Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 10:18 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the 2004 cars stumble?

Every morning my MCS model in my bedroom, 1/43 model in my office and brochure on my nightstand (hey, ya gotta have night reading :smile: all make me think about my checkbook (read a deposit to order!)... Never have I been this excited to get a new car. Granted was excited to order my Vette, but not like this :smile:

Once I get the three spoke wheel and rear fogs confirmed I'll mozy on down to the dealer. The MCS I drove in the summer with NO submble (and 16" wheels) and the one I drove this past weekend (WITH 17" wheels AND stumble) are notably different. I remember a stumble like this, in my 1986 Grand AM p.o.s... I spoke with my negibhor (attorney for Ford and was involved in the Firestone mess) he said a class action suit might not profit (due to no recorded injuries/loss of property) BUT if you got the NHSTA involved, it would certainly raise some rucus.

ASK MINI didn't seem to be concerned about this. I spoke about two issues, the windshield problem was "to be fixed on 2004's, due to strengthened pillars and more consistent glass". The stumble however "we are still evaluating it, think it might be a characteristic of the car". :evil:

well back to work <whip cracks>

-Matt

Old 10-03-2003, 01:32 PM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ASK MINI didn't seem to be concerned about this. I spoke about two issues, the windshield problem was "to be fixed on 2004's, due to strengthened pillars and more consistent glass". The stumble however "we are still evaluating it, think it might be a characteristic of the car". :evil:
And here I thought the CD's were being burned for the fix. Why is it so hard for MINIUSA to be consistent when it comes to their response on this issue. I certainly hope they are not really taking the position that the stumble is a characteristic of the car, since some do and some don't stumble.

I was holding off on mailing the certified letter to MINI Division of BMWNA, but with this recent response, I'm beginning the lemon law process immediately. If MINI resolves the stumble issue, great. If not, I'll just be closer to resolving the issue through the legal system.

100% fed up with the misinformation,
JS

Old 10-03-2003, 01:43 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
I finally got mine fixed!!

Check out this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...c=17023&31

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 10-04-2003, 09:49 AM
res0zvle
1st Gear
This may be an attempt by Mini to buy a little time to possibly avoid the many pending, and those contemplating, buy-back proceedings (including mine). How long did Mini string us along with the “should be any day now” aux port fiasco?

Old 10-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Cooperb!
3rd Gear
>>ASK MINI didn't seem to be concerned about this. I spoke about two issues, the windshield problem was "to be fixed on 2004's, due to strengthened pillars and more consistent glass". The stumble however "we are still evaluating it, think it might be a characteristic of the car". :evil:
>>
>>-Matt

Matt, it's not a characteristic of the car.

Having done 14,000 miles in an 02 MCS with no stumble, my 03 MCS has the stumble.

Hence it's a recent addition to the car's performance, and not a feature or driver issue.

BMW have been working on a fix, and a fix is out there in a few cars already.

People just need to wait a little longer until their dealers have the ECU SW upgrade, or alternatively they can have their dealers send back their ECU to NJ for the older 'stumble free' software to be flashed onto it.

Classic forum hysteria, where a 'bad' feature gets lots of posts.....IMHO

Chris.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Redbird73
Coordinator :: St. Louis MINI Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I inquired about the latest stumble news, and here is the e-mail I got from my service manager:

Version 36 is not available til december, but we can send your control unit to N.J. and have them install what eventially will become version 36. The car will be down for three days due to fedexing the part back & forth. Call me to schedule if you decide that you can't wait any longer.

I am not in a hurry so I'm waiting until December. If they don't have the fix to the dealer by early Dec, I will have them ship the ECU off for reprogramming.

Aaron

Old 10-23-2003, 03:41 PM
~sugar~
3rd Gear
My MINIs DME is in NJ right now, should be coming back tomorrow. I've had an Oldsmobile Alero since Saturday (that thing eats gas). Hopefully the new software is amazing!

Old 11-20-2003, 11:12 PM
ArqAngel
1st Gear
I was at my dealer today and while sitting there the service manager received the official fax stating that ver. 36 will be available here in Canada in early January it also said that it will only be installed on MINIs that owners have complained about it, so it's not a general upgrade...... While there I also was fortunate enough to drive a 2004 Cooper S which had 1100 km on the clock and it didn't have the stumble, a noticably different feeling car from mine, much different power band and WAY smoother acceleration.. I asked what version of software it was running and they said "same as my 06/2003 build CooperS: ver. 35"....

Old 11-20-2003, 11:12 PM
ArqAngel
1st Gear
I forgot to mention, I'm in Western Canada.