Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

"Illegal" to replace non-run-flats?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you're saying that you would even avoid using the products that the OEM sells for this exact purpose because you've used a cheap alternative in a can that does a bad job.

Isn't that a little like saying that you won't use the OEM touch-up paint because you've used spray paint before and it ran?

When you used it, how long did you leave it in and what kind of damage did it cause? I was always under the impression that tire sealants were never intended for permanent repair to a tire, just as a temporary limp-home so you can get to somewhere that it can be cleaned out and fixed permanently.

What's in Fix-A-Flat?: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=3

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/88/8841sci2.html
Along with other materials in the mixture, a water-based carrier holds corrosion inhibitors, which prevent rust formation and other damage to the wheel.

Last edited by alwzopn; 08-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UAL_Kingpin
I bought non-runflats at Costco. Costco requires you to show that you have a spare tire. If you don't already have a spare tire, you can purchase one from Detroit Tuned.

http://www.detroittuned.com/shop/?productID=504
I wonder what they do for M car owners that have no spare tire and non run-flats...from the factory.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
skip the chemical crud - which I used once and will never use again - get a small compressor like that which comes with the OEM kit, and buy a DYNAPLUG and carry a pair of pliers (to pull the nail).

If the puncture is small enough to fix with GOOP a FLAT it is small enought to plug with DYNAPLUG. And DYNAPLUG is permanent and does not throw off the balance. I've run tires -run flat and not run flat - thousands of miles with DYNAPLUG repairs with NO problems.

DYNA downsides ... well you do have to be able to find the puncture

A BIG problem can't be plugged by DYNAPLUG - I got a good 1/4 inch hole once. But face it: NOTHING is gonna help here except a runflat tire or a spare .... or a tow aka AAA.

I changed from RF's to regulars on my 02 after the second set of tires, and off my 07 just a few months ago .... tire dealers had NO problem selling me, and mounting, any tire I wanted.

http://www.dynaplug.com/ I don't sell 'em, I just like the product. I have one in the MINI, one in the Mini, and one in the garage.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Skippman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alwzopn
So you're saying that you would even avoid using the products that the OEM sells for this exact purpose because you've used a cheap alternative in a can that does a bad job.

Isn't that a little like saying that you won't use the OEM touch-up paint because you've used spray paint before and it ran?

When you used it, how long did you leave it in and what kind of damage did it cause? I was always under the impression that tire sealants were never intended for permanent repair to a tire, just as a temporary limp-home so you can get to somewhere that it can be cleaned out and fixed permanently.

What's in Fix-A-Flat?: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=3

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/88/8841sci2.html
While I'm always up for being baited into a straw man argument, I simply stated that most everyone I've talked to in SCCA, tire dealers, and the off road community has had the same opinion. I've used Fix-A-Flat once and it destroyed a expensive BFG tire. I've certainly not done an exhaustive test off all products on the market. I'm simply stating my opinion based on historical data presented to me. If I had a flat and no alternative, I would absolutely use a Fix-A-Flat product.

I agree with Capt_BJ that a plug kit and compressor are preferable to any can based solution having used them in extreme conditions (off roaring with low PSI) and holding up.

Last edited by Skippman; 08-04-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I've heard that Fix-A Flat tuns into a hardened mess and Slime washes out with water.

Dave

Old 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I carry a nice pump, Slime, a Dynaplug, a Stop N Go plug gun kit, and conventional sticky worms with the T handled insertion tool. The Slime is a last resort. The Dynaplug only works on small holes, the Stop N Go plugs work on larger holes, and for the really large ones, one or more sticky worms will usually do the trick. Only if none of the plugs work will I try the Slime.

In my humble opinion, one should always have a pump, Slime, and various plugging options. Regardless of whether they're running runflats or not. Or whether they've got a spare or not.

FYI: I had a brand new set of Hankooks put on my Mini last summer and with only about 150 miles on them, I got a nice large puncture in one of my rear tires. Typical stuff. And whatever made the puncture didn't stay around. There was no way a Dynaplug would have worked as the hole was too large. I simply pulled out the Stop N Go kit, plugged it, filled it, and drove back home. It held (with a very minor leak) for a week and a half while my replacement tire came in. (I was driving top down on the freeway when it happened and didn't hear the presure alarm or notice anything was wrong until I made a lane change. The tire was ruined but serviceable for lower speed, around the town driving.)

Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
anyksu27
Neutral
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to respond. I had no luck in San Francisco, but found a place near my job (San Mateo) that works with tirerack.com and is willing to replace my non-run-flats.

The info & opinions about the various flat-fixes was interesting, too. I'd kind of like to mount a spare on the back down the road (if I can find another place to do that sort of thing and it doesn't wind up being too crazy-expensive), but I've got AAA in the meantime. I may also grab a can of fix-a-flat and just cross my fingers that I don't need it between now and then.

Thanks again!

Jennifer

Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
MCClubmanWorks
1st Gear
Costco - Non Run Flats

I bought Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Non Run Flat) from Costco and they swapped out the Run Flats that were in my MINI, I had NO spare tire. No hassles!! I had the work done in Costco, Edison, NJ.

