Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension Ireland adjustable camber plates vs. Ireland fixed camber plates for the street

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Chilipeppa03
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ireland adjustable camber plates vs. Ireland fixed camber plates for the street

How hard is it to install the Ireland adjustable camber plates vs. the ireland fixed camber plates? You guys have any instructions? Also this is more of a street driven car and I want to know if I really need adjustable plates. The fixed ones are only $180 and the adjustables are $275. A BIG DIFFERNCE IN PRICE! My plan is to keep the front camber between -1.5 to -1.8 but I know with the fixed plates the camber will not be even side to side. Will this effect the handling and stability any? Would I even notice that it is off?
THANKS!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
The big question is what springs are you going to use?? You can use stock springs with the fixed plates but if you use lowering springs you'll have too much camber. I'd suggest the adjustable set. You can really dial it in, and if you change out springs later you'll be able to reuse your camber plates. Install is pretty much the same for both sets. I sell both versions of the ireland plates. Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Chilipeppa03
3rd Gear
Right now I have H-sport springs on koni yellows. Also I have 15x6.5 wheel on 205/50/15 tires. What you think?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
I run hsports with ie adjustables and the stock dampers. While I hate the hsport springs because of their progressive rate style rebound when i blow an apex... I am quite a fan of the ie adjustables. They aren't as nice as say the hsport's or some of the other big names plates but the do not raise ride height and the price is right...

Old 12-06-2007, 01:14 PM
heyduard
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, folks have mentioned the difference in the camber from side to side in camber with the fixed plates, but then most likely it was that way stock. As for feeling the difference? I have not seen anyone post saying so. If anything, they liked the ride of the fixed because of the beefy bushings. What were your front camber numbers from your last alignment? Probably not the same. I will have to ask my shop for the numbers the next time the Mini gets an alignment. Despite mushroomed towers, the shop seems to be able to dial it back to stock settings.

Supposedly, the front subframe is slotted to allow minor correction anyway.

The adjustable plates shine at the track to optimize tire traction. You will also need a pyrometer and a spiral notebook and pencil.

Like everyone, I have an opinion.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Chilipeppa03
3rd Gear
my alignment now:

Front camber: -0.3 on passenger -0.5 on driver
Front toe: 1/16 toe out
Rear Camber: -1.4
Rear toe: 1/16 toe in

The alignment I want:

Front camber: -1.5 to -1.8 with either fixed or adjustables
Front toe: 0 toe
Rear camber: -1.2
Rear toe: 1/16 toe in

Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am running the fixed plates on my 06. Also lowered the car about a inch and a quarter.

Front camber is. -1.8 on driver side AND -.2.1 on pass side.
Front toe : 0
Rear camber : -0.8
Rear Toe: 1/16 in.

I love this setting. However , I would get the adjustable kit since the car has not even camber settings from the factory as you can see I ended up with diffrent #ers. That way you can put the car up on an alignment and get it even on both side.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This isn’t going to help you make a decision but here is some first hand experience with the IE Fixed Camber Plates. When installing the first time there was contact between the JCW spring and the driver’s side wheel well.

The stock spring had more bind than the JCW’s. The springs were mounted on both FSD and OEM shocks to see if it made a difference and it did not.

Mr. Ireland was gracious and modified the plates so that there would be clearance.

My camber settings were un-equal with the OEM guide supports but after installing the custom fixed plates camber was identical for both sides. After installing Bilstein SP shocks, camber was reduced by .3 degrees; unusual because the front struts have a 5mm lower spring perch. After an ill-fated attempt to install a defective set of TSW springs, which had major wheel well contact, I installed the OEM springs, which also pressed against the chassis big time. I had to go beyond flattening the offending rib, to reshaping the wall, to prevent the OEM spring from binding at full steering lock in one direction.

There are no slots in the subframe to provide any alignment movement; the strut tower holes have a little wiggle room with the IE studs, but not much.

In my case the fixed plates provided even camber so I lucked out. If you will use the search function there is much discussion on the merits of both plates.

Last edited by k-huevo; 12-06-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 PM
COOUUPER S
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I belive the 05+ or even only the 06 models have that driver side wheel well weld. Mine was slightly rubbing as well. A little hammer action fixed the problem.