Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do I need to reset TPM after tire rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 AM
silvia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to reset TPM after tire rotation?

I finally had my tires rotated at 10, 000 miles. Right Front tire to right rear and left front tire to left rear

Also I had "low tire" indication due to low air. I had 30lbs of air in each tire.

After rotations and air in tired, I don't see the "low tire" indicator anymore.

Do I need to reset the TPM or not? Also, if so, how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 AM
colejd
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes. For all Minis with the TPMS sensors in the wheels after a rotation the system losses track of where each sensor is because they have moved. It is simple to do and takes a minute or two after reset to take effect (i.e., no more warning light)

Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also, if U live in a cold climate over-inflate yr. tires about 5-6 lbs to compensate for the TPMS sounding false alarms on cold mornings, if you go with 30 in each they will drop low enough to set off the dinging.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your owners manual will tell you how to reset the TPM, very simple. If you can't find it, let me know, good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
silvia
2nd Gear
Watched Youtube to find out how to set TPM.

thanks all

Old 10-31-2010, 03:30 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
I actually sort of disagree with sequence. Tire pressure should be adjusted seasonally but set to the correct pressure settings each season. If they are set correctly in the cold weather they should be OK for the cold season. Come warm weather they must be adjusted again (let air out) or they will have too much for summer. "sequence" is correct that you need to add more air in cold weather but you should still set it to the correct pressure for and not more than recommended at that time.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Spridget
4th Gear
The rule of thumb for cold weather tire pressures is that you'll lose 1psi per 10 degree drop in temperature. So yes, setting your tires to 30psi (which is below specs already) is asking for the TPMS light when things get colder.

Cheers,

Spridget

Old 10-31-2010, 05:32 PM
ranelson7
Neutral
Try Nitrofil.com nitrogen in the tires and not worry about pressure changes with temperature changes. I have had it in my tires for two years now and am really pleased.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 AM
cjny
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ranelson7
Try Nitrofil.com nitrogen in the tires and not worry about pressure changes with temperature changes. I have had it in my tires for two years now and am really pleased.
Ordinary air is almost 80% nitrogen, although that doesn't really matter here. What does matter is that all gases change pressure with changes in temperature at the same rate, at least if my high school physics teacher was correct .

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Nitrogin

Use the Nitrogen and you won't have your low pressure lights coming on when the temp goes down at night. Living in Daytona Beach the Tenp can drop from 80/85 to 35/40 overnight and back up to 80+. When it is that cold the low warning light will come on if you just have air in the tires. Put the Nitrogen in and you will never see that light all winter.

The point is: Air is free - Nitrogen is not. I don't care if air is 80% nitrogen because it is the 20% oxygen that causes the problem. Get the 20% oxygen out and problem solved.

As everybody knows: When they take stuff out they charge more, Like diet food when they remove the calories they charge you more.

If you are the type of person that can ignore the light just use air. The light will go out as the temp goes up. If not get the Nitrogen weather it is worth the $$$ or not.

Most places when you pay for the initial fill with the nitrogen you can go back and get top-off fills of the nitrogen for no charge for the life of the tires.

*****************************************Oh! Yea! set the monitor after rotating the tires.******************************************** *****

Last edited by ronnie948; 11-01-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
The gas nitrogen expands just like oxygen. It's not the gases expanding with the temperature, it's the water that's in the tires mixed with the air that makes them change pressure. The nitrogen is pure, no water. Like the old Olympia Beer ads: It's the water!
(BTW I use nitrogen, and my pressure stays the same all the time. I asked them to put it in for free when I got new tires and they did).

Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
The end result is all that counts.

Whatever it is, The fact is==== If you use Nitrogen in your tires the low pressure light will not come on at all unless the temp goes from 80/85 down to way below zero. I'm not even sure if the light would come on then. I wish my Michelin Tire store had nitrogen. I have to go to the Chevy dealer to get it.

The Chevy dealer got it when they had so many complaints about the pressure monitors on the Corvettes years ago. It stopped a lot of confusion because they started putting it in Corvette Tires before thay sold the car. No more complaints about the sensors when the Temp. dropped.

The Chevy dearer has a machine that purges all four tires at the same time. Then it fills them up. The tires still have 1 or 2 % of oxygen by volume but still 98/99 % is pure nitrogen. If you had wheels with two valve stems they can purge 100% and give you pure 100% nitrogen.

For street driving the nitragen works very well. I used it in my Corvette and now I use it in my Mini JCW.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will look into nitro...thxs for rotation tip

Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
N2 in tires... what a scam...

PV=nRT.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:03 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Actually, if all the tires had the same pressure before rotation, it's not a tire
pressure issue tripping the light. If the fronts and rears have a different amount
of tread remaining, then the computer will see a change in rotation speeds when you
rotate the tires and that can trip the light. Just need to reset it after rotating.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Thank You Richardsperry- Really "THANK YOU"

I'm always happy to hear the opinion of someone that apparently never ever used something giving their opinion.

Thank you again!!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
tjsauthoff
Neutral
Tripped over $750 to save $50

So...I didn't want to spend the $80 - $100 most places were going to charge to put my snowtires on my 2009 Mini Cooper S. I found a local joint that would do it for $10/tire...kinda shady, but I was all about the savings...no receipt, nothin'.

