Suspension NM lowering springs = good stuff

Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
SilverArrow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by advantyper
Your car look pretty sharp!

Could you take a picture of the space between the tire to the shock? My CMS will arrive next month and I plan on getting the lower springs and same set of wheels, those are V710? but with 235/40/19 tires, so wondering if there are any room left for wider tires

how much does each wheel weight?

Tks
Hey there, how do I take a photo of the space between the tire to the shock? Sorry for such a qn, not meant to frustrate you, I'm just not sure which area you are refering to and if I am able to reach inside to take the photo.

As for wider tires, here is my thought: The tires I am using are Michelin PSS. The side profile of this tire seems more rounder, if you could understand from my photo, or maybe another photo I can take later on can show you this. Since the side wide is not straight up, if you are to use Michelin PSS too, I am 100% confident that 235s will not rub since it is only 5mm more on each side. I wanted to go 235s so that I can get that straight side wall look on the tires, but my experience tells me to fit tires according to the thickness of the rim, which is 8.5". Perhaps those who have experience can share too whether they feel that when you use a wider tire than needed and you travel fast (>180kmh), the tires feel wobbly. This may just be a simple tire issue, and not related to the wider tires And like I said, perhaps other tires you flat side walls may make a difference compared to the Michelins I'm using.

The rims I am using are customized forged. I did not check the weight though.

Cheers

Old 06-18-2012, 01:17 PM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took my All4S in to the dealer for an alignment check. Seems everything was mostly OK except for the rear camber. They maxed out the rear camber adjustment trying to get it into spec, but still the camber is very negative. They recommended looking for some aftermarket lower control arms to allow for more camber adjustments.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
That sounds promising! I don't see anything made for the front camber, but at least the rear control arms are available.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 AM
CountryStyle
1st Gear
I finally installed my NM springs. It took me 2h30 and it is really easy to do. I used this how to: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-how-to.html

Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
FYI 240/40/29 with the NM springs is rubbing like crazy.. Im thinking of going with a different rear setup! Any advice?? I have -2.9 rear camb. Might do the arms then see where I am at..

Old 07-01-2012, 08:33 PM
cm.d
2nd Gear
29s is pimpin!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by frstrtdmac
FYI 240/40/29 with the NM springs is rubbing like crazy.. Im thinking of going with a different rear setup! Any advice?? I have -2.9 rear camb. Might do the arms then see where I am at..
I'm guessing you meant 245/40/19? Rubbing in the front or rear? MotoGreg seemed to fit it okay. Wonder what the deal is.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:17 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
What an amazing difference in handling just a set of NM coils can make. It's almost as good as my NM lowered R55. A rear swaybar, a strut bar, and rear arms and he'll probably be better than my ole R55. great mod!

less than 600 miles... lowered it today

NM springs

Last edited by JohnJohn; 07-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
What an amazing difference in handling just a set of NM coils can make. It's almost as good as my NM lowered R55. A rear swaybar, a strut bar, and rear arms and he'll probably be better than my ole R55. great mod!

less than 600 miles... lowered it today

NM springs

Looks good, John x2. NM is coming out with a rear sway bar for the R60 very soon. I'm looking forward to it.

What are your thoughts on a front sway bar? Is the OEM sufficient with a strut bar? You never hear much about people upgrading their front sway bars.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Looks good, John x2. NM is coming out with a rear sway bar for the R60 very soon. I'm looking forward to it.

What are your thoughts on a front sway bar? Is the OEM sufficient with a strut bar? You never hear much about people upgrading their front sway bars.
I talked with Jerry at NM a few days ago. End of this month(July).

I've never changed out the front bar. If I was going lower I would change the front sway bar link to an adjustable set. The key to getting the most of your sway bar is the stiffness/thickness of the bar and keeping the connection point level.

As for a strut bar. Some say since the R53 they are useless. However I noticed a difference in my R55 in hard diving turns. I'll be adding one to my R60. Probably NM. However Jerry said they are still developing the mount for that. Which means probably Fall. :(

Last edited by JohnJohn; 07-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
I talked with Jerry at NM a few days ago. End of this month(July).

I've never changed out the front bar. If I was going lower I would change the front sway bar link to an adjustable set. The key getting to most of your sway bar is the stiffness/thickness of the bar and keeping the connection point level.

