Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Boy, it did not take long for my RF's to find a screw!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 01:59 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...sure enough it is to close to the edge to repair.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:54 PM
qaz5eng
1st Gear
I feel for ya man, you should have seen the eye bolt that was sticking out of my tire at ~100 miles on the clock. The guys at local tire shop made some calls and got the tire replaced at no cost. Maybe your shop can do the same or at least pro rate the cost of a new tire.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 PM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
>>I feel for ya man, you should have seen the eye bolt that was sticking out of my tire at ~100 miles on the clock. The guys at local tire shop made some calls and got the tire replaced at no cost. Maybe your shop can do the same or at least pro rate the cost of a new tire.
That would be awesome!! How did you do it?
But, I have 1200 miles not 100

Old 10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Mcooper
2nd Gear
I know how ya feel!
I couldn't remember getting a flat or slow leak in the past Ten Years!
I get a Mini with Run Flats, and I get two!!!! 45 days apart from each other!
you woun't believe what did in my tire the last time,
A Huge Thorn, you know the big kind that you see on rose bushes.
The tire guy was laughing about it!
and I had to hear it from the people at work,
" A flat?, i thought they were run flats?"

Have a good one,
Glenn

Old 10-06-2003, 12:51 AM
qaz5eng
1st Gear
>>>>I feel for ya man, you should have seen the eye bolt that was sticking out of my tire at ~100 miles on the clock. The guys at the local tire shop made some calls and got the tire replaced at no cost. Maybe your shop can do the same or at least pro rate the cost of a new tire.
>>That would be awesome!! How did you do it?
>>But, I have 1200 miles not 100

Lucky I guess.
I first asked what my options were and of course the guy said new tire =$200. I then asked if they could do anything else to help me out. The tire guy was kind enough to call his people(district manager?) and the tire maker to see what could be done. They had to special order the tire from Dunlop(Goodyear is the parent company?) so I would guess the "warranty" favor came from the tire maker. If your tire shop can't do anything try contacting the tire company direct, if you talk to the right rep. they can at least give you a coupon/discount on a new tire.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 10-06-2003, 03:00 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Take it or reject it, but my advice is to take the tire to an old-school service station and ask them to repair it. I had a screw in my runflat...and it was actually a bit closer to the edge than what you're showing. My tire was repaired with a plug and has held air flawlessly for about 14,000 miles. At this point, my tire is going to be replaced due to tread wear well before the patch fails.

There have been other threads about fixing runflats. It CAN be done despite some dealers and tire speciality shops reluctance to do so. And given that these tires are so friggin' expensive, isn't it worth the $5 - $25 bucks to try vs. just shelling out for a new one automatically? If it doesn't work, sobeit, but at least you tried.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can understand plug and patch when applicable, this is TOO CLOSE to the sidewall, a patch would not stick on the curve of the innerliner, and there is not enough steel to hold a plug. In this case, be safe, replace!

Alex

Old 10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>...sure enough it is to close to the edge to repair

Whaaat? Clearly if you can get the tire replaced for free that's the best way to go, but I have repaired tires that were damaged even closer to the sidewall than that. I would have plugged it myself and certainly on a run flat where you have even less to worry about if the plug doesn't hold which I have no doubt it would. Patch no, plug yes. Firestone tire buster.... got me thru college anyway.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Bella
Neutral
with 18,000 miles on my Dunlop 9000 RF's I too picked up a screw, but mine was dead center in the tread. After having 3 people tell me the run flats could not be repaired (including the Mini dealer !) I found a Goodyear dealer with the right equipment AND a certified repair guy who said "no problem" $49.95 later I'm up and running again....this happened today by the way.

Just curious how often evreybody rotates their RF's??

all the best

Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I just picked up a screw in my RF this weekend. I took the wheel/tire over to my local Goodyear shop to see if they could plug it. My screw was much closer to the sidewall than the one in your photo.

I was immediately told that they could not plug anything that close to the sidewall BUT they also told me that since the tire had less than 12,000 mi. on it, it is under warranty (either from Goodyear or MINI, I'm not sure which). Anyway, long story short I'm getting a brand new tire for about $25. They prorate the price of the new tire based on how many miles the old one had on it. Since I've only driven about 1327 miles, the tire will cost $25. I am soooo happy. I'll be picking it up today after work.

Once in a while, you get lucky!

Old 10-07-2003, 10:04 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>Just curious how often evreybody rotates their RF's??
>>
>>all the best

3-4 k is ideal

Alex

Old 10-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
>>>>...sure enough it is to close to the edge to repair
>>I would have plugged it myself and certainly on a run flat where you have even >>less to worry about if the plug doesn't hold which I have no doubt it would. Patch >>no, plug yes. Firestone tire buster.... got me thru college anyway.

This is WAY too close to the curve between the sidewall and tread a patch would fall off. There is not enough steel in this region to hold a plug! DO NOT REPAIR THIS TIRE. Your saftey means more to me than that! I am not opposed to repair when the puncture is appropiate.

Alex

Old 10-07-2003, 10:23 AM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
>>>>>>...sure enough it is to close to the edge to repair
>>>>I would have plugged it myself and certainly on a run flat where you have even >>less to worry about if the plug doesn't hold which I have no doubt it would. Patch >>no, plug yes. Firestone tire buster.... got me thru college anyway.