They jacked up ALL 4 sensors in the process of getting old tires off and/or snow tires on...and the computer read, "inactive" regardless of how many attempts I took on the reset process.

Dealer says it's non warranty since they are damaged and parts and labor for replacement will run about $750. Dealer said they have no way of turning off the idiot light that won't turn off because the sensors are not working right. So I have to deal with glowing yellow light until I am willing to drop the $.

I'M WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS OF ANY AFTER MARKET METHODS FOR TURNING OFF THIS WARNING LIGHT, SO I CAN JUST CHECK IT MANUALLY LIKE I WOULD ANY OTHER CAR.

OR...ALTERNATIVELY....ANYONE KNOW OF ANY MORE AFFORDABLE OPTIONS TO REPLACE THE MONITORS (I KNOW I KNOW...I GOT BIT IN THE BUTT TRYING TO SAVE MONEY THE FIRST TIME, I PROLLY SHOULD NOT TRY TO DO IT AGAIN, BUT STILL....)

ANYONE?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM
pheatton
5th Gear
I would say go back to where you had this work done and make them pay for it. If they refuse then take them to court over it.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM
CalsonicSE
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by colejd
Yes. For all Minis with the TPMS sensors in the wheels after a rotation the system losses track of where each sensor is because they have moved. It is simple to do and takes a minute or two after reset to take effect (i.e., no more warning light)
I recently rotated my tires on my R57, did not reset the TPMS sensors, and never got the warning light. Also, my other car which also has TPMS sensors in each wheel never required the sensors to be reset after a tire rotation.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silvia
Watched Youtube to find out how to set TPM.

thanks all

Guess no one reads their manual........ MINI recommends against tire rotations - and the manual shows how to reset the TPMS very easily........

Must be a you-tube generation thing.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
Guess no one reads their manual........ MINI recommends against tire rotations
Which is totally bizarre I think. Oil change intervals are open to great debate...but...almost any tire store/manufacturer, etc. will tell you tires last longer if rotated regularly. I try to do mine front to rear every 5K miles or so.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:58 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Which is totally bizarre I think. Oil change intervals are open to great debate...but...almost any tire store/manufacturer, etc. will tell you tires last longer if rotated regularly. I try to do mine front to rear every 5K miles or so.

It all has to do with wear patterns. I prefer to replace all 4 tires when the fronts are shot.

I also subscribe to the school of replacing tires below 6/32" tread depth for snow use, and below 4/32" for wet use to avoid hydroplaning. Even though legal is 2/32".

Good explanation here on tread depth.

Neat little tread depth gages.

And OCIs need not be debated - there is science out there supporting longer intervals. I did get an oil analysis done on my diesel truck at 10,000 miles and 8 months OCI on the oil to help convince myself.

I expect to do 6 month OCIs on the MINI, as it sees lots of short grocery getter trips. 1st change was 5,000 miles at 5 months. If it ever did get run out to 10,000 miles I may get the oil analyzed. Now 20,000 OCIs as recommended by MINI - I agree that is just whack. Love to see that oil analysis!

Last edited by MCS Fever; 01-11-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM
SeanBlader
2nd Gear
Rotated my tires at like 5100 miles no TPMS reset, light never came on. I should probably check the pressure on my way home getting gas tonight, it's been a while.

And sure your oil can handle the extended drain intervals exceeding 3000, 5000, or even 7500 miles, but have you seen how small the mini's filter is?

Here was my 1k oil change:

I was a little surprised to find that enormous shaving in there, which made me glad I did it. I'll do another at 7500 before I go in for my 15k, although I think my annual visit might be pretty close to 7500 miles.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
silkcut
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjsauthoff
Dealer says it's non warranty since they are damaged and parts and labor for replacement will run about $750. Dealer said they have no way of turning off the idiot light that won't turn off because the sensors are not working right. So I have to deal with glowing yellow light until I am willing to drop the $.

OR...ALTERNATIVELY....ANYONE KNOW OF ANY MORE AFFORDABLE OPTIONS TO REPLACE THE MONITORS (I KNOW I KNOW...I GOT BIT IN THE BUTT TRYING TO SAVE MONEY THE FIRST TIME, I PROLLY SHOULD NOT TRY TO DO IT AGAIN, BUT STILL....)

ANYONE?
Uhmmm,,,,,, If you just whacked the TPMS sensors, and nothing else, then something is a little wrong with this quote of $750.00. Unless an OEM Mini rim can only accept an OEM Mini TPMS Sensor. The frequency changed in the 2009 model year, but still.....
Find a reputable tire dealer, use Tire Racks dealer locator, that can deal with TPMS sensors and Run Flats if you still have them on, and have them install 4 new compitable after market TPMS sensors and remount your tires. It's still going to cost you $$$ though.

Here is one link for aftermarket TPMS Sensors that may be compatible, about 1/2 the price of OEM's. The tire center, maybe even Tire Rack, may have a more affordable option.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...nitor_set.html

As a comparison;
For just about $1K. I had a set of winter wheels and tires tires, complete with sensors, sent to me from ALex at Tire Rack. Installed them and reset the system.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Had good luck with Discount Tire - They actually rebuild your sensors everytime.

Quick Reply: Do I need to reset TPM after tire rotation?