Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Linear Lowering Springs Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM
polibureau
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linear Lowering Springs Suggestion

Hey NAMfam!

My new-to-me '11 R56 JCW came with the $500 Factory Sports Suspension Option, which I am finding VERY hard after a week of driving. On smooth asphalt its a dream, but on anything else it turns my spine into cream of wheat. .. which I could live with - but my wife can not :(

I also get a little bit of wheel hop when accelerating hard in first, which is triggering the DTC - and stopping all my fun.

I also plan on upgrading the sway arms and adding an x-brace, so total funds are gonna be tight, and I've been eyeing the WMW Suspension Package (TSW springs, H-Sport Sway Arm and H-Sport Rear links) plus the TSW brace.

Is this a decent option to going full coilover? Alternatively, are there any other spring options out there that improve ride quality, provide a small drop AND maintain or improve performance over stock?

I don't want a huge drop - 1" at the most, and have seen some good options including even the JCW Factory Springs.

On the flip side, I might be able to stretch to for one of the entry level coilover setups like the Megan or mayyyybe the KW v1. I'm just not sure if these are worth spending the money on, or maybe buying the springs now and saving up for one of the more expensive options later.

I've search the forums and read an encyclopaedia's worth of info and haven't really seen much on people commenting on the stock sport systems with new springs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Old 10-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Almost all entry level coilovers will lower the car 1.2" or more depending on the car. That amount also goes for most springs unfortunately. That said, look at Swift springs, as they are linear and only drop the car about 0.75 inches front and back. Several MINI owners have run them, and they are well known and liked across many platforms.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It sounds like you are interested in two competing desires. You want to drop the car, but the factory sport spring setup is too stiff. Lowering springs are generally stiffer than stock springs (if they aren't, you will have problems with your shocks because of the changed travel range). The simplest and most cost effective solution to lower your car is a good quality set of lowering springs.

One other consideration is that sometimes worn out shocks can make the car's ride seem very stiff (it's actually bouncing excessively).

Old 10-29-2015, 06:48 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
could be the shocks, could be that you're riding on the bumpstops as well.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 AM
polibureau
Neutral
Thanks for the responses!

The car has only 38k miles of summer driving, and I've checked the suspension and everything is good - in fact it still looks like new.

Sounds like I'll need to do shocks and springs if I want to improve the ride and maintain handling.

I've heard FSDs are good in this regard, but that they also do not accept lowering springs.

Is there a suggested Shock/Spring combo that is known to work well?

As far as coilovers go, how do the lower priced offerings from the likes of Megan compare to something like the KW v1? The latter is definitely at the top of my price range!

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
I don't think coilovers are the solution for you. they are almost all guaranteed to ride stiffer, and a competent spring/strut combo will outperform a super cheap coilover set. Coilovers are really more for adjustments. I'd go FSDs and jcw springs. I'm on bilsteins and jcw springs, very happy

Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 AM
polibureau
Neutral
Originally Posted by kyoo
I don't think coilovers are the solution for you. they are almost all guaranteed to ride stiffer, and a competent spring/strut combo will outperform a super cheap coilover set. Coilovers are really more for adjustments. I'd go FSDs and jcw springs. I'm on bilsteins and jcw springs, very happy
Kyoo, thanks for the advice! I've read the FSDs aren't to be used with lowering springs, but the JCW springs do have a small drop - is this going to be an issue?

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:43 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by polibureau
Kyoo, thanks for the advice! I've read the FSDs aren't to be used with lowering springs, but the JCW springs do have a small drop - is this going to be an issue?

Thanks!
don't think so. one guy here is running full on aftermarket springs and has been doing fine on the FSDs I believe. FSDs not recommending aftermarket springs tells me the shock doesn't have that much travel, though it should have enough and be protected by bumpstops - so it is a little odd to me why they recommend not running lowering springs - probably a guard against people going too crazy with it. 0.5" is nothing.

Again though, I'm really more of a Bilstein guy - I think their quality overall is higher, and I think the Bilstein HDs are a good option for something well valved but a little firmer.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:30 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
With any suspension upgrades you do, the ride will become a bit more stiff. So, do keep that in mind. I prefer coil overs to springs because it allows me to adjust my ride height when I want, but it will be a bit harder of a ride than springs. That being said, some coils come with adjustable dampening, allowing you to soften or stiffen the ride with a few turns of a shaft. Look into the ST coil overs here as, for the quality of them, they're very economically priced and are manufactured by KW.

