Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Stumble

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the risk of being flamed, I have 3 questions.

1. Where is the yoyo thread, mob, witch hunt, lawsuit etc ... My 06.03 MCS stumbles, most often only the first time I take off, after that very rarely. The yoyo or peak, valley,peak valley acceleration is very prevelent however and if I had to pick 1 thing to get fixed, yesterday, that would be my pick.

2.The car has let me down pulling into traffic twice. Is that the stumble ? I thought the stumble was when the car jerked just prior to fully realeasing the clutch in first, thus making all on-lookers assume you just can't drive a stick. Are these the same problem, or is there a fumble and a stumble ?

3. Does everyone who wants the update indeed have to call ask-mini ? Why wouldn't a call to my dealer, since he now has 2 other problems to fix be sufficient.

I apologize for being slightly out of the loop, but keeping up on this issue has chewed up way too much time.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:33 AM
vespa
4th Gear
The woman I spoke to wasn't all that impressed with my story. She simply offered to take my VIN if I really wanted her to. She said they're just kinda collecting some data right now and that maybe they'd call me if a solution is found.

Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy OmToast,

Thanks for posting your experience with ASK-MINI. I do firmly believe that MINI is working on this issue and wants a fix as badly as we do, if for no other reason than to shut me up. :smile: I never in a million years expected to become such an outspoken and vocal critic of MINIUSA. In fact, those who have met me in person would be quick to tell you that I am a quiet and laid-back guy. I always try to be pleasant and friendly and treat people the way I would want to be treated. Simply, I think MINIUSA handled this issue about as poorly as they possibly could. In this age of instant communication, information is everything. By stone-walling and by not informing their dealers of the issue quickly, and by either purposely or through poor training having their representatives giving out misleading and conflicting information, MINIUSA created a lot of ill will with their customers, and there are plenty more customers who are frustrated with this issue who never post here. I just wish MINIUSA had handled the situation better.

I do hope that the fix is near, but I hope you can all appreciate the fact that I remain guarded, and I do not feel any sense of relief, nor will I do so until I hear something CONCRETE from MINIUSA. I was told the fix is coming soon back in May.

My car is at the dealership right now to have the stumble fixed, again. My service advisor said, "We have CD 34, and I don't think your car has that fix, yet, so we'll load that." Swell. As probably everyone knows here, that will have no effect on the issue, but resetting the DME/ECU may give me a few miles of temporary relief. I just smiled and said OK.

My bonnet is being repainted for the second time, so hopefully this time they will get it right and not leave swirl marks, black smudges under the clear coat, and dirt specs and fish eyes in my clearcoat like last time.

It just hasn't been a very good buying experience for me. I wish I could start all over and get a MINI that was showroom new with no performance or cosmetic flaws. I'd be happier than a pig in slop. :smile: I have always maintained that the MINI is a wonderful and fun car, and that I love it when it performs the way it should. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this will soon be behind us, and we'll all have great running MINI's in the very near future.

We should all get together and form a stumblers club. Ever year on the anniversary of the fix, we should all get drunk and stumble around to remember the ordeal we suffered.

With fingers crossed,
JS

Old 09-09-2003, 11:16 AM
vladimir
3rd Gear
I am interested to have stumbled (no pun intended) on this thread…

I have had trouble with the idle of my O3MC since day one. In neutral, the idle fluctuates about 75RPM+/-, and the car vibrates. When I shift intro neutral, for example in heavy rush-hour traffic (every day!), or parking, the idle drops to around 300RPM and the car shakes as though it will stall. Occasionally, the EMS light comes on, and I’ve been near stuck a number of times. Even when it doesn’t, after almost 13K of this I am fed up. Not long ago the car failed on me completely, (no power, couldn’t breach 10MPH)--had it towed, and service installed new wiring harness. But afterwards, the car had lost at least 20-25% of its power. Using the AC left me feeling like I was running without enough compression. Since having it at (back) the dealer, they have told me there is nothing wrong, and that they “cannot duplicate” the vibration or semi-stalling I describe. Not clear to me why, when I can see the tach needle moving with the naked eye, the dealer can’t track fluctuation in the idle with sophisticated equipment… Meanwhile, one BMW supervisor who happened to come on site then told them the car “wasn’t right,” & I again left it overnight for further service. Next day of course, no fix, a “second” BMW supervisor described my car’s performance as “a typical MINI.” I quipped that of course I HAD a typical MINI, you mean I had been driving a car that was inappropriately peppy? Then, I was asked to wait while the software was adjusted again, (5.15PM). Its not clear to me why the service dept. would be changing the computer again, when they had just informed me, that after 2 days of work, they couldn’t identify any problem, come pick up your car etc. Kind of like when you go to the hospital, there is always one technician that can draw blood when all the others can’t find a vein! One last shot??? Of course the car had its power back, but the variation/stumbling has not been resolved.

