Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Koni FSD / Bilstein B4: best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:09 AM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni FSD / Bilstein B4: best bang for the buck?

I've searched, but haven't really found a definitive answer.

I'm not interested in lowering the car as it's low enough for me as a daily driver. I'm also fine with a stiff ride.

Am I correct that the main advantage of the FSDs is the improved ride quality?

The Bilstein B4 Touring are supposedly about 10% stiffer than new OEM. Any idea how much stiffer the FSD are?

I found A set of 4 Bilsteins for $245 shipped vs $599 +$25 shipping for the FSDs.

I'm just not sure the price difference is worth it for my application since I can get a 19mm or 22mm rear sway bar for the difference.

Last edited by Photodesign; 11-13-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:40 PM
BruceJ
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Think you answered your own question. Otherwise, I have B4's, they are fine, and I noticed a difference but the OEMs likely had 118k miles on them, and while not leaking, were easily compressed by hand.
Everyone who has put FSD's on thinks the are the greatest, but is that the money talking? No one wants to look like a dummy. I know several folks running E9x 3 series BMWs that love them.
Shocks/struts are subtle in that you will quickly get lose the feeling of what the ride was prior to the new shocks, and only notice a problem once it becomes pretty pronounced with age.

I think you and I did about the same thing in that we bought high mileage, older mini's, cause they look and drive cool and got a good price. Keeping in mind that a set of FSD's is likely not to last any longer than the B4's (70-80k miles) and this car is always likely to have somewhat of a stiff ride, that did it for me.

Good luck
Bruce

The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (04-16-2021)
Old 11-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Most of the comments I saw about the FSDs were related to ride comfort, which to me seems like someone bought the wrong car if that is a priority.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:22 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Koni, Bilstein

Between the brands and pricing, I always liked the Bilstein products (which are usually more expensive on other makes). Bilstein street products have the general perception of being more 'street friendly'. KONIs have the 'image' of racing shocks. KW is popular in Europe. H&R is a common aftermarket supplier of performance suspension products for many brands.

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Results/shocks/Parts

I hope this helps.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:35 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
I haven't had the bilstein b4's but I have had the OEM suspension, and I've had H&R lowering springs with Bilstein sport shocks (I think b8's) and I currently have the FSD's. I love the FSD's because they're the best of both worlds. I loved having my mini lowered, and honestly, the ride didn't bother me, but it bothered some people that rode with me. The FSD's are super smooth, and faster than the OEM shocks when I get out to autocross.

If ride is secondary, and you're looking to save money, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the bilsteins, and adding a bigger sway bar in the rear is a great upgrade. If you have the money, and want a great ride and great handling, go with FSD's, but if ride comfort isn't a priority and money's tight, then go with the bilsteins. If you want to keep the stock height and get amazing handling, I think you can find Koni yellows (sport) that work with the stock springs.

changing the springs is a great time to change the rear sway too, I'd also look at your front strut mounts and probably replace those too while you have it all apart.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Money is always tight. I can understand going 10K into debt to get this car running great because race car. But I also use it to drive to and from work every day about 50 miles. I don't track or auto cross, but I'm an agreesive driver. This mini makes my mundane commute a pleasure, and I want to do whatever I can within reason from making it feel like an F56, because that was a huge dissointment. Whatever it takes to keep this 12-year-old car on the road is fine with me because the newer models have no heart.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
We've sold and installed both the Bilstein and FSDs. Between the two I always recommend the Koni FSDs. I've had two customers that bought the Bilsteins and actually complained they were too hard and changed them over to the Koni's and they were then happy. So if that means anything that is why I would I would go the FSDs, and cause everyone always likes them.

But either way I'd still add an Hsport Comp rear bar as it will dramatically improve the handling more than any other suspension mod.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...-sway-bar.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 11-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Photodesign
2nd Gear
Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Last edited by Photodesign; 11-14-2016 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Photodesign
I've searched, but haven't really found a definitive answer.

I'm not interested in lowering the car as it's low enough for me as a daily driver. I'm also fine with a stiff ride.

Am I correct that the main advantage of the FSDs is the improved ride quality?

The Bilstein B4 Touring are supposedly about 10% stiffer than new OEM. Any idea how much stiffer the FSD are?

I found A set of 4 Bilsteins for $245 shipped vs $599 +$25 shipping for the FSDs.

I'm just not sure the price difference is worth it for my application since I can get a 19mm or 22mm rear sway bar for the difference.
Happy I found this thread. I'm installing Bilstein's now and with the extra cash I'm getting a rear sway bar. Cheers and motor on!

Old 04-16-2021, 05:21 PM
John Jankura
Neutral
Originally Posted by Bernard Barbour
Happy I found this thread. I'm installing Bilstein's now and with the extra cash I'm getting a rear sway bar. Cheers and motor on!
If you still see this after a few years how did you feel with your bilstein choice? Let me know if you see this. Thanks

Old 04-17-2021, 02:37 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm not the thread starter, but if you're interested in another data point, I just had my front shocks replaced with the Bilstein B6s in my R61 (Paceman), and they improved the ride quality noticeably. My R61 has 65k miles on her, and I wasn't having any handling problems at all. I just figured that after that amount of mileage, they had lost some of their absorbing ability. Rear shocks are going on next week, but the difference there will probably be more subtle. From what I've seen, there is quite a difference between the B4s and the B6s. Way from Way Motorworks doesn't like the fit on the 4s, and I'm not sure you'll feel a significant difference with them. You will for sure with the 6s. What rear sway bar are you installing?