Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

"Illegal" to replace non-run-flats?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 PM
anyksu27
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Illegal" to replace non-run-flats?!

When I bought my (used) 2006 MINI S, it already had regular, non-run-flat tires. Now their treads are getting low and I'd like to replace them with another set of non-run-flat tires. I have gone to 2 separate tire places (Big O & Firestone) in San Francisco, and mechanics at both places have told me that it's "against the law" to replace my tires with anything but run-flat tires. Clearly, non-run-flats work fine, because that's what I've had for over a year now, and I haven't had any problems at all. Also, I've been researching this issue a lot online lately, and nowhere have I read that it's illegal to replace a MINI's run-flats with non-run-flats. On the contrary, I've read about a lot of ppl doing just that, to the point that it seems to be a pretty commonplace modification. So I have 2 questions:

1. Can someone please tell me: is it actually illegal to put non-run-flat tires on a 2006 MINI S (hardtop), or is this just the latest line of tire-dealership b.s.?

2. If it's not illegal, can anyone recommend a place in the Bay Area that will just replace the damn tires with non-run-flats without any hassle? It doesn't have to be San Francisco per se--I'd gladly drive a good distance for a decent set of new tires without all the b.s./aggravation!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:37 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just go to a small independent tire store. Big O and Costco will only put OEM tires on. I'm sure their Attorneys told them to do this to try and avoid lawsuits. I bought my Hancooks at tirerack and my local shop charged me 40.00 bucks to put them on.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If they told you it was illegal do not ever...I mean ever go back there. That is told Bull ****. Go to another shop and get a set of tires you want. As long as the tire is DOT approved and not a slick you can get whatever you want.

The following users liked this post:
Hard_Knuckles (04-11-2019)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 AM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I find that Discount Tire or America's Tire Store ( same place ) gives me the best service and prices; A + +

Lifetime repairs and balancing and they do it with a smile !

And Yes, they put non-runflats on my Mini S ! ! !

Old 08-02-2011, 02:59 AM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m in Florida so I have no firsthand knowledge, but if the media is to be believed: California does have a fair amount of Big Brother laws (a.k.a.: Consumer Protection laws) so maybe there is something preventing non-Run Flats from being installed.
Maybe the folks at Tire Rack could shed some light on this.
If it turns out that it is the law to only replace with Run Flats, maybe a quick vacation to Nevada is in order.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 AM
miniXLR8
3rd Gear
My R53 has neither a spare tire or a place to put one...maybe the run flat "Law" is to avoid their customers being stuck on the road with no spare?

I plan on removing my run flats anyway they cause way to rough of a rie

Old 08-02-2011, 04:36 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
So much for the old addage, "the customers always right."

Then again, there was that gal who received a settlement for burns from having spilled hot chili in her lap while driving her automobile.....

Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 AM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AAONMS
I’m in Florida so I have no firsthand knowledge, but if the media is to be believed: California does have a fair amount of Big Brother laws (a.k.a.: Consumer Protection laws) so maybe there is something preventing non-Run Flats from being installed.
Maybe the folks at Tire Rack could shed some light on this.
If it turns out that it is the law to only replace with Run Flats, maybe a quick vacation to Nevada is in order.
No need for that, I am in Cali and there is tons of places that will do it. Just stay away from the big box places...

Larry

Hard_Knuckles (04-11-2019)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 AM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
I echo MiniKar's response. I've used Discount Tire for years and found them to be very helpful and reasonable. They'll work with Tire Rack as well.

I did a quick search for a statutory requirement for run-flats in CA and found nothing. In this area, Charlotte, NC, Firestone is notorious for fictitious requirements and need for repairs.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Can someone please tell me: is it actually illegal to put non-run-flat tires on a 2006 MINI S (hardtop), or is this just the latest line of tire-dealership b.s.?
Replacing with runflats is not a requirement. As mentioned above liability is the issue that causes many shops to insist on it.

2. If it's not illegal, can anyone recommend a place in the Bay Area that will just replace the damn tires with non-run-flats without any hassle? It doesn't have to be San Francisco per se--I'd gladly drive a good distance for a decent set of new tires without all the b.s./aggravation!
Here are a list of TireRack recommended installers that will install standard or runflat tires.