So far I’ve had it in 4 times, and I must admit, this isn’t what I expected of a new car, and can’t help thinking that it is detrimental to the engine, long term. Not much would make me give up my MINI, but I am pretty fed up and it is spoiling my enjoyment, as well as raising concern about long term damage and perhaps resale value if BMW can’t correct this issue.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:33 AM
jstines
4th Gear
Lies, Lies, D*mn Lies.

Draw your own conclusions as to the integrity and accuracy of the information you receive about the stumble issue from MINIUSA. You probably can guess how I feel.

Until we meet again,
JS

Old 09-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
>>1. Where is the yoyo thread, mob, witch hunt, lawsuit etc ... My 06.03 MCS stumbles, most often only the first time I take off, after that very rarely. The yoyo or peak, valley,peak valley acceleration is very prevelent however and if I had to pick 1 thing to get fixed, yesterday, that would be my pick.

I think most of us that have the stumble find it to be a much more irritating issue, and therefore we fret most about it and tend to leave the less annoying irritants for another fight.

>>2.The car has let me down pulling into traffic twice. Is that the stumble ? I thought the stumble was when the car jerked just prior to fully realeasing the clutch in first, thus making all on-lookers assume you just can't drive a stick. Are these the same problem, or is there a fumble and a stumble ?

This is not the stumble. I think this is most frequently referred to as the Bog. It tends to be more pronounced with DSC on, but it can happen without it on. Do searches for "Bog" and you will probably find info.

>>3. Does everyone who wants the update indeed have to call ask-mini ? Why wouldn't a call to my dealer, since he now has 2 other problems to fix be sufficient.

I would do both so that your bases are covered!

Old 09-09-2003, 11:49 AM
C4
Banned
>>Lies, Lies, D*mn Lies.
>>
>>Draw your own conclusions as to the integrity and accuracy of the information you receive about the stumble issue from MINIUSA. You probably can guess how I feel.
>>
>>Until we meet again,
>>JS
>>

IT IS SO PATHETIC, YOU HAVE TO LAUGH!

Old 09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
justjohn
1st Gear
When is the MINI Motion neck brace go on sale? as I have the stumble and the bog!

Old 09-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Tokio
2nd Gear
Coopers4us
>>
>>IT IS SO PATHETIC, YOU HAVE TO LAUGH!

Talk about flame bait.

I can't wait for you to get your new car

Old 09-09-2003, 12:08 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Maxwell and Everyone,

Maxwell beat me to the punch on disconnecting the battery for a period of time. I have been experimenting with this over the last few weeks and it does work and it does remove the stumble, but only for a little while. For me the stumble is entirely removed for about 3-6 hours, after that you start feeling it again, and eventually it is totally present again. I live in Atlanta, so we are in one of the hotter type climates and it is definitely affected by temperature. It seems for me right now that 80 degrees seems to be a temperature barrier. When the temperature is below 80 degrees outside I can start feeling the stumble lessen (not go away). Above 80 degrees the stumble is quite pronounced. Basically this confirms what has been said before.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:17 PM
C4
Banned
>>Coopers4us
>>>>
>>>>IT IS SO PATHETIC, YOU HAVE TO LAUGH!
>>
>>
>>Talk about flame bait.
>>
>>I can't wait for you to get you new car
>>

Old 09-09-2003, 12:21 PM
forcer78
2nd Gear
Some ASK-MINI customer service representatives roll off the line knowing about the stumble and some don't, there's just no explaining it and hopefully there is a software upgrade that will get all the ASK-MINI people on the same page so they can perform as they are supposed to!!

