Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension HELP - added sway bar now it's unstable at speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:28 AM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - added sway bar now it's unstable at speed

Hey to all,
I just added an RDR sway bar and Alta adjustable end links and now my MCS is scary at speed.

I've got the sway bar set up on the center hole end links are set at factory length. Sudenly when going over 90mph the rear end seems to want to be extremly light an kick out on me.

I'd realy like help, the MINI just doesn't handle better with these suspension upgrades. Even a "little" scary when the rear kicked out on me, wasn't used to that feeling.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:33 AM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
Did the rear end "kick out" negotiating a turn at 90? Or were you going straight ahead?

Originally Posted by BaldBikerGuy
Hey to all,
I just added an RDR sway bar and Alta adjustable end links and now my MCS is scary at speed.

I've got the sway bar set up on the center hole end links are set at factory length. Sudenly when going over 90mph the rear end seems to want to be extremly light an kick out on me.

I'd realy like help, the MINI just doesn't handle better with these suspension upgrades. Even a "little" scary when the rear kicked out on me, wasn't used to that feeling.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:39 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
might want to make sure your rear subframe is torqued properly and that the swaybar mounts themselves are snug. And check the wheels, too, while you're there.

Marty

Old 02-28-2005, 11:48 AM
red rage
4th Gear
"Sudenly when going over 90mph the rear end seems to want to be extremly light an kick out on me. "

Try slowing down a bit

Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
Yeah, recheck all your bolts, something is very wrong.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:22 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
The curve was a sweeping left hand turn, next thing I know the rear started to kick out, I brought it back but it just shocked me

***slow down, that's not an option***

Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
If the rear is too loose you're not going fast enough.

I don't assume that something is automatically wrong. A big rear swaybar is SUPPOSED to make the car loose. The definition of "loose" varies largely between drivers though. Loose by itself is too vague to analyze without also talking about tires, track condition, speed, the turn, and steering and throttle inputs.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:09 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The curve was a sweeping left hand turn, next thing I know the rear started to kick out, I brought it back but it just shocked me

***slow down, that's not an option***
So you weren't letting off the gas causing trailing throttle over steer?
I have a RDR bar on a stock supension, last track day it was set in middle hole. I was able to controll drifts around sweepers at 80 with slight right foot and steering input after getting used to the car at speed. Yes the rear was stepping out but in wasn't violently breaking away. Maybe you had just reached your limit of traction for that curve and the attitude of the car at that moment.
What did you do to bring it back?

Old 02-28-2005, 01:31 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
So is it fine when you're driving straight? The swaybar is supposed to increase oversteer in turns...

Old 02-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Try putting the bar in the back (soft) hole until you're more used to the difference in chassis balance. The other guys are right - the rear swaybar is supposed to make the car more balanced via reducing rear traction. You can also shorten the adjustable links a bit to make the bar stiffness more linear (assuming you have lowering springs)

HTH,
Ryan

Old 02-28-2005, 06:41 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
Thanks to all..

I'll try the softer setting and shorten the adjustable links. I guess I just wasn't expecting the "tail happy" attitude of the car on that curve.

As far as bringing it back, more gas and a little wheel...she straightened right out. Tires are new Falkens about 200mi on them, not nice enough to put the 18"s on her yet, don't want salt on my wheels

A few hot laps at Mid-Ohio this summer and I'll get used to it..

Old 03-01-2005, 08:18 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come to Mid-Ohio April 1-3, there'll be at least a couple of us there! You can do all three days, two days or one day. https://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_e.../?event_id=203

Haven't yet done the sway bar. Soon. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 AM
orthomini
3rd Gear
rear

im not the driving guru but if,as one is turning and lets off the gas the rear predictably loosens with a stiffer bar. just keep on the gas.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:28 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the ticket, hot laps at Mid-Ohio !

I'll try the softer setting and shorten the adjustable links. You want to set the links up so that when the car is parked on a level surface the sway bar is parallel with the level surface. Also watch that you don't preload the bar by having one link shorter than the other. I guess I just wasn't expecting the "tail happy" attitude of the car on that curve. Nope that's what you want on a tight autoX course.

As far as bringing it back, more gas and a little wheel...she straightened right out. Tires are new Falkens about 200mi on them, not nice enough to put the 18"s on her yet, don't want salt on my wheels

A few hot laps at Mid-Ohio this summer and I'll get used to it..[/QUOTE]

Old 03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't write the size of the bar or other mods??? You can tighten up the rear by adding a little more toe-in and negative camber. A given bar with a given set of springs and dampers will provide a given amount of rotation. The above suggestion helps if the next softest settings with regarding to spring/damper/sway bar become too soft. Conversely, if the set-up causes a little too much understeer, you can stand the rear tires up a bit more - less negative camber and redcue the amoutn of toe-in.

But remember, these settings have a relationship to damping rates; heavier spring/damper rates allow you to adjust in less aggressive camber and toe settings.

The size of the sway bar is also relative to spring and damping rates.

And finally, as a general rule, cars should posses slow speed oversteer and highspeed understeer. The actual degree of either is determined by the driving venue, and most importantly, the driver.

Your description of looose at 90mph on a straight highway does not sound good at all, by the way. Your car should build your confidence as speed increases and 90mph is not fast for this car in a straight line.