Alex.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 08-03-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: tag correction
mrwadlo (04-08-2019)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My brother just bought a new Challeger........ No run flats......... No spare........ Comes with an OEM pump and slime gizmo.......

Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Mike and Terry Shaw
Neutral
MiniXLR8, we have a 2005 MCS and went with non-run flat tires after 1 year. Get on eBay and buy a wheel. Use one of the dreaded run flats for your spare. The 205 width will fit in the well behind the back seat. Get a small lug nut wrench and a jack. Our run flats were nail and screw magnets and were always leaking down. I bought El-cheapo Falken tires for $100 each and love them. Much quieter, better cornering,(Mommy loves them) and a much better ride.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
They have it reversed...

You aren't supposed to put run flats on a non run flat car, that is assuming it does not have a TPMS system. That's the connection--they want TPMS on a car with run flats so you get a warning that a tire is really low on air since visually it may not be apparent. Of course, since run flats came out TPMS is getting installed on non run flat vehicles too and is being required by safety rules.

Somehow it sounds like the shops in question have corrupted this into a "rule" that always associates a given type of tire with a given originally equipped vehicle.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I live in the Silicon Valley and there's no law in California (or anywhere else that I know of) that says you can't put conventional tires on a car that originally came with run flats. (I run Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's - great tires!)

One thing I have run up against is some places (like America's Tires) will only put the new tires on the rear if you're just buying two tires. Again, it's lawyers getting involved because in SOME circumstances (like rain and iffy road conditions) you have slightly better control of the car when the deeper tread tires are on the rear. (The thinking is that people have an easier time dealing with front understeer than rear oversteer.) Anyway, I relented as they wouldn't and they put my new tires on the rear. I had to swap them front to back after I got home. (My JCW eats front tires and the rears still had plenty of tread on them.

So, if you're going in for just two new fronts, ask first if they'll install them on the front like you want.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
chilicon
1st Gear
Call Jacques at Bay Bridge Motors in Oakland. He specializes in Minis and has kept my '02 R53 in great shape, including the current Bridgestone Potenza non-runflats.

http://www.baybridgemotors.com/

Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Cavalier Cooper
3rd Gear
Absolute hog wash. "illegal" means they don't want the liability if you decide to be a sue-happy Californian if you get a flat.

I never had an issue replacing RFTs with non RFTs with my car. I typically got a warning, but when I told them I was aware of what I was doing, then swapped the tires.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
I was replacing a tire on another vehicle and went to WallyMart. The first thing the salesperson did was go out and check the tag on the inside of the door. What was supplied as OE was what they were going to sell me.
But it wasn't what I wanted.
So I took the truck home, took off the wheel and rolled it back in the store. Walla!! Got what I wanted. So there....

Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Solution: Just buy new rims and tires from Tire Rack! Install them yourself when they arrive

Old 08-02-2011, 05:58 PM
FranticFreddy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AXO
Solution: Just buy new rims and tires from Tire Rack! Install them yourself when they arrive
The best answer yet!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
PC CooperS
1st Gear
I had a similar experience with Walmart - their internal policies would not let them put non-RF's or a different size than OEM. Went to Sear's, found GY Eagle's at a good price, they had me sign a waiver.... The car rides sooo much better!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
I bought non-runflats at Costco. Costco requires you to show that you have a spare tire. If you don't already have a spare tire, you can purchase one from Detroit Tuned.

http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/?productID=504

Old 08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
LeftyS7
4th Gear
First, It's NOT illegal. Second, the lightest wheels and non-runflats are the best improvement that you can make to your ride quality. Third, get a Honda spare from a junk yard for peanuts (search the threads for info on the appropriate size, years, etc.) Fourth, buy the aftermarket wheel and tire cover from the gal who makes them (if she still does). Again, check the threads. Fifth, on long trips put the covered spare tire behind driver or passenger seat, whichever allows for the tightest fit (so it won't fly about in case of an accident). Or, Sixth, buy pump and sealant kit and store in space on left wall of trunk compartment.

