Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

First impressions...Nitto Neo Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First impressions...Nitto Neo Gen

I just switched out my summer tires, Conti Extreme Contact DW, size 215/40/17 for the same size Nitto Neo Gen's. I thought I would post my initial impression, as it might be helpful to anyone considering these tires. I will run these during the winter months in Chicago. I have only put 100 miles on them, so I'm still breaking them in. The Nitto's have a pretty nice rim protector. They are also a little more square in profile compared with the Conti DW. Nitto states on their website that they are designed for lowered vehicles running negative camber. That certainly applies to my Mini.

It was only around 40 degrees when I left the shop. They feel pretty slippery, more so than the Conti's did. I took it easy for the first 20 or so miles, as I could get the front end to push pretty easy in the turns. It takes a few miles to run off the mold release agent. At about 20-30 miles, they are starting to stick. First thing that really stands out is the steering response. It feels definitely lighter and a little quicker. This surprised me, being an all season I expected it to be less than the Conti's, what a pleasant surprise. The ride quality feels slightly better, but is close to the Conti's. The Neo Gen's are also a little quieter. I'll post back from time to time and give some updates. So far, I'm loving the steering feel they gave the Mini Looking forward to breaking them in.

Last edited by BlueToy; 11-11-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 PM
gds194
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are your rims Hyper-Silver or Black? They are sharp looking in your image!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gds194
Are your rims Hyper-Silver or Black? They are sharp looking in your image!
Thanks, the finish is Matte Grey.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Break them in fully before you get crazy so you don't wreck. But I would like to know what your full impressions are when you have put around a 1k miles or more. Plus I hope you don't plan on using these for winter because I don't think they will work to well.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am on my second set. First set lasted about 25,000 miles or almost 2.5 years. I did get a bubble in the sidewall 2 winters ago so I bought another pair of tires and I have a "spare" in my garage.

The price is right with these as well. First set I paid $90 a piece shipped. That was back in April of 2009. The second set I paid $98.75 a piece shipped. That was last month.

They are good tires and maybe the "rim protector" has kept me from curbing my wheels. My wheels have no nicks, scrapes, rash, nothing.

I like these tires. I would buy a 3rd set and I would definitely recommend them to others.

Last edited by onefish2; 11-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Minian
5th Gear
I've been running Neo Gens for more than 2yrs now, and I like them a lot. I've had stickier rubber, but none that stay quiet. Many tires start out quiet then get noisier as they wear out. I enjoy throwing the tail end out a little in the corners the Neos break loose and grip well according to my driving style.
I don't keep tires longer than a year so I don't know how durable they are.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:50 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Break them in fully before you get crazy so you don't wreck. But I would like to know what your full impressions are when you have put around a 1k miles or more. Plus I hope you don't plan on using these for winter because I don't think they will work to well.
I will run them this winter. Our roads are salted and I deal with mostly wet. My choice was not to go with a dedicated snow tire. On the really bad days I'll drive a 4X4.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:31 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minian
I've been running Neo Gens for more than 2yrs now, and I like them a lot. I've had stickier rubber, but none that stay quiet. Many tires start out quiet then get noisier as they wear out. I enjoy throwing the tail end out a little in the corners the Neos break loose and grip well according to my driving style.
I don't keep tires longer than a year so I don't know how durable they are.
Thanks for adding your comments. I'm liking them a lot, good to hear from someone who has been running them.
Originally Posted by onefish2
I am on my second set. First set lasted about 25,000 miles or almost 2.5 years. I did get a bubble in the sidewall 2 winters ago so I bought another pair of tires and I have a "spare" in my garage.

The price is right with these as well. First set I paid $90 a piece shipped. That was back in April of 2009. The second set I paid $98.75 a piece shipped. That was last month.

They are good tires and maybe the "rim protector" has kept me from curbing my wheels. My wheels have no nicks, scrapes, rash, nothing.

I like these tires. I would buy a 3rd set and I would definitely recommend them to others.
More good news...thanks for adding your experience

Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Short Wait
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have been running these for over two years and 30k plus miles. No uneven tire wear and haven't been rotated. They do get noisy as any tire with wear but completely satisfied so far. Really like the tread design, doesn't pick up rocks like so many other patterns.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
These are not summer tires. They are good in the snow. I drove from NYC to Boston 2 winters ago on them and I had no problem.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Phx JCW
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy

I just switched out my summer tires, Conti Extreme Contact DW, size 215/40/17 for the same size Nitto Neo Gen's. I thought I would post my initial impression, as it might be helpful to anyone considering these tires. I will run these during the winter months in Chicago. I have only put 100 miles on them, so I'm still breaking them in. The Nitto's have a pretty nice rim protector. They are also a little more square in profile compared with the Conti DW. Nitto states on their website that they are designed for lowered vehicles running negative camber. That certainly applies to my Mini.