Old 09-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Genius post forcer!!!

As for the battery disconnect solving my stumble, it's back today, pretty much equal to what it was before. But it was fun while it lasted last night!!!

Old 09-09-2003, 12:39 PM
C4
Banned
When calling MINIUSA, you are just dealing with PR people that have almost or none at all technical background. When I had STUMBLING and ROUGH IDLE problems with my then new '02 Cooper CVT I was lucky enough to speak with A knowledgeable person there, unfortunately he left MINIUSA in early February.

I believe he was instrumental in helping communicating issues between CVT owners and engineers resulting in today's 33.2 code, which has been the best of the bunch for the CVT model.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:55 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
1. Our MINIs are obviously controlled by HAL2000. Apparently, so is MINIUSA. Perhaps if we speak slowly, and limit ourselves to only obvious, logical deductions, we can get somewhere? I think it's worth a try, before HAL2000 ends the mission.

2. My hope... it was nice. It was a good, warm, back-in-the-womb-and-when-I-come-out-everything-will-be-alright feeling. I want it back. I need to call ASK MINI for another phonal lobotamy.

3. I have the stumble, yo yo AND bog... I thought we all did?

4. Before the truth can set you free, it's really quite painful and a bit destabilizing

5. <<<By the way my bloated FX35 motors like a dream. No problems at all in 1000 miles of break-in motoring and I didn't even need a software upgrade>>>

Go ahead, whydontcha? Dangle the carrot!

Now that I've had the hope, it will be hard to go back to living without it. Kind of like the stumble issue in reverse. But I remain potentially hopeful until Christmas, at which time--provided our cars are still hurting--I will storm the castle. Big.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:06 PM
tschelling
Neutral
Well, I had the Mini into one area dealer about 4 weeks ago who installed the latest SW with no affect on the stumble -- surprise, surprise. That dealer informed me that I should perhaps go back to the dealership I originally purchased the automobile from.

Well this was not something I was really excited about as the original dealership had not returned any of the three phone calls I made about the issue shortly after I purchased the car. So I reluctantly decided to try them one more time and after 3 more phone calls, I actually got a hold of a technician who was familiar with the issue and indicated the SW upgrade would fix the issue.

He was surprised when I explained I already had that done with no effect. So, the technician indicated he would need to talk to the reagional technical field rep. I discussed this matter further with the Service Manager who informed me today that he was not aware of any other cars that they have sold reporting this issue. He agreed that the Technical Field rep should drive the car and asked if I could bring it out to the dealership overnight at which time they would not be able to provide a loaner for me to get home. I suggested I just setup an appointment on the day the rep would be in town and I'll just wait to avoid 2, 200 mile roundtrips in two cars. He agreed.

I asked if I could discuss the problem with the Field Sale rep while he was in toen and the Mgr informed that I would not be able to talk directly to the field rep. I explained my frustration with the problem and agreed to bring the car out anyway but I expected them to take some action to try to fix the problem -- he agreed. Seems like my dealership has been provided no information from Mini on the issue. Maybe I should have the Service Mgr. call Ask Mini while I'm there?

For the most part, I'm waiting until the Lemon Law requirements have been satisfied then I'll start arbitration or litigation -- whichever is required in SC.

In the meantime, I sent snail mail to MINI of USA informing them of this and several other issues as required by SC Lemon Law and notified them of my intent to pursue consumer protection if the issue was not corrected. Well, that seemed to create some activity inside Mini and I got a phone call from "ASK Mini." The person I talked to (last week) assured me that "Ask Mini" was there to help me in any way possible and that I should continue to pursue a fix through my dealer. I explained the general frustration with the lack of fix and information and I was informed that engineering was working diligently but there was no timeline for a fix (certainly no mention of testing in Fla.) My conversation sounds like a tape-recording of JStines' phone call.