I love Costco!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have to laugh at this whole thread. I bought my MCS from a local (Cali) VW dealer. It had runflats on it when I test drove it, but they wouldn't sell it to me with those tires (not enough tread left I guess), so they took them off and replaced them with non-runflats! I'm happy, but go figure!

Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
BlackdogTurbo
1st Gear
Wow - thanks for the detroittuned website! That's the best price I've seen so far.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Leadfoot
Neutral
Tire Brand/Model recommendations?

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a specific brand of tire for replacing my rock-hard runflats on my '09 S Hardtop? I almost ordered GY Eagle GT's this morning until I started reading reviews and got scared off. I'm looking for an All-Season. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:19 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Why bother with all-seasons? They suck ALL of the time. If you need winter traction, spend the money and get true summer and winter sets. More initial outlay but they'll last longer and FAR better performance.

I'm a HUGE fan of Continental, Dunlop, and Pirelli.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Leadfoot
Can anyone recommend a specific brand of tire for replacing my rock-hard runflats on my '09 S Hardtop? I almost ordered GY Eagle GT's this morning until I started reading reviews and got scared off. I'm looking for an All-Season. Thanks.
I'd mention in 16" the Continental Extreme Contact DWS
In 17" The Bridgestone RE970 AS Pole Position

There are other options, but these are great options.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 10-10-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
If you need winter traction, spend the money and get true summer and winter sets. More initial outlay but they'll last longer and FAR better performance.
I agree, but 2 sets are sometimes not possible for a variety of reasons. I run summers & winters personally.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM
naominpaul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by anyksu27
When I bought my (used) 2006 MINI S, it already had regular, non-run-flat tires. Now their treads are getting low and I'd like to replace them with another set of non-run-flat tires. I have gone to 2 separate tire places (Big O & Firestone) in San Francisco, and mechanics at both places have told me that it's "against the law" to replace my tires with anything but run-flat tires. Clearly, non-run-flats work fine, because that's what I've had for over a year now, and I haven't had any problems at all. Also, I've been researching this issue a lot online lately, and nowhere have I read that it's illegal to replace a MINI's run-flats with non-run-flats. On the contrary, I've read about a lot of ppl doing just that, to the point that it seems to be a pretty commonplace modification. So I have 2 questions:

1. Can someone please tell me: is it actually illegal to put non-run-flat tires on a 2006 MINI S (hardtop), or is this just the latest line of tire-dealership b.s.?

2. If it's not illegal, can anyone recommend a place in the Bay Area that will just replace the damn tires with non-run-flats without any hassle? It doesn't have to be San Francisco per se--I'd gladly drive a good distance for a decent set of new tires without all the b.s./aggravation!
I'm not sure about California law but it is not illegal in Alabama. I have a Justa and just replace run-flats with non run-flats. My 2005 Justa even has a spare tucked just under the rear bumper. IMO runflats are only good if you don't carry a spare. That could be the legal matter that the tire places are referring to.
I'm not positive but is sounds like you are getting upsold.....

Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
I agree, but 2 sets are sometimes not possible for a variety of reasons. I run summers & winters personally.

Out of curiosity, what for instance? Not trying to start an argument, just can't think of anything that woudl keep one from running 2 sets.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quality_sound
Why bother with all-seasons? They suck ALL of the time. If you need winter traction, spend the money and get true summer and winter sets. More initial outlay but they'll last longer and FAR better performance.

I'm a HUGE fan of Continental, Dunlop, and Pirelli.

This doesn't always work or seem feasible for most. Here in South Florida all seasons might not be a bad idea. They can handle the plentiful rain we get as well as work fine when it gets chilly. A few days a year it is in the upper 30s when I drive to work and more than a few days in the 40s. A summer tire is not a wise choice at this point, but no need for real winter tires. Plus the AS tire will get good life out of it.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiosity, what for instance? Not trying to start an argument, just can't think of anything that woudl keep one from running 2 sets.
$$$

Old 10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
This doesn't always work or seem feasible for most. Here in South Florida all seasons might not be a bad idea. They can handle the plentiful rain we get as well as work fine when it gets chilly. A few days a year it is in the upper 30s when I drive to work and more than a few days in the 40s. A summer tire is not a wise choice at this point, but no need for real winter tires. Plus the AS tire will get good life out of it.
If you only have a few days in the upper 30s and 40s then you absolutely can run summers year round as long as you are careful until the tires heat up. Sounds like the same climate as in Sacramento. Agree about AS's probably being ok for most people though.

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
$$$
This was addressed already. I acknowledged the initial cost as a detriment.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Leadfoot
Neutral
Tire recommendations

This thing you're not thinking of is money.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Leadfoot
Neutral
I think I'll have to stick with one set now. I live in upstate NY, so I try to drive my truck on snow days, but you know how accurate the weather man is. I need a tire with some traction, just in case the weather forecast is wrong. I saw Alex's recommendation on the Continental's, and I've also seen some good reviews on Hankook's. (spelling?)

Thanks for all the advise everyone.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Joseph Hansen
Neutral
Originally Posted by cop1406
No need for that, I am in Cali and there is tons of places that will do it. Just stay away from the big box places...

Larry
Y ignore ... the big places should know best as far as laws go I'm fighting this now I want my cars tires replaced not because they are bad but they are not run flares so if I get a flat I have no spare or even a tool to get off so I'd rather go with a run flat