Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension "clunk" when turning slowly

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:24 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"clunk" when turning slowly

I recently had front-end rattling over bumps. I had the strut bolt tightened on the left which fixed the problem. Since then I've had an alignment to non-race spec and have gotten a : "clunk,clunk,clunk" as i turn the wheel past 90 degrees at slow speeds. I believe it's worst when turning left. I'm desperately hoping it's not the steering column because I'm afraid the dealer will void my warranty due to suspension mods.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gene

Old 04-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I have the same issue - clunk at approximately ninety degrees in either direction that feels like bad ball joints. The dealer tells me it is normal. It seems to get a little better when the car warms up.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:19 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, a click, click, click might be CV joints, but I'm lost otherwise.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Veni_Vidi_Vici
I recently had front-end rattling over bumps. I had the strut bolt tightened on the left which fixed the problem. Since then I've had an alignment to non-race spec and have gotten a : "clunk,clunk,clunk" as i turn the wheel past 90 degrees at slow speeds. I believe it's worst when turning left. I'm desperately hoping it's not the steering column because I'm afraid the dealer will void my warranty due to suspension mods.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gene
Can you hear the clunk when the window is rolled up and can you feel it in the steering wheel? It could be a cv joint as someone wrote but for us it was the steering column. The first time it went in for repairs they replaced the rack and pinion but that wasn't it. Second time, the column was replaced.

Edit: I can't remember if it was 90 degrees or not but the car didn't have to be moving to feel it..just turn the wheel Plus, it was more on left turns then right turns.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
The dealer tells me it is normal.
I think your dealer needs to get off the rock.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Interesting. Mine only happens when rolling slowly, say less than 5 mph. It doesn't happen at a stop. I'll probably have it checked out at Eurostyles East when I get my GIAC or at the dealer

Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM
mycpr_s
2nd Gear
i have the same problem while making left turns, went to the dealership they said i voided my warranty by lowering the car, don't know how much to fix it though

Old 04-18-2005, 08:56 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mycpr_s
i have the same problem while making left turns, went to the dealership they said i voided my warranty by lowering the car, don't know how much to fix it though
Scary...makes me think twice about adding springs/struts.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
All,

Hope that your front end noises are not symptoms of something serious.

Was looking at Gene's list of mods and noted the camber plates. Am running about -2.3 degrees of camber in the front with camber plates and H&R sport springs. Have definite "clunks" at S-L-O-W speeds while turning, worse when headed down hill. Have attributed these sounds to the springs contacting the body. Have attempted to locate the points of contact with little success. Don't think that anything else is wrong with my front end. Could this be the source of your noises?

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 04-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mycpr_s

You should go back and talk to them...they are pulling your leg or something...there is no way your steering was affected by your springs.

My dealer TRIED doing the same thing to me, but i explained to them that i knew the steering column had nothing to do with the springs and they agreed to work on the steering. They can only void the warranty on your springs and shocks for a spring upgrade...not things like steering

Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Haywood1020
1st Gear
I recently (4/11) had my first service done.

To my suprise, the dealer said that my steering rack had to be replaced!

Perhaps yours is suffing the same fate.....

Mine is a 7/04 build 2005 MCS.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Petrich
All,

Hope that your front end noises are not symptoms of something serious.

Was looking at Gene's list of mods and noted the camber plates. Am running about -2.3 degrees of camber in the front with camber plates and H&R sport springs. Have definite "clunks" at S-L-O-W speeds while turning, worse when headed down hill. Have attributed these sounds to the springs contacting the body. Have attempted to locate the points of contact with little success. Don't think that anything else is wrong with my front end. Could this be the source of your noises?

