Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Best price on Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Best price on Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers ???

Folks,

I would appreciate a lead on the best priced Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers kit (GM5-D902-H0).
The Euro is 20% year to date, yet online retailers are in no hurry to drop the prices on Bilstein suspension. The best I can find so far is $1,961 from here:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...i%20Cooper%20S

Any other leads?

TIA,
alex

Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 AM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by afadeev
Folks,

I would appreciate a lead on the best priced Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers kit (GM5-D902-H0).
The Euro is 20% year to date, yet online retailers are in no hurry to drop the prices on Bilstein suspension. The best I can find so far is $1,961 from here:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...i%20Cooper%20S

Any other leads?

TIA,
alex
There is no way they can sell them for $1979.95 + shipping.....the NEW PSS10 Kit for the MINI has an MSRP of $3300.....I just bought and had a set installed at MINI Dynamics in Virginia last week. They had the best price I found for the actual new version of the B16 PSS10 Kit. They have them marked down from $3300 and you can use their 10% off coupon. The kits are all custom made at BILSTEIN in CA and the delivery time was about 3 weeks...and they are unbelievable in looks + performance. See link below

http://www.minidynamics.com/Bilstein...-48-153720.htm

Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JCW Jet
There is no way they can sell them for $1979.95 + shipping.....the NEW PSS10 Kit for the MINI has an MSRP of $3300.....I just bought and had a set installed at MINI Dynamics in Virginia last week.
If this were from some no-name seller on e-bay I'd also think it could be a false price... But this is Bav Auto.... I don't think they cheat customers..

$1900-1800.00 (us) is pretty much the running cost for a set of PSS10s.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just checked the site and the price is now $2199 + shipping.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SSSSSSSS
I just checked the site and the price is now $2199 + shipping.
Thanks folks.

I did some more research and 3-4 reputable sources all sang the same tune: Bilstein is a great name and their MINI coil-overs look great on paper, but somehow they screwed the pooch with the MINI kit. Could be the valving is off, but both PSS9 and PSS10 kits right extremely rough for no gain in handling.

I ended up getting a set of KW v3's intead.

a

Old 12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks folks.

I did some more research and 3-4 reputable sources all sang the same tune: Bilstein is a great name and their MINI coil-overs look great on paper, but somehow they screwed the pooch with the MINI kit. Could be the valving is off, but both PSS9 and PSS10 kits right extremely rough for no gain in handling.

I ended up getting a set of KW v3's intead.

a
Well, don't want to rain on your parade, but ....

I participated in test drive for a website where we drove cars side by side on the road, around the city and on a loop of challenging windy road. The cars we drove side by side were stock JCW, stock GP (ie bilstein coilovers on HR springs), JCW with KW V2 and JCW with bilstein PSS10.

The KW was the "bumpiest" option at the softer end of adjustment, and the most uncomfortable on the city commute type of road. The PSS10 has valving that makes for a more stock and compliant feeling ride on the road towards the softer end of adjustment.

In the mid to hard range of adjustment the bilsteins and the kw are very similar, and excellent for the aggressive back road type driving. Also I have driven both products on the racetrack, and both are excellent, although both benefit from increased spring rates for the track.

I have also run bilsteins in tarmac rallies, both stock and with adjusted spring rates and damping, and they have performed well. Unfortunately I have not personally driven the kw in these events, but know people who swear by them.

FWIW the GP has no bump/rebound adjustment. Front end of the the GP is similar to the PSS10/KW2 adjusted to mid range. The rear of the GP is sprung much stiffer than bilstein or kw, but has quite compliant valving.

Both the bilstein and the kw are excellent products, and I have to disagree with your "reputable sources" about the bilsteins

You won't be disappointed with the V3 though, excellent product

Last edited by robbo mcs; 12-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
I'm also a little curious about your sources, because all the reviews I've seen on this forum or others are very positive about the pss10 (with the possible comment that the springs were progressive and a little too soft for the track by some preferences).

That seems to be about the opposite of what you're describing. Care to share your sources? This is an honest question because I was considering the pss10.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Well, don't want to rain on your parade, but ....

I participated in test drive for a website where we drove cars side by side on the road, around the city and on a loop of challenging windy road. The cars we drove side by side were stock JCW, stock GP (ie bilstein coilovers on HR springs), JCW with KW V2 and JCW with bilstein PSS10.

The KW was the "bumpiest" option at the softer end of adjustment, and the most uncomfortable on the city commute type of road. The PSS10 has valving that makes for a more stock and compliant feeling ride on the road towards the softer end of adjustment.

In the mid to hard range of adjustment the bilsteins and the kw are very similar, and excellent for the aggressive back road type driving. Also I have driven both products on the racetrack, and both are excellent, although both benefit from increased spring rates for the track.

I have also run bilsteins in tarmac rallies, both stock and with adjusted spring rates and damping, and they have performed well. Unfortunately I have not personally driven the kw in these events, but know people who swear by them.

FWIW the GP has no bump/rebound adjustment. Front end of the the GP is similar to the PSS10/KW2 adjusted to mid range. The rear of the GP is sprung much stiffer than bilstein or kw, but has quite compliant valving.

Both the bilstein and the kw are excellent products, and I have to disagree with your "reputable sources" about the bilsteins

You won't be disappointed with the V3 though, excellent product
robbo_mcs,
Wish I saw your feedback a few months ago as I was opening the wallet. It would not have changed my mind as KWv3's give both rebound and compression adjustment opportunities - just enough to keep me entertained for the next year .

Do post the link to the website documenting your suspension comparison for posterity sake!

I had owned many bimmers with Bilstein's and Koni's (SA and DA), and liked both. Bilstein is a high quality suspension supplier. I was surprised to hear exclusively negative feedback about them, even from the people well them. More on that later.

