Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension H&R Coilovers baby

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H&R Coilovers baby

When I started hearing clunks from the rear of my 2011 MCS, I ordered sway bar bushings right away thinking that it would a simple fix. But when I put it up on jacks, this is what i found:

I know right!?

I took the coilovers out and this how it looks like:

I don't know what happened, but the strut stem just sheared clean off, like someone took a hacksaw to it. I drove the car in this condition for a whole week.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Wow!

Curious to know what your plans are, and how this turns out...

How low was the car? We’re you running without bump stops?

Old 08-04-2017, 06:53 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Call them. They might want them back to inspect the why and how. Seems pretty like a decent warranty issue.

Explain it all as best you can and it doesn't hurt to express you are on a few enthusiast forums such as this one. They don't want their stuff getting 'bad press'

Old 08-04-2017, 11:23 AM
MNMLST
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njaremka
Wow!

Curious to know what your plans are, and how this turns out...

How low was the car? We’re you running without bump stops?
1.75" front 1.5" rear, which are the lowest this set will go. Bump stops were installed.

Originally Posted by iwashmycar
Call them. They might want them back to inspect the why and how. Seems pretty like a decent warranty issue.

Explain it all as best you can and it doesn't hurt to express you are on a few enthusiast forums such as this one. They don't want their stuff getting 'bad press'
I didn't feel like doing that because there's always chance that they'll just blame the amateur installer, namely me and I can't really wait around just to hear something that. My MCS is my daily workhorse too.

I'm on Sports now and they ride much better.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:08 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I highly doubt they'd do absolutely nothing. Even if you're on new suspension I think they'd do something in good faith.

I was actually considering changing my Koni Yellows and Swift Spec R for the H&R track coilovers. But their spring rates are backwards of what I want.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by MNMLST
1.75" front 1.5" rear, which are the lowest this set will go. Bump stops were installed.

I didn't feel like doing that because there's always chance that they'll just blame the amateur installer, namely me and I can't really wait around just to hear something that. My MCS is my daily workhorse too.

I'm on Sports now and they ride much better.

They should know as good as anyone that a LOT of US are better and more caring installers than most shop monkeys torqueing everything down with 300ftlbs and such. I would still call them and not mention already buying new.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:46 PM
CougarsRFun
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is the factory bumpstop? Was it installed?

Its hard to tell from these pictures, but if the bumpstop was not on the piston rod then the shocks got over compressed and this is the result.

Nvm saw above....