Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Which Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:39 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Coilovers?

Well I've done a bunch of searches and read through a lot of the posts in regards to lowered MINI's and the long Bilstein post as well. Still wondering what people are currently running. I was gonna go for the Bilstein's but the price on these has gone up significantly in the past month. Suggested retail is now $2800!!! Doesn't mean thats what you are gonna pay, but it is $500 more than old suggested retail.

Who's runing H&R? Teins? KW? Ledas? Do you like them?

For a guy who auto-Xs and tracks his MINI maybe 4-5/year is adjustable dampening worth it? I want the height adjustment ability more than anything else, so please no "You just need springs" comments. Keep it on topic, and let me know what you have and what you like and don't like about your setup. My sig details the rest of my setup that I wil be running with them.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2006, 07:44 AM
ChocolateAZ
3rd Gear
Well I love my Megan's. I just got them and got them on. Three way adjustable, for ride height, spring loading, and damping. Not sure about using them for auto-x, but just judging from the improvement in baisc handling, I think they would be great.

Just my opinion!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:14 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd try the Pilo's first if i was going for coilovers.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PSS9s are a great choice.
Get them from Turner http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=GM5-A068-H1

Old 03-05-2006, 10:04 AM
saifa
4th Gear
I've got the KW Variant 2 system. I think they're great. The PSS9's are obviously a step up buit are pricey. Pick a budget then pick your coilovers. Thats the way you should go with any part you need. Megans are cheap and are both height and dampening adjustable. Personally I'd stay away from those until someone has clocked a few more miles on their set but if they work out they could prove to be a good buy. You can also consider Tein's but they ride a little harsh in some people opinion.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:25 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Didn't they used to be like $1500-$1600. What the hell happened?

Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
The Megans are a no brainer considering the features, quality and price; built in camber plates and monoballs, ride height, preload, and 32 level damper adjustability. The early reports (including mine) are very favorable. Twice as much $ for PS9, and you have to add camber plates to that? Can't see it.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:08 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Didn't they used to be like $1500-$1600. What the hell happened?
According to those in the know it is simple supply and demand. Lots more people ordering 'em and so Bilstein is looking to make a quick buck. Not the most moral business stance, but what can you do?

Old 03-05-2006, 01:10 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DK23
The Megans are a no brainer considering the features, quality and price; built in camber plates and monoballs, ride height, preload, and 32 level damper adjustability. The early reports (including mine) are very favorable. Twice as much $ for PS9, and you have to add camber plates to that? Can't see it.
Yeah, I have considered the Megans but the newness is a bit concerning. Also I already have a full set of RDR camber plates that are only 2 months old. I really don't want to give them up as I love how they work.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:11 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by saifa
I've got the KW Variant 2 system...
You can also consider Tein's but they ride a little harsh in some people opinion.
Did you consider the V1's? From what I understand they are the same mono-shock but without dampening adjustment.

I have heard the same about the Tiens. Anyone who is using them want to comment? Is the spring rate real 500lbs/inch??? That's crazy stiff.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Anyone on H&R's want to chime in???

Old 03-05-2006, 01:19 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jfunkmd
According to those in the know it is simple supply and demand. Lots more people ordering 'em and so Bilstein is looking to make a quick buck. Not the most moral business stance, but what can you do?
Wow, I hope they drop the price to $1000 when the demand drops. It'd be interesting to see aftermarket items sell like commodities.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:01 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
I don't think they will be selling too many at that price. Even with a good discount they are gonna be $2k. Custom valved Leda's through WMS are less than that, and they are custom built for the MINI!

Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Wow, I hope they drop the price to $1000 when the demand drops. It'd be interesting to see aftermarket items sell like commodities.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:16 PM
saifa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DK23
Personally I disagree witht his statement. Problems due to lack of testing left a few people up the creek I'd wait to see what else goes wrong before purchasing a set. The first few people who bought including you were "guinea pigs" quite obviously considering a few of the issues that arised were never noticed before you guys bought (don't ask me how).

Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
saifa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jfunkmd
Did you consider the V1's? From what I understand they are the same mono-shock but without dampening adjustment.

I have heard the same about the Tiens. Anyone who is using them want to comment? Is the spring rate real 500lbs/inch??? That's crazy stiff.
I was actually gonna go with 1's but i got my 2's for only $1100US with my discount. Your right as far as dampening being the only difference from what I understand. I opted for the Teins but stayed away because I don't want to go that stiff especially with 215/35/18 rubber i'm running.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:01 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Can I ask where you got such a great price on the V2s???