My first choice were the Koni-DA coil-over kit by TC Kline, but then I got a deal on KW v3's and that was that.

Glad to finally hear something positive about PSS10s!

a

Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rhygin
I'm also a little curious about your sources, because all the reviews I've seen on this forum or others are very positive about the pss10 (with the possible comment that the springs were progressive and a little too soft for the track by some preferences).

That seems to be about the opposite of what you're describing. Care to share your sources? This is an honest question because I was considering the pss10.
Here are my observations, largely biased by ~20 years of bimmer ownership and experience with the vendors that cater to that market segment.

BMWs/MINIs are great at many things, but installing high-end suspension into their cars is not one of them. Even 'sport' and '///M' suspensions, while significantly above OEM average, always left me underwhelmed from durability (shocks die or loose effectiveness by ~50K miles) and track-worthiness perspectives. Long story short, I had upgraded suspension on every single BMW I've owned to date: E30s, E36s, E46s, E90.

The few BMW tuner shops with whom I've done business and whose opinion I had learned to respect are:
www.tcklineracing.com
www.turnermotorsport.com
store.vacmotorsports.com/suspension-c31.aspx

Recently, I've had prolonged conversations and got an impression that the following MINI tuner know what he is doing:
www.waymotorworks.com

All of the above have some MINI coil-over products on offer (most have more than one brand), or have opinions on the ones they used to sell but had stopped due to low market demand (sad but true - there aren't that many hard-core MINI track rats).

None of the above recommended Bilstein coil-overs.
Feel free to call any or all of them to find out why, and form your own opinion.

YMMV,
a

Old 12-10-2013, 01:41 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
robbo_mcs,
Wish I saw your feedback a few months ago as I was opening the wallet. It would not have changed my mind as KWv3's give both rebound and compression adjustment opportunities - just enough to keep me entertained for the next year .

Do post the link to the website documenting your suspension comparison for posterity sake!
Here is a link to the website review

http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/08/03/...v-mini-gp.html

I did not write the review, and there are few minor errors (it says kw v1 but it was v2 etc). The review also focuses more on the cars in general rather than suspension. The GP was my car. Also the article does not refer to my other car JCW with PSS10, as for all practical purposes that is the same as the JCW with KW, provided by one of the other drivers. BMW provided us with the stock JCW for the review.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No offence to Way, Turner, or TCK but I will never take a retailer's word on products. There's a profit margin at play there. Whether they know what they're talking about, or have the experienced needed, I can't trust a retailer. Did you ever think it's possible that Billstein has a much narrower margin for profit than the other bands at their respective price points? I dunno, if my job is to sell a product to pay the bills, and 2 comparably performing products have a major difference in profit margin, I'm going to push the one I make more money on a whole hell of a lot more.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
No offence to Way, Turner, or TCK but I will never take a retailer's word on products. There's a profit margin at play there. Whether they know what they're talking about, or have the experienced needed, I can't trust a retailer. Did you ever think it's possible that Billstein has a much narrower margin for profit than the other bands at their respective price points? I dunno, if my job is to sell a product to pay the bills, and 2 comparably performing products have a major difference in profit margin, I'm going to push the one I make more money on a whole hell of a lot more.
A fair concern. All things being equal, I share it.

On the other hand, you either have to commit time and capital to do your own un-biased evaluation, or rely on an opinion of someone who had earned your trust. I had spent a serious amount of money on suspension components with both TC Kline and Turner over MANY years (can't comment on Way), and have zero regrets to show for it. Both guys race their cars and support multiple racing teams. VAC is a local race prep shop that is also BMW CCA racing series sponsor.

All three had recommended different street/track coil-over setups (Koni DA, JRZ, KW). None fingered Bilstein. Two spoke highly of Bilstein as a company, but would not recommend the MINI-specific coil-over package.

YMMV,
a

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good info. On the same hand, a close friend of mine who is a big time BMW enthusiast, driving school instructed, and someone who builds and races BMW's couldn't say enough bad things about Koni, and lives by Billstein lol.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:04 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Bilstein makes excellent shocks, it's just that they pair them with progressive springs which I'd avoid with a coilover. But PSS10s have great valving and a useful adjuster (unlike PSS9s).

Off the shelf I'd probably prefer KW V2, but with custom springs on both I'd go with Bilstein PSS10. A bit more money though.

Also, don't just buy from the cheapest place you can find. Go with a shop that knows suspension and Minis so that they can help with set-up.

- Andy

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 AM
kreative
4th Gear
sorry for the thread hijack, but can anyone recommend best price on KW V1 coilovers?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,772 Posts
We carry KW / H&R / ST / Bilstein to name a few.

For KW V1 for the R56 Cooper S / JCW . We also include $100.00 - 200.00 gift card dependent on what model and Variant.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2007-Cooper-R56-S-Coupe-L4_1.6L_N14B16A/Suspension/Coilovers/ES2672502/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Club77
3rd Gear
Hi I am looking for height adjustable coilover for my MCS r56 LCI model.
Which is the best choice for comfort not for track.
Bilstein PSS14 / KW V1 / H&R Street

Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM
bennys8
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am looking for coilovers. I have a 2013 JCW hardtop. Will the KW V1 be just as comfortable or maybe more comfortable? Are the PSS10 more comfortable than the KW V1? Greatly appreciate your insights. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been on Ohlins with Vorshlag camber plates for a few weeks now. They can be setup very comfortable for highway and still handle great. At $2600.00 shipped.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:03 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
as far as i've seen searching around, turner motorsport seems to have the lowest price as far as anything related to bilstein goes.