Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Newb wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newb wheel questions

I was putting this off but my dealer said my runflats were wearing thin so it's time to buy new wheels and non-RF tires. I know very little about wheels...

I have an 06 MCS that's been lowered an inch (H-Sports). Like the 17" look.

I've narrowed down my search to white Rota Subzeros if I can find any in stock.

Questions:

1) They come in 17x7.5. Is that the same as the stock S-lites or are they 17x7? Does it matter?

2) I'd like to keep the same tire diameter (speedo/odometer accuracy)...can I buy the same 205/45R17 size tires or is there a better tire for this wheel?

3) 45mm offset right?

4) Please explain hub diameter and hub rings...sounds like I might need some but not sure what they are or how they work...what size is the MINI?

That's probably it for now...

Thanks for helping

Old 04-04-2008, 03:22 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sin MINI
I was putting this off but my dealer said my runflats were wearing thin so it's time to buy new wheels and non-RF tires. I know very little about wheels...

I have an 06 MCS that's been lowered an inch (H-Sports). Like the 17" look.

I've narrowed down my search to white Rota Subzeros if I can find any in stock.

Questions:

1) They come in 17x7.5. Is that the same as the stock S-lites or are they 17x7? Does it matter?

2) I'd like to keep the same tire diameter (speedo/odometer accuracy)...can I buy the same 205/45R17 size tires or is there a better tire for this wheel?

3) 45mm offset right?

4) Please explain hub diameter and hub rings...sounds like I might need some but not sure what they are or how they work...what size is the MINI?

That's probably it for now...

Thanks for helping
You need to check the diameter of your wheel bolts- check if they are older style 12mm or newer 14mm. Some aftermarket wheels will fit only the 12mm bolts, this can limit your options. If you have 12mm bolts then you are fine but if they are 14mm then check with your vendor to see if they will fit the wheels.

1. Stock MINI wheels are 17x7" 4x100 bolt pattern +48mm offset and 56.1mm hubbore. 17x7.5" Rota Subzero with +45mm offset will work.

2. If you want speedo accuracy then use the stock sized tire which is fine for the 17x7.5" rim. 205/45-17 will fit and work for you.

3. You don't really have a choice for the Subzero in 17x7.5". +45mm will be fine for you.

4. MINI hub bore is 56.1mm and stock rims require no centering ring but when you get aftermarket wheels they are often made with a larger hub bore opening to fit many cars. Commonly Rota Subzeros in 17x7.5 will come with various hub bores from 63.35, 67.1, or 73mm. If you have a choice the 73mm is fine and you will need a centering ring to fit for each wheel. Usually the vendor will supply the correct rings in plastic or you can purchase them at 1010tires.com in metal or plastic for about $27-36 a set of four.

I did a quick search for white subzeros in 17" and did not find a source in stock. see-
http://www.jaydm.com/subzero.htm
http://18racing.com/wheel_subzero.html

Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Thanks for the complete and fast response! You're right, they don't appear to be in stock anywhere, and Rota doesn't even show them on their website anymore (no longer made?)

I found some used 17x7.5 4x100 (bore unknown) white Subzeros on Craigslist right here in my own town...will check them out tonight. Hopefully he still has them...will any of their bore sizes work? Can I get centering rings for any size?

Lastly, my car is a late model 06...shouldn't it have the 14mm bolts?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:49 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just so you know, i believe rota stopped production of the subzero... it hasn't been on the website for awhile

good luck tracking a set down... there should be some stock left somewhere

Old 04-04-2008, 10:09 AM
minihune
Thanks for the complete and fast response! You're right, they don't appear to be in stock anywhere, and Rota doesn't even show them on their website anymore (no longer made?)

I found some used 17x7.5 4x100 (bore unknown) white Subzeros on Craigslist right here in my own town...will check them out tonight. Hopefully he still has them...will any of their bore sizes work? Can I get centering rings for any size?

Lastly, my car is a late model 06...shouldn't it have the 14mm bolts?
Check out the Subzeros in your area. Ask if the seller has hub rings. Look for dents and cracks. Ask if it has been tracked which gives the most wear on the wheels due to heat. Ask about any damage from curbs or road debris.

The three hub bores I gave you are the most common. You can measure the openings with a caliper to double check.

For Hub rings see
http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp
For wheel with opening of:
63.35 mm use ring with outer diam 63.3 mm and inner diam 56.15 mm
67.1 mm use ring with outer diam 67 mm and inner diam 56.15 mm
73 mm use ring with outer diam 73? mm and inner diam 56.15 mm

If you don't know the size to order then when ordering-
(from 1010tire.com)
1] If you don't know the hubring's outer diameter (O.D.), or the hubring's inner diameter (I.D.), or both, leave the hassle to us. Add the first or second hubring from the hubrings list below into your cart and place the order. During the checkout process, you will be given the opportunity to add notes to our team. Please specify the following information: year, make, and model (and sub-model, if applicable) of your car and the O.D. size of the hubrings (if you know it). If you don't know the O.D. size or not sure that the size is correct, please make a note of the make, model and size of wheels to be installed. We will do our best to provide you with correct size of hubrings. Please note, however, that in the event we are unable to find proper size of the hubrings, we reserve the right to cancel the order.

If your MCS was built after July 2006 then the bolts are 14mm diameter.
If you have the subzeros in front of you then remove one of your wheel bolts and place the bolt into the subzero bolt hole and see if the bolt will fit, if it does then you are fine.

Wheel offset you can confirm by looking at the inside of the wheel spokes or hub. There will be a stamped number or letters like "et 45" or "off 45".

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Wow...good info. Thanks!

PS: Love your interior! Is it real wood or a wood-like substance?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I'm bummed ...the wheels were not in as good condition as advertised. One was brand new, a second was dirty but appeared cleanable, and a third had minor curb rash (couple inches in two separate places around the wheel bead) that I could probably have lived with. However, the fourth had rash around half the wheel bead and a 4 inch section near the bead where the paint was peeling.

Question, can that fourth wheel be repaired cost effectively? How does one repair road rash? As for the peeling paint, should I repaint or have it powder coated? Can I powder coat a Subzero (I suspect it is a cast wheel).

This is stressing me out, I really want those wheel but only if they can be repaired fairly cheaply. I need to decide before he sells them. Any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2008, 04:00 PM
minihune
Wow...good info. Thanks!

PS: Love your interior! Is it real wood or a wood-like substance?
My dash is airbrushed wood finish.

You can still shop around or buy them cheap and send to a company that will do white powdercoating to match all four. They can do some clean up of curb rash and match the color.

Did you confirm the bolts from your MINI will fit the rim holes?

Old 04-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Actually, I was so disappointed in their condition I forgot to check

Worse case I can always have them drilled out or buy a lug conversion kit

Old 04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
minihune
Actually, I was so disappointed in their condition I forgot to check

Worse case I can always have them drilled out or buy a lug conversion kit
You can check this vendor-
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/r...0-p-12766.html

Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Seeing their prices...wow...almost convinced to go back to the used ones and have the two bad ones repaired.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wish i can say i sell you my set... they are great wheels arent they?

if you dont mind getting them from canada, here's one from toronto area: but gunmetal
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/94...ished-lip.html

Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
I decided to go with these...$250 for 1 new, one dirty, 1 slightly rashed and one badly rashed. Figure $150 or so to repair and PC the two rashed ones and I have four quality wheels for $400.