Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Question for PSS9 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:23 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for PSS9 Owners

For all of you with PSS9's, I'm wondering if you can help me with my question. I currently have M7 springs with stock dampers, and the time is quickly approaching where I will need to address the dampers, as I can tell they are just about shot. I'm wondering if making a move to the PSS9's would allow me to retain or perhaps even improve the ride quality of my car, while still retaining the current drop (or maybe even go slightly lower ). I don't track or autocross, but I do occasionally drive several hundred miles, and improving the damping is getting to be a priority.

What should be a reasonable expectation on my part if I switch to PSS9's? Can I have my cake and eat it too? There's some decent deals out there compared to list ($1800ish range), so I decided to get serious about this idea. I can probably offset a little of the cost with the sale of the M7 springs. By the way, if anyone can help me with a great deal on the PSS9's, please pm with the details. Thanks!

P.S. Whose end links do you recommend? Anything else I should add such as a rear sway bar?

Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have PSS9's, 25.5mm rear sway, 27 front sway, rear control arms, front camber plates, and M7 USS. I also had just springs before my PSS9's, I had H&R. Personnally I think the ride is much better, you still feel the bumps but you only feel it once, none of the stock shocks bouncing even after the bump is long gone. As for adjustments I usually keep mine fairly stiff the roads were I live are pretty good, but when I know that I am going somewhere bad or going on a long, softening the shocks is not hard and does the job. Out of all of the parts on my suspension the PSS9's made the biggest difference.

I am also looking for endlinks so I dont have any advice in that department.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
insight

I have only driven my car with stock struts/springs vs PSS9's. I cannot speak to the M7 spring ride quality. That being said, I love the PSS9's. I have the Webb Camber plates as well and those probably add a bit of harshness to ride quality. I have mine set on 9 (softest) all the way around and am very pleased with the everyday driveability. Some have said that 9's all the way around is too bouncy. I haven't been to the track yet, but on local twistys with them set on the softest setting I am very pleased with how they hug the road.
I have Alta end links, rear control arms, and a stiffer rear sway bar. I am happy with my entire setup for the street and haven't had the opportunity to mess with the settings for the track. Bilstiens are definitely a quality product. There are plenty of other less expensive solutions out there to coilovers that alot of people are very satisfied with as well.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Pss9

I have those on over 2 years and loved it since day 1 top notch built and adjustablity from comfort to agressive. Have not had any issue at all comparing to some of Alta product which breaks after 2 weeks.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quite honestly....I LOVE the PSS9's but I would still go with KW's. They ride about the same and right now, the KW's are cheaper. Especially, if you get the V1's. You don't need anything else if you don't do track sessions or such. Ride height will be naturally lower. You have to find someone with both setups local to you and try them out. I have ALTA endlinks but I'm not endorsing them at this time.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:57 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UK, if I bought a new set of KW's, would you trade me your PSS9's? <j/k> Thanks again for trying to hook me up on the PSS9 deal.

Thanks everyone thus far for your feedback. Please give me more thoughts, folks! Anyone know of a sweetheart deal?

Old 12-22-2006, 08:04 AM
roddw
2nd Gear
PSS9's

Not a hijack attempt here, but are end links necessary for an 06?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by UKSUV
Quite honestly....I LOVE the PSS9's but I would still go with KW's. They ride about the same and right now, the KW's are cheaper. Especially, if you get the V1's. You don't need anything else if you don't do track sessions or such. Ride height will be naturally lower. You have to find someone with both setups local to you and try them out. I have ALTA endlinks but I'm not endorsing them at this time.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:25 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by roddw

Thanks!
I wouldn't say they are necessary since they are not noted as a requirement on the installation of the coilovers but I would.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:27 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
UK, if I bought a new set of KW's, would you trade me your PSS9's? <j/k> Thanks again for trying to hook me up on the PSS9 deal.

Thanks everyone thus far for your feedback. Please give me more thoughts, folks! Anyone know of a sweetheart deal?
No problem! Anytime I can help. Since you aren't a track junky and need all the adjustments....the KW's would be your best bet. Stay away from Spax and all that other junk.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:34 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by roddw

Thanks!
Adding aftermarket adjustable endinks has nothing to do with model year.

Endlinks that are adjustable attach to the ends of front and rear swaybars. You can remove preload or adjust endlinks as desired to help with corner balancing. You disconnect your front and rear swaybars while adjusting ride height using the adjustable coilovers. Later after you are corner balanced you then reconnect the endlinks to the height that allows for no preloading.

If you do only street driving you do not benefit from corner balancing enough to make this worth the expense. If you don't need to corner balance then you don't need adjustable endlinks and the stock endlinks will work OK.

If you drive alot on the track or even do regular autocross and have coilovers then adding adjustable endlinks and doing corner balancing is an important step.

Stock endlinks are fine for street driving and most owners will be just fine using then for occasional track, autocross or driving school events.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 PM
roddw
2nd Gear
end links

Great response--thanks very much!

Rodd