Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Lowering springs/bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Lowering springs/bump stops

Well, the 1.4 inch H&R springs are too low. So, going with Megan Racing 1/2" lower front and 3/4" lower rear springs. Should I use all 4 stock bumpstops on the stock struts with these springs? Should I cut them any? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
I went with Swift Spec-R springs 1.1" front / 1.0" rear. Cut the first lobe off the bump stops off and it's been great.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
You can cut the stock bump stops or we offer shorter ones
https://www.waymotorworks.com/bump-stops.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-08-2017, 04:26 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
When I put my rear springs on, I only had about 1/4" of clearance before hitting the bump stops. The ride was very bouncy, as you would expect. I trimmed the bumps to give about 3/4" of travel and the ride is remarkably better.

I'm not lowered, but have an oddball setup on the rear to get a different rear spring rate (275 lb).

I would start with removing one lobe, and see how much travel you have at ride height. I've used the WMW shorter bumps in the past.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-12-2017, 11:13 PM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Megan Racing springs installed today. I found that my MOOG front upper strut mounts were loose as hell at only 5k or so of usage. Grrrrr....had to re-install, as nothing else was available locally. Anyway, I like to looks of the car now. I re-used the WMW bumstops again, as they looked OK. Here is the issue....he feels "looser" on turn-ins at speed, and I can blame that partially on the new tires also installed. So, the question is this.....should I have gone with the stock bumpstops, maybe trimmed them some, so that I still had the "support" of those bumpstops? I know I have new tires, so waiting for those to break in. How much suspension effect do the bumpstops have? Is it just the new tires making him feel so squirrely?

Old 08-13-2017, 06:01 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm of the opinion that you don't want to ride on the bumpstops.

What tires did you switch from, I'm assuming that you are on the Hankook V2's? If you went from runflats to standard tires, that could be much of the loss in turn in. The super stiff sidewalls of a runflat have fantastic transient response, because they don't flex much. They also ride rough, because they don't flex much.

Did you check the alignment after install? The toe changes with ride height.

I tore up a mount because my strut loosened up. I like the Ireland Engineering fixed mounts. They are a factory mount on a 1/4" steel plate that offsets the mounts toward the center of the car for more negative camber. I got to -1.4 degrees without slotting the holes (I was hoping for more).

Put some miles on it and see how it behaves. If the spring rates have changed a bunch (especially the ratio of front to rear stiffness), the car could feel different to you. If the megans are significantly softer than the H&R's in the rear, then you may want to stiffen the RSB. Its a quick change to try...

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 AM
renchjeep
6th Gear
Non run-flat Hankooks taken off, done after a bit more than 10k miles. Crappy roads where I live, and a heavy right foot, LOL. I installed Ohtsu FP7000's, supposedly made by Falken? Also non run-flats. The alignment was done right after the springs and tires, all within factory specs, mostly dead-on, in fact. I am already on the middle setting on my ALTA 19 RSB. I will give it some break-in time, especially for the tires. Thanks, Mike.

Motor On.
Chris