Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Sway bar links??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 AM
ClubmanS10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar links??

I've just ordered my self some coilovers for the clubman. I know they recommend upgrading sway bar links to go with the coilovers. Ang suggestions as to what length is recommended for adjustable links. I'm looking at some godspeed adjustable links but I cant figure out length needed in order to work well with my coilovers.

thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions or thoughts!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:50 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I have Megans, and reused the stock links that were already on the car.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:01 AM
ClubmanS10
Neutral
Really njaremka? (Sorry still new to the site an trying to figure this all put as I go)

so then if I dont plan to track my mini other regular street driving. My stock links should be fine? Sorry clearly I was under the assumption that i needed to upgrade them no matter what! But if that's the case you just saved tons of headaches an stress lol.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:13 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
I'll replace mine when/if they fail. OEM links are made to move through the full range of suspension movement, as long as the mount on the strut is in the same location. You will have issues if the strut mount is relocated lower than stock.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
ClubmanS10
Neutral
I believe they are located in the same location as the OEM struts. I'll definitely get it installed with new OEM links and post the outcome. thanks again for your time bud!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:49 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
What coilovers are you going with? I think the brands that have a relocated mount also come with modified links.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I want to sell you parts but honestly most people just use the stock end links and they are reliable even if lowered.

But you can make it more effective with shorter ones. We sell many different brands but use ours as they have sealed ball sockets so they will not be noisy or fail. Also they are not very fat so they won't hit the trailing arms.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ad...-endlinks.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-23-2018, 05:19 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Also thinking that what Way sells are made so that they do not hit other parts of the suspension like some of the other aftermarkets do.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
When I installed NM springs I continued to use the stock front links. Worked fine.
When I installed the BC Racing coil overs they had shorter shock bodies and came with shorter fixed links.
My new RMW coil overs that just arrived came with new adjustable links.
For the price, I would go with aftermarket units with improved ball joints/bushings. Same reason I used NM end links when installing the new RSB. They were simply a superior part compared to the OEM links.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:46 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
I want to sell you parts but honestly most people just use the stock end links and they are reliable even if lowered.

But you can make it more effective with shorter ones. We sell many different brands but use ours as they have sealed ball sockets so they will not be noisy or fail. Also they are not very fat so they won't hit the trailing arms.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-ad...-endlinks.html
Yup when I installed my Ohlins I just used the stock links for a few years. Finally upgraded to Way's links, even shortened them a bit to account for the drop I have. They are a high quality product.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are there any issues with binding? I did front links on my Miata with a large 1.25" sway bar to avoid it angling upwards creating unnecessary pressure.

The Hotchkiss sway bar on rear of Mini is 1" thick and it's lowered 1" on swift spec R springs. Unlike the Miata it's not very difficult to force the stock end links in.

I do autocross and track it regularly so if there is a definite benefit to adjustable endlinks like on Miata it's worth the $60-$70.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:40 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
I don't have any issues with anything in the suspension binding. One of my motivations for the adjustable links was to make room for my brake duct project, didn't work but that's another thread. If you can find a set of adjustable swaybar endlinks for $60-$70, tell us where!

The hardcore autocross and track guys will adjust out any swaybar pre-load with the adjustable endlinks, I assume you know about that already. So far that is a step that I haven't made.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-godspeed...tr-140-10_08~/

The price just increased by $6. But still reasonable. Per the chat rep they will fit rear.

Pre-load would be the biggest benefit like you said. I'm just lazy and am curious to know how much of a difference it may make. For the Miata it's noticeable.

Also I'm actually looking into brake ducting since I have a 7.5 Hour Sebring open track day coming up. I have your thread up

Old 08-30-2018, 05:56 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
My BC coils came with front ones. Used the stock rear ones until they started clunking. Went with MMS (same company who made my lower control arms) and they are extremely high quality.