As for a strut bar. Some say since the R53 they are useless. However I noticed a difference in my R55 in hard diving turns. I'll be adding one to my R60. Probably NM. However Jerry said they are still developing the mount for that. Which means probably Fall. :(
Good to know. You going with your old LCAs?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Good to know. You going with your old LCAs?
nope my old Clubman arms are the stock ones I removed. I just measured them to reference them to the stock R60 length. So I could order some that would fit. I ordered the SPC set I referenced in the LCA thread. I like those because they aren't using any welds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150779687439...84.m1439.l2649

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM
SmithWerks
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice lil dub collection you got there.
20+ yr dubber myself.
I have my NM springs in the garage, by CM only has 130mi on it. LOL
I figure I gotta wait till like 500 or so.. just so I can remember what stock was even like at some point

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SmithWerks
nice lil dub collection you got there.
20+ yr dubber myself.
I have my NM springs in the garage, by CM only has 130mi on it. LOL
I figure I gotta wait till like 500 or so.. just so I can remember what stock was even like at some point
Thanks. The 69 Square is one of smaller reasons I bailed on my R55. It was getting no attention...and heck it's pretty much a Clubman anyway. The 71 Ghia Convertable is the wife's. I sold my lifted Jeeps(my before Mini auto fetish) and bought her that. There's a 72 1/2 SBeetle behind door number 3.

<sorry thread...back to discussing NM Springs>

Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
nope my old Clubman arms are the stock ones I removed. I just measured them to reference them to the stock R60 length. So I could order some that would fit. I ordered the SPC set I referenced in the LCA thread. I like those because they aren't using any welds.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150779687439...84.m1439.l2649
Keep us posted on how these work for you - I ordered my NM springs last week, but want to make sure I do it right!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Shoe Coupe
4th Gear
hey, does anyone notice their ride being WAY HARSH with the NMs?

Ive had the NM's on for a couple months now, and while the handling is MUCH improved, the ride is just awful. I know part of this is due to the run flats, but it's constantly bottoming out the supension (no rubbing) here in crappy bumpy LA freeways.

I have the bump stops cut, but I swear even the smallest bump in the road feels like it's goign to break my back. If I have passengers, especially in the rear, it's almost always bottoming out or riding harsh enough to cause the rear passenger to bounce in their seat.

Is this normal? I checked my tire pressure and it was at 30 psi, EXTREMELY rough, but then I put it up to about 38 psi and its a bit smoother but still bottoms out almost always.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
I'm guessing you meant 245/40/19? Rubbing in the front or rear? MotoGreg seemed to fit it okay. Wonder what the deal is.
Great question.. Im going to install LCA's and see where Im at with alignment. If not, I might do something exotic in the rear.

I don't think the +35 wheels have anything to do with it, but you never know.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
JohnJohn
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoe Coupe
hey, does anyone notice their ride being WAY HARSH with the NMs?

Ive had the NM's on for a couple months now, and while the handling is MUCH improved, the ride is just awful. I know part of this is due to the run flats, but it's constantly bottoming out the supension (no rubbing) here in crappy bumpy LA freeways.

I have the bump stops cut, but I swear even the smallest bump in the road feels like it's goign to break my back. If I have passengers, especially in the rear, it's almost always bottoming out or riding harsh enough to cause the rear passenger to bounce in their seat.

Is this normal? I checked my tire pressure and it was at 30 psi, EXTREMELY rough, but then I put it up to about 38 psi and its a bit smoother but still bottoms out almost always.
I've got 100lbs of 17" Challange Spoke wheels in the back of mine right now, and it's pretty smooth. I do feel the run flats more now though.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
From what I know, the less tire pressure, the more cushy ride your going to have, but uneven wear on your tires..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:53 AM
frstrtdmac
3rd Gear
Btw, Does anyone have your original "sport" rear springs?? Id like to buy them to fuel my thoughts

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
I just found this thread. I mainly just look in the wheel section and I don't think I've been in the suspension forum since before we got our car.

I don't think the +35 wheels have anything to do with it, but you never know.
frstrtdmac, I don't understand that statement. That offset pushes the wheels outward a bit too much, so the outer edge of the rear tire contacts the inner edge of the black plastic fender arch. Here is what Silver Arrow posted earlier in this thread, and he's correct...

In my opinion, 8.5 +45 is the maximum offset you can have, +35 is a strict no.
I had also posted the same thing in the wheel section in the past. I said that +35 was good for an 8" wide wheel, and that +42 was good for an 8.5" wheel. I think +40 is the limit on an 8.5" wheel on a lowered R60, and +45 is optimum.