It was only around 40 degrees when I left the shop. They feel pretty slippery, more so than the Conti's did. I took it easy for the first 20 or so miles, as I could get the front end to push pretty easy in the turns. It takes a few miles to run off the mold release agent. At about 20-30 miles, they are starting to stick. First thing that really stands out is the steering response. It feels definitely lighter and a little quicker. This surprised me, being an all season I expected it to be less than the Conti's, what a pleasant surprise. The ride quality feels slightly better, but is close to the Conti's. The Neo Gen's are also a little quieter. I'll post back from time to time and give some updates. So far, I'm loving the steering feel they gave the Mini Looking forward to breaking them in.
Are you running spacers? It looks like it from the picture.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Short Wait
Have been running these for over two years and 30k plus miles. No uneven tire wear and haven't been rotated. They do get noisy as any tire with wear but completely satisfied so far. Really like the tread design, doesn't pick up rocks like so many other patterns.
Wow, 30k miles...great. Somewhere I read during my research before buying these that rotating them was not a good idea. Anybody know more on that, seems to run counter to what I've always been told about tires.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
These are not summer tires. They are good in the snow. I drove from NYC to Boston 2 winters ago on them and I had no problem.
Yeah, they are Ultra Performance All Season, M+S. They should do fine in light snow, especially on a FWD mini. Thanks Onefish

Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Phx JCW
Are you running spacers? It looks like it from the picture.
Yes, 12mm all around. The Advanti's are ET 40, so that's 28mm ET with a 215/40. At my current ride height, slight rubbing, but they settle themselves in nicely I did do a slight trim to the front arches.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have the tires rotated every 5000 miles. I am sure they would not have lasted as long as they did if they had not been rotated.

I also inflate them to 36psi all around.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I have the tires rotated every 5000 miles. I am sure they would not have lasted as long as they did if they had not been rotated.

I also inflate them to 36psi all around.
I will try them at a few different pressures. I'm running them at 36psi now. Have you experimented with different pressures at all?

Old 11-12-2011, 04:22 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I will try them at a few different pressures. I'm running them at 36psi now. Have you experimented with different pressures at all?
They have been higher like when I get the car back from the dealer or the tire shop. The ride seems good even at 40psi but I always take it back down to 36. Even when the tire pressure is lower it seems OK too.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
They have been higher like when I get the car back from the dealer or the tire shop. The ride seems good even at 40psi but I always take it back down to 36. Even when the tire pressure is lower it seems OK too.
Got it. Have you noticed any difference in steering response at the various psi?
As I said earlier, that really impressed me, how responsive they are for an all season.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Got it. Have you noticed any difference in steering response at the various psi?
No. Not really. But after re-reading my post I am beginning to wonder why I even keep the tires at 36psi

Last edited by onefish2; 11-12-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 PM
torrejuan
1st Gear
No. Not really. But after re-reading my post I am ginning to wonder why I even keep the tires at 36psi
Are you thinking of going to a lower psi?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:14 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by torrejuan
Are you thinking of going to a lower psi?
Just wondering how I came up with 36psi. I don't really see a difference with 40psi or even 32psi.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
SimTechDJ
3rd Gear
I had the Nitto Neo Gen in 205-50-15 on my 95 Honda Civic Hatch(LS engine and GSR trans, mild track prep) and honestly loved this tire.

I feel i can speak with relevance due to similar size and weight vehicles. I will strongly consider this in 16" for my R53 Cooper S!

Notes:
-Took it east for the first 100 miles due to "green tire"
-Quiet and smooth on highway
-Stable up into triple digit speeds
-Amazing grip even in rain
-Predictable break away
-Good pricepoint

Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SimTechDJ
I had the Nitto Neo Gen in 205-50-15 on my 95 Honda Civic Hatch(LS engine and GSR trans, mild track prep) and honestly loved this tire.

I feel i can speak with relevance due to similar size and weight vehicles. I will strongly consider this in 16" for my R53 Cooper S!

Notes:
-Took it east for the first 100 miles due to "green tire"
-Quiet and smooth on highway
-Stable up into triple digit speeds
-Amazing grip even in rain
-Predictable break away
-Good pricepoint
Nice summation Sim...thanks

Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I put another 100 miles on the Nitto Neo's this weekend. They are definitely quiet, and my gas mileage is slightly better by a 1-2 MPG

Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 AM
SimTechDJ
3rd Gear
Anytime! :-)

Quick Reply: First impressions...Nitto Neo Gen