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle
John,

Interestingly, the clunk didn't start for me untill after I returned the alignment to more of a stock setting after last year's racing season. I have an appointment on Saturday to get some goodies installed at Eurostyles East. Their mechanic, Hoagie, is going to take a look. I'll let you all know what he finds.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:37 AM
E1Designs
2nd Gear
I also have this issue. An 05 here picked up in December. Mine is most noticeable when turning left, fairly consistent. Sometimes happens when turning right. The kicker, NO mods of any kind on the car, bone stock. It happens at a variety of speeds also. Obviously not notably at slower speeds as that is when I am making a 90 degree left hand turn.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Kyle
3rd Gear
Wow, I'm suprised this many people are having this problem. I've got it as well, and I've got a host of modifications on the suspension. The dealer is refusing to look at it due to the fact that I've got a bowed shock tower which they claim is causing the problem. After I fix that up I hope they don't start giving me the run around about my suspension modifications as well.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:54 PM
pinz1974
1st Gear
Front End Clunk

I had a similar clunking at slow speed when turning the wheel to the left. The dealer replaced the steering column.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Hoagie at Eurostyles East believes the problem is coming from the bearing in the camber plates. I'm taking my car back on Tuesday so that they can replace them. Hopefully H-sport will be stand-up guys and help me out with the parts. The plates probably have 5k miles on them and 60 autocross runs.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
discodan
5th Gear
Westchester MINI just had my car for a week to replace the steering rack!

Old 04-25-2005, 08:30 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
I had the exact same symptoms, including the fact that left turns were worse than rights. Also, it was slow turns, especially before the car really warmed up.

We thought it had to do with the RDR camber plates, and indeed we did find a nut going loose.

But the problem turned out to be that the Alta springs weren't seating properly at the top of the strut. Some twisting them and fiddling with them drastically reduced the noise.

Unfortunately, now it's back again 4 months later...

Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
I had the exact same symptoms, including the fact that left turns were worse than rights. Also, it was slow turns, especially before the car really warmed up.

We thought it had to do with the RDR camber plates, and indeed we did find a nut going loose.

But the problem turned out to be that the Alta springs weren't seating properly at the top of the strut. Some twisting them and fiddling with them drastically reduced the noise.

Unfortunately, now it's back again 4 months later...
Jim, I think I have the same issue, but with factory springs. I took a quick look last night and it looks like the springs are not seated right. I am going to pull that strut and check it out in the next few days. I hope it's not the RDR plate bearing.

-
Pete

Old 04-26-2005, 05:50 AM
hornguys
5th Gear
Pete,

Apart from the noise, is there any other downside? Premature wear. etc...

Old 04-26-2005, 08:30 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hornguys
Pete,

Apart from the noise, is there any other downside? Premature wear. etc...
Jim,

I doubt it but I won't be sure until I pull the strut back out. As I said, I
just took a quick look last night to see where the noise might be
coming from. I did not remove the wheel; I just tried to isolate it while
Jennifer worked the steering wheel. The lower spring isolator looked out
of whack. I am not sure how it might have gotten that way. I don't think
I will be able to look at it further until Sunday. I'll let you know what I
find.

-
Pete

Old 04-26-2005, 08:40 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
02's Had issues with defective steering racks, Do some research on the steering rack issue

Old 04-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
The problem turns out to be the bearing casettes in the H-Sport camber plates. According to the fine folks at Eurostyles the bearings were rusted badly enough to look like "they've been underwater for a year". Since the cassetes aren't covered by the Hotchkis warranty Eurostyles is pulling apart one of the H-Sport plates they have in stock so that they can repair mine.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:35 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
My problem turns out to be different. Apparently due to the shape of the stock springs and the use of RDR camber plates to dial in about -2 degrees negative camber, the spring has rubbed a channel in a stiffening groove in the shock tower. When the wheels are turned to full-lock left, a coil of the left spring is going in and out of this groove, making the clunking noise.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about it. My guess is less camber or different springs. I don't think there are any other choices.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:49 AM
discodan
5th Gear
turns out when i picked my car up on Tuesday, the service rep told me it "only" turned out to be loose control arm bolts on the driver AND passenger sides. they had my car for a week and told me the whole steering rack had to be replaced but only had to tighten bolts!!!! what really got me mad though was that the last time those bolts were touched was a couple months back when Westchester MINI had to replace an "abnormally worn" control arm bushing to correct an alignment problem i had. mind you i have NO sort of suspension mods yet and i just hit 30K miles. it is a little scary knowing that Westchester MINI especially being a factory owned and run shop, made that kind of a mistake and essentially put me in that kind of danger.

Quick Reply: Suspension "clunk" when turning slowly