If you adjust your negative camber (with a different LCA) to a setting that isn't as negative, then it will rub worse. On the plus side, after a couple thousand miles it should be fine, once the tire grinds off the plastic lip. Or, you can just take a dremel or something and trim the inside of the plastic lip. I've had too many lowered cars to remember, and if a tire ever rubs something metal then I make changes, but if it's just rubbing a plastic fender liner, or plastic wheel arch or something, then I just let it clearance itself and don't worry about it.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 07-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotoGreg

frstrtdmac, I don't understand that statement. That offset pushes the wheels outward a bit too much, so the outer edge of the rear tire contacts the inner edge of the black plastic fender arch. Here is what Silver Arrow posted earlier in this thread, and he's correct...

I had also posted the same thing in the wheel section in the past. I said that +35 was good for an 8" wide wheel, and that +42 was good for an 8.5" wheel. I think +40 is the limit on an 8.5" wheel on a lowered R60, and +45 is optimum.

If you adjust your negative camber (with a different LCA) to a setting that isn't as negative, then it will rub worse. On the plus side, after a couple thousand miles it should be fine, once the tire grinds off the plastic lip. Or, you can just take a dremel or something and trim the inside of the plastic lip. I've had too many lowered cars to remember, and if a tire ever rubs something metal then I make changes, but if it's just rubbing a plastic fender liner, or plastic wheel arch or something, then I just let it clearance itself and don't worry about it.

I am leaning more and more towards some coil overs, perhaps KWs, so that I can adjust the drop to avoid too much rubbing. (And it would spare me the burden of having to replace the struts further down the line.) The cost of the NM springs plus some sporty struts like the Koni Yellows is not too far off from the cost of the KWs V.3.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Hujan, you'll be fine with your setup, it's only 2mm more outward than mine.

so that I can adjust the drop to avoid too much rubbing
The NM springs don't drop it that much, I can't see spending a lot of money on something else only to lower it even less than the NM springs do. Aftermarket coilovers are great if you want to go super low, but for just a mild 1.5" drop you can't beat the NM springs, they're the best bang for the buck modification you can make to the R60.

My wife is a 50 year old woman who has never driven a lowered car in her life. She is the last person you'd expect to have lowering springs on her car. Believe me, if I went and did something to her brand new pride and joy that caused it to make noises, or do something funny, she would of had me put it back to the way it was immediately. She wanted nothing to do with lowering it, but now that she keeps getting compliments from people on how much better it looks she loves it.

Your +40 is only 2mm more outward than my +42. We are pushing the limit, and are right on the edge. frstrtdmac went 5mm past the limit so he needs to make room by trimming his plastic arch 5mm. You'll be fine. And like I said before, the offer is open to come by and take a drive in our car if you'd like to see for yourself how it is.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MotoGreg
Hujan, you'll be fine with your setup, it's only 2mm more outward than mine.

The NM springs don't drop it that much, I can't see spending a lot of money on something else only to lower it even less than the NM springs do. Aftermarket coilovers are great if you want to go super low, but for just a mild 1.5" drop you can't beat the NM springs, they're the best bang for the buck modification you can make to the R60.

My wife is a 50 year old woman who has never driven a lowered car in her life. She is the last person you'd expect to have lowering springs on her car. Believe me, if I went and did something to her brand new pride and joy that caused it to make noises, or do something funny, she would of had me put it back to the way it was immediately. She wanted nothing to do with lowering it, but now that she keeps getting compliments from people on how much better it looks she loves it.

Your +40 is only 2mm more outward than my +42. We are pushing the limit, and are right on the edge. frstrtdmac went 5mm past the limit so he needs to make room by trimming his plastic arch 5mm. You'll be fine. And like I said before, the offer is open to come by and take a drive in our car if you'd like to see for yourself how it is.
Thanks, Greg. I was kidding with the frowny face. I'm sure the +40 will be fine.

Though, I'll admit that frstrtdmac and Shoe Coupe's comments about rubbing and harshness, respectively, made me hesitate about the NM springs. What is your take on needing to replace the rear LCA to avoid uneven tire wear? Way of Waymotorworks recommended them to me when I brought up the NM springs the other day.

And, in your experience, will the lowering springs beat up the stock struts in the long run, or is that overblown in your experience?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM
liveSTRONG
3rd Gear
I'm wondering why I haven't seen these mentioned here before - would they be a good option to get the rear camber back in line after the NM drop?

http://www.altaperformance.com/count...r-control-arms

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension NM lowering springs = good stuff