So, I'm anxiously waiting for my trip to the dealer. So, I can bring the car to a regional field service rep that I can't discuss the problem with in order to demonstrate a well-known, wide-spread issue that my delarship doesn't know anything about in hopes of them correcting the problem with the non-existent fix.

This should be a fun trip -- maybe they'll surprise me.

Todd

Old 09-09-2003, 03:31 PM
jstines
4th Gear
So, I'm anxiously waiting for my trip to the dealer. So, I can bring the car to a regional field service rep that I can't discuss the problem with in order to demonstrate a well-known, wide-spread issue that my dealership doesn't know anything about in hopes of them correcting the problem with the non-existent fix.

This should be a fun trip -- maybe they'll surprise me.
Please keep us posted, Todd. As you know, I'm right behind you. :smile:
I wasn't allowed to communicate directly with the field service rep, either, but this was on an issue with my paint, not the stumble. I really think his position is to rubber stamp or reject service work, not to be a liaison with customers. At least I hope he isn't, because if so, lord help us.

I am interested if MINIUSA does have a liaison for us to work with if problems persist and we need to work our way up the food chain. We go to the dealer and the dealer can't fix it. We can't speak with the field service rep. ASK-MINI tells us to go back to the dealer. How do we break out of the circle? Who is our next line of contact? Anyone know? Does that position exist inside of MINIUSA?

Good luck,
JS

Old 09-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Paul_Ward
1st Gear
>><<<Yes i'm sure the dealer is going to call me tomorrow and this is exactly why i'm not going to buy one right now its sad though.>>>
>>
>>THANKS PAUL!!!!!
>>:D
>>Perhaps if potential customers start bitching, moaning and stopping their purchases, maybe then they'll listen...
>>
>>
>>Re: the powerchip ECU upgrade, since I've heard it mentioned as a potential fix...
>>Why doesn't BMW just buy us all one? I mean, it'd be a fix--definitely not one they'd prefer but you know what, they have a problem to fix and they need to fix it in any way possible.
>>
>>I'll be calling ASK MINI once a day now--perhaps twice on Sundays. And I'm breathing fire at my service guys on Tuesday. I've been sitting in the wings (complaining to the dealer sporadically) for way too long now, knowing there wasn't a fix. NO MORE MS. NICE WOMAN!!!

Well the dealer called me today and I stated "i'm not going to buy now due to the problems with stumbling " they ask me what i was talking about. I explained. Then they admited the problem and said its not a big deal its only when your trying to taking out really fast.

So sad they are selling new cars knowing they could have the problem and they arent telling the new buyers!

Old 09-09-2003, 04:20 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
<<<Then they admited the problem and said its not a big deal its only when your trying to taking out really fast.>>>

Yeah... like anything greater than a 2mph launch.

That's just crooked that they KNOW the problem exists and actually try to downplay it to potential consumers. Consumers who are just going to wind up complaining to their service department. It's ridiculous!

Thanks for stating the problem, though. Like I said, maybe it'll help, ya know?

Old 09-09-2003, 05:10 PM
efcmini
4th Gear
After reading Chitown's "disconnect the positive on the battery" hope today, I couldn't wait to get home to try it. I decided to go with just a 1/2 hour unplug for starters as I am the impatient type. Exactly at 30 minutes I hooked everything back up got in, put the key in the ignition, and waited for all the nice lights to come on. Nothing, no clock, no movement in the tach, got driving, no speedo, no nothing, except the radio. My turn signals, etc all work, but I get no indication of them working on the dash. Went for a spin and stumble still there.

Any suggestions to get my dash working again?

Unfrigginbelievable!

