of slime, a compressor and a cell phone (and AAA membership).
The Cooper (not S) is the only version (in the US) which comes with 15" wheels, it has space under the boot for a spare. The MC's exhaust exits on the right of the rear (not the center like the MCS), so there's space under the left of the rear for a spare.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As well as, in the meantime, be sure to check your inflation pressure.

My 2012 MCS was delivered with 45+ lbs pressure in each tire!

Dialing it back to recommended pressure (34? It's on the door sticker) helped quite a bit. Still pretty harsh on impacts, though (Conti SSR All Seasons), but at least it was as good is it could be, versus over-inflated.

I'll go to regular summer tires when the snow tires / wheels come off, and use the slime / compressor / mobility kit + AAA + cell phone route next year.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
So my options are:
Most people just use the runflats and decide what to do when they wear out. Really, you can live with it. MINI couldn't sell cars if it wasn't the case. Consider that every S in the U.S. is delivered with runflats, and many non-S as well.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Most people just use the runflats and decide what to do when they wear out. Really, you can live with it. MINI couldn't sell cars if it wasn't the case. Consider that every S in the U.S. is delivered with runflats, and many non-S as well.
Yes, I could live with it. I could also "live" with a Toyota Yaris rather than a MCS. I just don't want to.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Yes, I could live with it. I could also "live" with a Toyota Yaris rather than a MCS. I just don't want to.
Lol! My 2012 Countryman has 17" RFTs. Already replaced one at under 1k miles. Will be replacing all four with regular tires when they wear out.

Easy enough to keep a spare at home.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:40 PM
seamusnh
1st Gear
I bought a used 2007 Mini Cooper S and it has runflats. I don't like the idea of not having a spare. I guess I can get a donut and put it in the back....

Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run non-SSR Blizzaks during the winter months (far superior traction to the all season OEM tires). On my '11 R56 the companion space saver spare I picked up from Chad lived in a nice canvas bag right behind the passenger seat back. Of course, I almost never had back seat passengers or a long-legged person riding shotgun. Most of the time I completely forgot it was back there. I thought it worked great there.

The Roadster boot has plenty of room for it.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Slime and a small compressor and a patch kit or [gasp] fix-a-flat can be carried if you are wary about having a flat and no spare. I absolutely hated my runflats and got rid of them as soon as they wore out and put new tires [non-runflats] all the way around. I have had no problems with either car and have about 45k on the Cooper and 85k on the S.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
For those of us with TPMS, fix-a-flat is supposed to be bad for the sensors. Slime will wash out.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I've never used fix-a-flat, but a can has found its way into the S...just in case. I have ths Slime pack, too, and the compressor

Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
95 times out of a hundred

if you could use slime, f a f, bubble gum or prayer

you could also use

http://www.dynaplug.com/

I've run these plugs for thousands of miles with NO problem .... and there is nothing to mess up a modern TPMS sensor, or wash out..

One of these and a small compressor is all you need - unless you REALLY trash a tire and then ain't nothing along this line is gonna fix you. Nothing replaces a trashed tire like a spare.

and when AAA gets there they are gonna tell you they don't have your tire size!!!!! But the local tire shop can get one tomorrow.

HELLLLLOOOOOOO - consider the problem from END to END !!!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM
LostDenverite
2nd Gear
*sigh*

So my options are:

I found a place to pickup a spare tire but it would have to live in the backseat. A somewhat less than optimal solution.

I have an '11 Clubman S with 16" RFTs which I have despised the entire time. Just today I ordered 17" wheels and non-RFTs. I've had roadside my entire driving life but I can't tell you the last time I called them to change a flat. I think I might've had hair back then

HOWEVER, because ***** happens and I have a Clubman S I've got the included tools and prerequisite space for it, I came on here looking for a good place to buy a spare.

Another alternative is one of these: http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=16

But that means investing in a full sized wheel, tire and the look of having it on the outside of your MINI. Nothing wrong with the look (to me), especially if you have a high probability of getting a flat. A guy I know has one because he goes to construction sites daily. So he can make the change out easily enough. Plus the MINI spare can only go on the rear, so if you get a flat up front you're swapping out two wheels (that's when I'm calling roadside)

Last edited by LostDenverite; 12-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
It never dawned on me that this is a major difference between a Cooper S and a Clubman S (or JCW). The spare tire well is still present in the Clubman S as it has dual exhausts (one on each side) while the Cooper S has the twin exhausts (down the center). The spare is still the donut type which needs to be mounted only on the rear - which is more work with a front flat - but it still a workable option.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Remember....runflats can be ANY TYPE OF TIRE....summer, winter, or all-season, etc.
look up YOU type of tire to find out.....

Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mmmmmmm..... Slime.....

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I would un-mount the Run Flats now since they have low miles and place them in the Market Place for Sale. Priced right, you may get some money back into your pocket.

Someone will take a great deal on a set of Run Flats ! ! !

Once thats done get regular All Season tires on that Mini and the Slime and the Air Compressor into the Boot !

Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKar
I would un-mount the Run Flats now since they have low miles and place them in the Market Place for Sale. Priced right, you may get some money back into your pocket.

Indeed, I managed to make enough selling the last set of runflats to cover 4 real tires and mounting.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKar

Once thats done get regular All Season tires on that Mini and the Slime and the Air Compressor into the Boot !
Inspired idea, Now I just have to craft the perfect add:

For sale, A set of low mileage (< 500miles) All Season Runflat tires that are so F'n annoying I'm selling them off a brand new 2013 MCS to get a set of real tires.

How does that sound?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM
C4RACER
2nd Gear
Inspired idea, Now I just have to craft the perfect add:

For sale, A set of low mileage (< 500miles) All Season Runflat tires that are so F'n annoying I'm selling them off a brand new 2013 MCS to get a set of real tires.

How does that sound?
sounds like you need some marketing help

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM
seamusnh
1st Gear
The Runflats on my 07 MCS absolutely suck out loud. We just bought the car used and I did not realize the S had runflats. My wife drove the car for about a month and I drove it occasionally. With winter setting in, I bought another set of wheels online and got some new Kumho snow tires. Both my wife and I think the car rides better and handles better with snow tires rather than the run flats. SNOW tires? Never experienced that before....

Now to figure out where to put the spare...

In the Spring, I'll probably ditch the run flats and get some nice summer driving tires....

Quick Reply: Wait, what? All Seasons are Runflats?