Suspension Lowering Springs = adjustable rear lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I posted this in another thread. These are the specs for a CMs4 w/17's.
This is from a 3 week old Hunter machine.
Looking at the factory set up on my car you can clearly see the rear camber is quite aggressive.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a heads up for anyone looking for arms, check ebay item #350589895373

I just bought a pair, $149 with free shipping. I was a bit leery because the ad shows a photo of two arms, but the wording says "arm" as in singular. They came yesterday and sure enough it's a pair. Also, as you can see in the photo, they appear to be the original style SPC (which sell for $300 a pair). If I never saw SPC arms in person then I'd believe these were SPC, but having installed a couple sets I can see that these are identical except the SPC arms are a dull grey color (anodizing?) and these are more of a natural aluminum color with the logo "MS" silkscreened on them, and the packaging said MS as well. They have the OEM style rubber bushings, identical to SPC. So I'm happy, the same as SPC for half the cost. The ebay listing is showing they have two sets remaining.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 PM
broussardc
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Greg, I just ordered a set!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darn! no more of those ebay LCAs left!

Does anyone know if the LCAs we buy have to be specifically for r60s or will r56s LCAs fit?

Are these the same as the ones posted previously?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-CAMBER-...39a935&vxp=mtr

Also to those that have gotten an alignment with NM springs, do you notice the rear suspension bottoming out less now? Someone mentioned that earlier and I was curious what the general consensus was on that?

My CMS with the NM springs (without alignment) constantly bottoms out the rear suspension with passengers in the car. I was hoping maybe getting the camber correct would fix that issue?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:21 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Are these the same as the ones posted previously?
Those say that they have spherical bearings (instead of rubber bushings) and I emailed them to clarify (previously, before I found the other ones I bought) but they never wrote back. I didn't want the bearings because they'd give a harsh ride and need periodic greasing.

Does anyone know if the LCAs we buy have to be specifically for r60s or will r56s LCAs fit?
They're all the same.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Mark Gallo
2nd Gear
This thread was SO helpful. Thanks guys!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM
miniwpbear
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan

What did they set you at, JohnJohn?

Went to the dealer the other day after putting in the NM springs and they set the rear camber at -2.1 left and -2.2 right.

From the top of the Hunter printout, it looks like they put in "Sports Suspension" and "18" wheel" into the computer (though, from handwritten marks, it was corrected to 19" wheels). I suspect that the "Sports Suspension" to which they refer is the MINI OEM sports suspension, which is obviously different from the NM springs. (I would post up the printout, but my scanner decided it no longer wants to work, so I'll have to do it at the office.)

Anyway, it seems a bit excessive negative camber to me and I'm thinking of taking it back in for them to reduce it a touch. Even for more spirited driving I would expect something in the mid- to high -1.0s.

Edit: My sheet looks similar to the one you posted at Post 67 of this thread. The ranges for rear camber on my sheet and the one you posted are "-2.0 to -2.2." Seems like a tight range with that favors a lot of negative camber. Wonder what the deal is?
So if not factory sport suspension, but adding nm springs, adjustable rear control arms, nm rear sway bar, and a front strut bar; which alignment specs should be used? I'm on factory 17" wheels. Should I tell the alignment shop to use factory normal or factory sport?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
Thank you!

Very helpful thread.

Thank you!
~MattS