Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension 19mm Swaybar - What, Where, Who?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19mm Swaybar - What, Where, Who?

Okay, before summer disappears, I figure I'd get me a 19mm swaybar for my R56. Lowering, if at all, will probably wait till next year. So my questions:

What brand? Whiteline, Alta, H-Sport, H&R? Any significant advantages to a particular brand? I've read through the threads, and haven't seen any reason to avoid any of these.

Can it be installed by a relative novice with low frustration levels? Any unique tools needed?

I live about 50 miles north of Philly. Would I be smarter just taking my car down to Helix and have them do it (although I hate driving into the city)? I think they carry the H-Sport. I'm figuring I should be able to get it done for <$300 (including the bar). Sound about right?

Or just take one to a local shop? There's a shop nearby that looks capable, but don't know how much extra time it would take someone who hasn't done an install before.

All opinions appreciated.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey shameless plug for us here at ALTA but I understand the significance of needing a reputable shop to do the labor. You might PM the Candyman here or call JSCSPeed.com They are an ALTA reseller and W/D in your area an they may have a local shop they work with to recommend. No matter which you choose, you will love the improvements in handling!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:47 PM
nypepper
3rd Gear
H&R because it comes with the best bushings ever
they never need grease and never squeak
you can order it through many H&R resellers including alta

Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get Alta's sway bar...high quality, looks good, and adjustable...and with my car on a lift, it took me about 10min to change the rear sway bar myself.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
nypepper
3rd Gear
high quality ?
i had an alta for just under a year. it squeaked like hell and the paint was flaking off
the bushing clamps where hitting the body
hint you can get the H&R for less $ than the alta if you shop around

Old 09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
nypepper
3rd Gear
from alta"s own site

Designed to reduce body roll, increase lateral stiffness and improve handling, H&R Sway Bars are crafted from a special 50CrV4 spring steel that is both stronger and more resilient than competitive sway bars. H&R Sway Bars are bent on proprietary machines designed by H&R that seamlessly produce beautiful complex curves making H&R Sway Bars a perfect fit for your vehicle.

All H&R Sway Bar kits have been shot peened and heat treated, and feature precision forged ends - many applications have multiple end link mounting points for adjustability. Also included are H&R exclusive bushings made from a Urethane / Teflon composite that eliminates squeaks, and don't require lubrication. Ever. That means no mess, no maintenance-just bolt in H&R Sway Bars and go!

Like all H&R components, H&R Sway Bars are 100% made in Germany, and are powder coated for long lasting good looks and durability on the street and track.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:37 AM
poison123
1st Gear
I've got a Hotchkis bar on mine and it has special holes for hitting it with a grease gun. I'm really happy with it!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
I've been very happy with the H-sport! You just need a good torque wrench and it is a pretty easy DIY...

Old 09-07-2007, 06:13 AM
ajakeski
4th Gear
I have the Alta. After about six months it started squeaking. I loaded it up with bearing grease and it has been quiet ever since.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Turn In Concepts
2nd Gear
We have been rather happy with Whiteline parts.

Now, I know everyone coming in here and jumping up and down for their favorite brand doesn't help your decision, but one thing you have going for you is this:

No matter which you go with, the handling will be improved. In the end you'll be happier with the car, and that's what matters.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
I agree with TIC. these bars aren't highly specialized product. Every brand seems to have certain things associated with them. Alta has generally quality products and are amazingly active on the boards for help, support, and customer service. H&R tends to have that air of quality German manufacturing. I dont know much about H sport or whiteline. But you can listen to other people on those. IMO find a good deal from a reputable company if you are that strapped for cash, if not go with the vendor you trust most

Old 09-07-2007, 10:46 AM
SEAL6
4th Gear
I think the H&R swaybar is for 02-06 models only...

Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
http://altaminiperformance.com/produ...-Bar-Rear-19MM
R56 friendly

Last edited by familiarstranger; 09-07-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SEAL6
I think the H&R swaybar is for 02-06 models only...
Everything I've read says '02-'06 swaybars work on '07. My '07 has an '02-'06 H-Sport comp (way motor works) and is great.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 PM
SEAL6
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dwjj
Everything I've read says '02-'06 swaybars work on '07. My '07 has an '02-'06 H-Sport comp (way motor works) and is great.
Well that is good to know!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Hank
4th Gear
I installed an Alta sway bar on my JCWS and the ride difference was significantly improved. I would not recommend the 19mm the difference is not significant enough to make the purhcase worthwhile go for the 22mm. That said it does squeek in cold weather if others in this post recommend the H&R because the bushings work well and don't squeek than go for the H&R I just might switch mine out to the H&R as well, but definately do the 22mm not the 19mm if you are going to spend the money you might as well makes sure the difference is great enough to make the difference wothwhile.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Candyman
Banned
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Hey shameless plug for us here at ALTA but I understand the significance of needing a reputable shop to do the labor. You might PM the Candyman here or call JSCSPeed.com They are an ALTA reseller and W/D in your area an they may have a local shop they work with to recommend. No matter which you choose, you will love the improvements in handling!
Thanks Adam -- I've got a few places I can reccomend and I'll take your shameless plug for Alta and raise it with a shameless plug for Alta AND JSC Speed.

I'd go w/ the Alta 19mm bar, it has 3 adjustment holes, is a great shade of red, and won't squeak provided you grease it up really well w/ the included grease packs.

There are a few other 19mm bars on the market (H&R, Hotchkis) but I think Alta has this one in the bag. I've used alot of their suspension stuff in the past and am a big fan. It's a shame us mini owners don't need mounts, or we could get some of those sexy billet mounts that the Evo/STi guys get.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Candyman
Banned
FYI I think I might have just talked to you in the parking lot here...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:36 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Yeah looks like the H&R isn't available for the 07 yet, but I have one on my 02 had it on for approx 8 months now no squeaks etc no hassles. Couldn't be happier, got it brand new for $160

Old 09-07-2007, 02:04 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman
FYI I think I might have just talked to you in the parking lot here...
That was me....

I got the 19mm Alta from JSCspeed. I didn't get the 22 because to me the idea is to get the best balance of parts. I'm not sure how well the 22 would be with the stock suspension, and I never go to thr track (well, almost never).

Now to get it on. It talks about lowering the subframe and 16mm wrenches. I don't think I have a 16mm, or even knew they existed. I may just take it down to the local performance shop and see if they'll throw it in for $50.

I heard (maybe here) that if you wrap the bar with teflon tape where the bushings go, it will eliminate the squeaking. Anybody try that?

Thanks for all the help,

Old 09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
from what i understand the H&R for the R53 would fit the R56. anyone have any experience of 19mm vs 22mm?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
dwjj
6th Gear
The H-Sport is a 25.4mm hollow bar-supposed to be equal to a 21 or 22mm solid. I have it on the middle adjustment-REALLY helps corners. I honestly didn't notice ride degradation on the straights.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Turn In Concepts
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper

I heard (maybe here) that if you wrap the bar with teflon tape where the bushings go, it will eliminate the squeaking. Anybody try that?

Thanks for all the help,
yes, and it is a great trick. I was just about to post that as a suggestion when I saw this.

edit: and might I also suggest erring on the side of starting softer, and working up to stiffer. We've had customers who did not heed this advice, and ended up regretting it by letting their car get away from them.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM
PaulCIssa
4th Gear
I did Alta's 19mm on a standard-suspension R56. It's dead-nuts neutral through street-speed corners. I'd probably do 22mm on sport-suspension but that's just me....

I'm on the tightest setting and I can induce rotation on command. It's very inspiring...

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Candyman
Banned
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
from what i understand the H&R for the R53 would fit the R56.
That is correct. The R56 amd R53 rear suspensions are very similar -- swaybars and control arms are the same.

Quick Reply: Suspension 19mm Swaybar - What, Where, Who?