If you want more of a softer ride combination, look into the Bilstein Tour Class shocks here and struts here. Combined with a set of springs here and you're good to go. This set up will not have adjustable dampening like coil overs though.

If you go with springs or coils, when lowering your MINI you're going to want to invest in some adjustable rear control arms as well to help with tire wear. The Hotchkis arms here are a great purchase. Let me know if you have any questions!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 AM
polibureau
Neutral
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
With any suspension upgrades you do, the ride will become a bit more stiff. So, do keep that in mind. I prefer coil overs to springs because it allows me to adjust my ride height when I want, but it will be a bit harder of a ride than springs. That being said, some coils come with adjustable dampening, allowing you to soften or stiffen the ride with a few turns of a shaft. Look into the ST coil overs here as, for the quality of them, they're very economically priced and are manufactured by KW.

If you want more of a softer ride combination, look into the Bilstein Tour Class shocks here and struts here. Combined with a set of springs here and you're good to go. This set up will not have adjustable dampening like coil overs though.

If you go with springs or coils, when lowering your MINI you're going to want to invest in some adjustable rear control arms as well to help with tire wear. The Hotchkis arms here are a great purchase. Let me know if you have any questions!
Pelican, thank you so much for this response!

I figured as much with coilovers... I am a bit concerned about making the ride any harsher as this is my DD and I drive long distance regularly. Also I'm not sure I'm the type of fiddler to be adjusting my coilovers for weekday commuting vs weekend driving, so the adjustability might be overkill for me.

Based on budget, I'm probably going to start by upgrading springs and doing all the other suspension bits to prep for a full coilover setup.

I'm going to swap out the rear sway bar for an H-Sport Comp, add in their Rear end links and a TSW X-brace. Right now just tossed on whether I'll go with JCW or TSW springs, as both are the same price on my end here in Canada.

Couple questions:

Anything else I should do while I've got the suspension apart? Bushings or any other preventative maintenance / replacements? Car has 38k miles.

Is it worth replacing the front Sway bar? I have the Sport suspension, so it's the solid 23.5mm OEM part. I can just afford to also grab the H-Sport 27mm front bar, but unsure of value.

I get a little bit of wheel hop under hard acceleration from a stop. Tires are in good shape and properly inflated - will these upgrades cure this, or is their another solution? I've heard the Alta PSRS can help, but the install is quite involved.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
to chime in a little - I don't think the TSW X brace is going to do a thing unless you are really racing the car on sticky tires, even then, probably not much. The only thing I've seen that actually does stiffen a chassis a noticeable amount is a cage or half cage. maaaybe a multipoint connected harness bar if the inside is big an open, like in a sedan.

Suspension should be fresh given the low mileage. I wouldn't do the FSB - I had to to keep legal in my class for autocross. Given you've got the sport suspension you would barely if at all notice a difference.

What tires are you on? That will make the biggest difference in behavior, though I'd check after you change the suspension.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:16 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Pelican, thank you so much for this response!

I figured as much with coilovers... I am a bit concerned about making the ride any harsher as this is my DD and I drive long distance regularly. Also I'm not sure I'm the type of fiddler to be adjusting my coilovers for weekday commuting vs weekend driving, so the adjustability might be overkill for me.

Based on budget, I'm probably going to start by upgrading springs and doing all the other suspension bits to prep for a full coilover setup.

I'm going to swap out the rear sway bar for an H-Sport Comp, add in their Rear end links and a TSW X-brace. Right now just tossed on whether I'll go with JCW or TSW springs, as both are the same price on my end here in Canada.

Couple questions:

Anything else I should do while I've got the suspension apart? Bushings or any other preventative maintenance / replacements? Car has 38k miles.

Is it worth replacing the front Sway bar? I have the Sport suspension, so it's the solid 23.5mm OEM part. I can just afford to also grab the H-Sport 27mm front bar, but unsure of value.

I get a little bit of wheel hop under hard acceleration from a stop. Tires are in good shape and properly inflated - will these upgrades cure this, or is their another solution? I've heard the Alta PSRS can help, but the install is quite involved.