I was actually gonna go with 1's but i got my 2's for only $1100US with my discount. Your right as far as dampening being the only difference from what I understand. I opted for the Teins but stayed away because I don't want to go that stiff especially with 215/35/18 rubber i'm running.

Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
coilover

jfunkmd
PSS9 is a quality coilover and I have it on about 1 yr now, highly recommended. I can find out a price for you if you're interested.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:11 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
jfunkmd
PSS9 is a quality coilover and I have it on about 1 yr now, highly recommended. I can find out a price for you if you're interested.
Agreed
Not sure why the Bilstiens are being compared to the others here in price. They are a superior unit to the Megan's IMHO. If you them in hand you would know just from looking at them.
Someone here suggested Ledas. That's a great system, but you must be prepared for annual rebuilds, especially if most of your driving is on the street.

Next step up from the Pss9s might be the Moton Club Sports at around $3000.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:20 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I really like my PSS9s and consider them one of my best purchases..... there is someone selling a used set for 1100 with only 500 mi ck it out.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
is anyone using Tein's?

I'm looking to add coils to my 05 MCS Cabriolet
I've read it's a waste of $$$ on a convertible.

can someone please clarify this?

thanks,
Charles

Old 03-06-2006, 04:40 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Please don't hijack this thread with responses to this post. Feel free to respond if it is about MCSC owners experiences with coilovers, not "are coilovers a waste of money on MCSC".

Thanks for all the great responses so far.

SpiderX, do you have a link to the used ones??

Originally Posted by Mastersonics
is anyone using Tein's?

I'm looking to add coils to my 05 MCS Cabriolet
I've read it's a waste of $$$ on a convertible.

can someone please clarify this?

thanks,
Charles

Old 03-06-2006, 05:09 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
Personally I disagree witht his statement. Problems due to lack of testing left a few people up the creek I'd wait to see what else goes wrong before purchasing a set. The first few people who bought including you were "guinea pigs" quite obviously considering a few of the issues that arised were never noticed before you guys bought (don't ask me how).
The problem that arose was related to the installation in a MINI, not the quality of the unit itself. Megan has addressed that problem, and we already have the additional part to fit in the car, correcting the problem.

The build quality of the Megans is excellent, and certainly meets or exceeds that of the Bilstein. Yes, I have compared them both. These are really nice units that perform very well on the track, with a wide range of adjustment to allow for a good ride on the street. If that weren't already a good buy at $1k, the included built in camber plates, IMO, make it a superior buy.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:08 AM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have to chime in here......

You can pick up a set of PSS9s from Helix for $1560 like I did I just checked and they are still on sale on Helix site

The ride is like having my own magic carpet!

You get what you pay for! I had bilsteins on my Corvette and loved the ride and quality.

Bilstein IS a race proven product period. How many Race cars around the world are running Megans?

I talked with Onasled before I spent any $$ on coilovers and got some of the best advice ever from him so I value his opinion.

When a products quality is higher you should expect that you are going to pay more.

I didn't have to drill into or cut my body structure in order to reach my adjustment rear ****, I can adjust all from outside the car without jacking it up. It helps to have giant 5 star wheel pattern...

Now you will have to excuse me as I slip into my flame suit ........

Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 AM
ChocolateAZ
3rd Gear
K9, what is it that you like about the Bilsteins? Is ti handling, comfort of ride, what?

I bought the Megans and am very, very happy with them, however I will qualify that by saying I have neer seen the bilsteins or ridden in a MINI with Bilsteins installed. I have also seen the KW V2s and was very impressed with the quality of the construction there. I would love to see a display of all of these differetn units side by side, and be able to drive or ride in cars with the different units installed.

Joel, I am down in Sierra Vista if you want to check out the Megans let me know!

Old 03-06-2006, 08:19 AM
DK23
3rd Gear
Now you will have to excuse me as I slip into my flame suit ........

[/quote]

No flame suit needed. I know that Bilsteins are good units, I have never disputed that. I am only offering positive support for a product that offers quite a lot of features and quality, as well as track performance, for a very reasonable cost. The Megans perform better than people are giving them credit for. I pulled off my Konis and HR (both pretty reputable products) for the Megans, and I can say the Megans are WAY better both on the street and track, with the same alignment settings.

Of course there are better systems out there than either the Megan or the Bilstein. Picking suspension or any other mod will always be a matter of deciding what your needs are, and what you are willing to pay.

Quick Reply: Suspension Which Coilovers?