The tire pressure warning light system works just fine with the non-runflats.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Skippman
2nd Gear
TPMS is non dependent on tire. It's simply a small RF transmitter connected to a pressure sensor. It sends the current tire pressure to the on-board computer by transmitting RF to sensors near the wheel hubs. The on-board computer takes that PSI reading and compares it to the threshold set in it's firmware. If it falls below a certain value, or above in some cases, it goes off indicating a fault. According to the manual they can go off by accident during period of "spirited driving". I'm assuming this is an over inflation threshold due to the tire gas heating and expanding under extreme loads but I could be wrong.

There is nothing illegal about using non-Run Flat tires. If they attempted to pass such a law (and California's notorious for that) it would have to require ALL passenger vehicles to use them.

I agree with the other posters here about Discount Tire Direct. I've used them myself for my Jeep. They have excellent pricing, great customer service, and will ship tires mounted and balanced if they're not in your area. They will also install TPMS sensors if your Mini came with them (not sure if all Mini's have that).

One word of caution though. On that "fix a flat" stuff.... I'd avoid it like the plague if you can. It's great if you're somewhere that you can't get a tow/spare but it WILL destroy the tire and possibly damage the rim. Fix-a-Flat is a polymerized glue compound. When you inject it into the tire it coats the inside attempting to plug the hole. The downside is that it's a semi-liquid substance and will make the tire almost if not completely impossible to balance after it cures. It can also stick to the inside of the wheel causing the same issue. Personally, unless it was a dire emergency I would never use it. A $30 tire fix could easily turn into a couple hundred dollar tire/wheel replacement.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Skippman
One word of caution though. On that "fix a flat" stuff.... I'd avoid it like the plague if you can. It's great if you're somewhere that you can't get a tow/spare but it WILL destroy the tire and possibly damage the rim. Fix-a-Flat is a polymerized glue compound. When you inject it into the tire it coats the inside attempting to plug the hole. The downside is that it's a semi-liquid substance and will make the tire almost if not completely impossible to balance after it cures. It can also stick to the inside of the wheel causing the same issue. Personally, unless it was a dire emergency I would never use it. A $30 tire fix could easily turn into a couple hundred dollar tire/wheel replacement.
Are you referring to all tire sealant products?

BMW has an OEM Mobility Kit that provides a compressor and tire sealant (among other things). Continental (the tire company) also produces a similar kit. They contain latex as far as I can find.

What is "polymerized glue compound"? Where are you getting this information?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Skippman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alwzopn
Are you referring to all tire sealant products?

BMW has an OEM Mobility Kit that provides a compressor and tire sealant (among other things). Continental (the tire company) also produces a similar kit. They contain latex as far as I can find.

What is "polymerized glue compound"? Where are you getting this information?

Polymerization is the process of turning a chemical compound into a polymer. Polymers are "rubber like" compounds, which includes the latex you mentioned.
Cite for Latex; Cite for Polymer

A polymerized glue compound is a compound that undergoes a chemical reaction to change from base chemicals into an adhesive (sticky/glue) material composed of polymer chains (rubber, latex, PVC, etc).

I apologize that this got WAY more technical than I had originally intended.

Fix-A-Flat and other canned tired sealant's inject a compound of this type into the tire along with compressed gas. You then drive causing the glue to get pushed to the outside of the tire (the tread) where the escaping gas (air) forces it into the hole. There it seals keeping the tire inflated temporarily. You still need to patch the hole, and not all of the glue can fit in the hole causing it to harden on the inside of the tire irregularly. I'm given to understand the newer versions of these products contain glues that can be dissolved using solvents but having used products like this in the past I'd avoid them if at all possible.

It's very important to note these products cannot repair damage to the side wall or all out cracks and are only intended to repair tread surfaces (nail punctures, etc) as the tire will not throw the glue to the side wall but interior of tread surfaces only (due to centripetal acceleration, commonly known as "centrifugal force"). Cite for sidewall issue, see FAQ question 1

Quick Reply: "Illegal" to replace non-run-flats?!