Thanks!
You're very welcome! When you upgrade or modify your vehicle, comfort will be sacrificed from an OEM feel. I have heard great things about the touring class shocks/struts as far as being comparable to a comfortable ride. They give a slightly stiffer ride and increased handling potential all while retaining a smooth ride. As for the adjustable dampening, it is fairly easy to do. There is a valve that you just turn with your fingers, which stiffens or softens the ride. In your case, I'd just keep it on the softest setting since you're concerned with the ride comfort and that way you wont have to tinker with it much. Many will say that a rear sway bar is enough and is one of the best bangs for your buck modifications you can do to your MINI's suspension. For other complimentary modifications, look into Powerflex Polyurethane Suspension Bushings here. Lots of great information there about them, but in sum they help prolong tire life, improve performance, better handling and they are more cost-effective than OEM bushings.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
polibureau
Neutral
Originally Posted by kyoo
to chime in a little - I don't think the TSW X brace is going to do a thing unless you are really racing the car on sticky tires, even then, probably not much. The only thing I've seen that actually does stiffen a chassis a noticeable amount is a cage or half cage. maaaybe a multipoint connected harness bar if the inside is big an open, like in a sedan.
Good to know - so instead I think I'll drop the cash into the bushings Pelican suggested and maybe the Alta PSRS.

Suspension should be fresh given the low mileage. I wouldn't do the FSB - I had to to keep legal in my class for autocross. Given you've got the sport suspension you would barely if at all notice a difference.
The OEM JCW strut bar came on the car when I bought it used, so a nice bonus!

What tires are you on? That will make the biggest difference in behavior, though I'd check after you change the suspension.
Brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 215/45R17. Came with the car and the receipt shows they have

Old 11-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Hey NAMfam!

My new-to-me '11 R56 JCW came with the $500 Factory Sports Suspension Option, which I am finding VERY hard after a week of driving. On smooth asphalt its a dream, but on anything else it turns my spine into cream of wheat. .. which I could live with - but my wife can not :(

I also get a little bit of wheel hop when accelerating hard in first, which is triggering the DTC - and stopping all my fun.

I also plan on upgrading the sway arms and adding an x-brace, so total funds are gonna be tight, and I've been eyeing the WMW Suspension Package (TSW springs, H-Sport Sway Arm and H-Sport Rear links) plus the TSW brace.

Is this a decent option to going full coilover? Alternatively, are there any other spring options out there that improve ride quality, provide a small drop AND maintain or improve performance over stock?

I don't want a huge drop - 1" at the most, and have seen some good options including even the JCW Factory Springs.

On the flip side, I might be able to stretch to for one of the entry level coilover setups like the Megan or mayyyybe the KW v1. I'm just not sure if these are worth spending the money on, or maybe buying the springs now and saving up for one of the more expensive options later.

I've search the forums and read an encyclopaedia's worth of info and haven't really seen much on people commenting on the stock sport systems with new springs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Cheers
Not sure what you are looking for here. You start by talking about harsh ride and wanting to improve upon it. But most of your options are in the direction to make it even more stiff. Through your later posts it seems that you are interested in improving the ride but at the same time improve the handling.

As said already, any lowering spring will be stiffer; worse ride. JCW springs are stiffer than the Sports Suspension springs; worse ride. Larger rear sway bar will make the suspension stiffer; worse ride. X-brace stiffens the whole car; worse ride.

If you read enough posts on NAM that are concerned with ride and improving upon it, you will find that there is almost universal agreement that going to the FSD shocks will improve the ride. Next to that, most people would suggest changing the tires out for something like the Continental DWS all season tire. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports you have on the car are designed for handling not ride. From there you could go with a variable rate spring, but if it lowers the car, they should not be used with the FSDs. You could go with a set of MINI Cooper S springs (softer than the sport suspension springs) and the FSDs. I had this setup on my previous MINI - very nice ride and good handling; better ride and handling than with the base S shocks. Another place to improve ride is to go to a 16" wheel and tire set. But I recognize that is not an option for you as they will not clear the JCW brakes.

I have the 27mm FSB installed along with the 25 mm RSB with the rest of the sports suspension option springs and shocks...This is a phenomenal setup for the track. Ride - I would rate it to be half as good as the original sports suspension on anything other than a smooth rode.

Hope this helps