Ken

Old 09-09-2003, 05:13 PM
~sugar~
3rd Gear
>>I am interested to have stumbled (no pun intended) on this thread…
>>
>>I have had trouble with the idle of my O3MC since day one. In neutral, the idle fluctuates about 75RPM+/-, and the car vibrates. When I shift intro neutral, for example in heavy rush-hour traffic (every day!), or parking, the idle drops to around 300RPM and the car shakes as though it will stall. Occasionally, the EMS light comes on, and I’ve been near stuck a number of times. Even when it doesn’t, after almost 13K of this I am fed up. Not long ago the car failed on me completely, (no power, couldn’t breach 10MPH)--had it towed, and service installed new wiring harness. But afterwards, the car had lost at least 20-25% of its power. Using the AC left me feeling like I was running without enough compression. Since having it at (back) the dealer, they have told me there is nothing wrong, and that they “cannot duplicate” the vibration or semi-stalling I describe. Not clear to me why, when I can see the tach needle moving with the naked eye, the dealer can’t track fluctuation in the idle with sophisticated equipment… Meanwhile, one BMW supervisor who happened to come on site then told them the car “wasn’t right,” & I again left it overnight for further service. Next day of course, no fix, a “second” BMW supervisor described my car’s performance as “a typical MINI.” I quipped that of course I HAD a typical MINI, you mean I had been driving a car that was inappropriately peppy? Then, I was asked to wait while the software was adjusted again, (5.15PM). Its not clear to me why the service dept. would be changing the computer again, when they had just informed me, that after 2 days of work, they couldn’t identify any problem, come pick up your car etc. Kind of like when you go to the hospital, there is always one technician that can draw blood when all the others can’t find a vein! One last shot??? Of course the car had its power back, but the variation/stumbling has not been resolved.
>>
>>So far I’ve had it in 4 times, and I must admit, this isn’t what I expected of a new car, and can’t help thinking that it is detrimental to the engine, long term. Not much would make me give up my MINI, but I am pretty fed up and it is spoiling my enjoyment, as well as raising concern about long term damage and perhaps resale value if BMW can’t correct this issue.
>>

Hello vladimir,

The issue you are experiencing with your MC is what BMW is calling an un-stable idle. I have a 2002 MC and I have the un-stable idle, shakes horribly in the heat (over 100 degrees), and now a hesitation when starting. I have pretty much parked my car due to all of these issues, I've almost been in a couple of car accidents when my MINI would stall during a left turn. I have had these problems for about 6 months now, the dealership and even a BMW Field Engineer keep telling me the same thing as the MCS Stumble people - "There is no fix right now, but they are working on one." You are not alone, there is even a poll/thread at http://www.mini2.com (http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39469). Just wanted to fill in a fellow MC owner. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:12 PM
mmanasas
1st Gear
>>When is the MINI Motion neck brace go on sale? as I have the stumble and the bog!

I'm going to need the MINI Motion neck and back brace as I have Stumbles (1 & 2), Yo-Yo and Bog.

Stumble 2 has happened to me only twice, but both within the last 50 miles on my 4000 mile May 03 MCS. I describe stumble 2 as a sudden cutout of the engine when pulling away in 1st gear with clutch fully engaged. I was up to about 10mph and the engine just cut out for a second then came back fine. It was not the bog. I haven't experienced the bog in the last 1000 miles probably.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Lakesands
2nd Gear
I also had to try the battery disconnect once my wife brought the car home. disconnected it for about an hour and the car sat for about 2 hours after being driven home. Not the perfect test of the starting out stumble, but guess what. I had no or at the most only a very slight stumble and after driving around town for about 30 miles I never once noticed to yoyo effect. Very interesting. I am anxoius to drive it again tomorrow when it is really a cold start see what happens.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:33 PM
1marvel
Neutral
I have a Mini Cooper 2002 Model and had the stumble for awhile unitl the dealer crashed my computer. He sent it away to be fixed. When I got the car back, the stumble was completely gone. They did something that worked. ops:

Old 09-09-2003, 06:47 PM
jstines
4th Gear
Well the dealer called me today and I stated "i'm not going to buy now due to the problems with stumbling " they ask me what i was talking about. I explained. Then they admited the problem and said its not a big deal its only when your trying to taking out really fast.

So sad they are selling new cars knowing they could have the problem and they arent telling the new buyers!
Actually, "taking out really fast" will sometimes prevent the stumble. It's most strongly felt when driving normally, especially in stop and go traffic, where it is difficult for one to rev the engine high before each launch from a dead stop.

See ya,
JS

Quick Reply: Stumble