Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MCSa Engine Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCSa Engine Tuning?

I searched for info on this already, but didn't find much. If there a relevant thread already existing, let me know .

I was curious to see what kind of ECU tuning was available for the MCSa? Is there anything out yet that eliminates the automatic upshift? Any general info on this topic would be helpful! Thanks in advance .

Old 02-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Mini Works
5th Gear
I am not sure if there is anything available at this time,
for sure the JCW software is not available for automatics.

we have done a few 15% pulled with intakes and exhausts on MCSa all without software, so far no problems

Victor

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 PM
ej
3rd Gear
MCS auto ECU upgrade

There's not much out there for the auto; most are for the manual which I've been told would work for the auto as well.
I've been working with a tuner on upgrading the ECU. Wow, what a difference compared to the stock map! So far the shift points in both full auto and sports mode (SD) have been increased. In SD, the shift point was increased to about 5600rpm. The tuner has finally located the map for the rev limiter and is working on pushing that up past the 6800 point (this will help when in the manual mode since it automatically upshifts at 6800). Will have to put the car on the dyno to see what the before and after software upgrade differences are. After this, he'll probably start to market and sell the product. More to come.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ej
There's not much out there for the auto; most are for the manual which I've been told would work for the auto as well.
I've been working with a tuner on upgrading the ECU. Wow, what a difference compared to the stock map! So far the shift points in both full auto and sports mode (SD) have been increased. In SD, the shift point was increased to about 5600rpm. The tuner has finally located the map for the rev limiter and is working on pushing that up past the 6800 point (this will help when in the manual mode since it automatically upshifts at 6800). Will have to put the car on the dyno to see what the before and after software upgrade differences are. After this, he'll probably start to market and sell the product. More to come.

That's good to hear! Please keep us posted. It would be nice if he could also figure out how to fully eliminate the automatic upshift!

I see that you have a fair amount of modifications on your MCSa. Have you had any issues?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
ej
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
That's good to hear! Please keep us posted. It would be nice if he could also figure out how to fully eliminate the automatic upshift!

I see that you have a fair amount of modifications on your MCSa. Have you had any issues?
No problems so far (hope it stays that way). Next up will be upgrading the suspension with FSDs and fixed camber plates.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ej
I am interested in how this ECU tune turns out as well. I have a 17% pulley and CAI right now. I'd like to add the Invidia exhaust at some point also.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
MTH tunes automatics and yes, the shift points are raised. A 15% pulley is also recommended. The other option is finding a tuner versed in Dimsport but in Texas I doubt you'll find anyone.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
I searched for info on this already, but didn't find much. If there a relevant thread already existing, let me know .

I was curious to see what kind of ECU tuning was available for the MCSa? Is there anything out yet that eliminates the automatic upshift? Any general info on this topic would be helpful! Thanks in advance .
Presuming you have not made any mods to your car, why are you looking at ECU mods as your first effort? Are you truly happy with the car as is and just want to raise the shift points?

Personally, I would go for a s/c reduction pulley as the first mod. The power gain for the $ spent is the best cost-benefit available for the MINI. Whether to go 15%, 17% or higher is a personal decision. I went with the 17% and haven't regretted it.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
He might just be thinking about the future like I am. I have an intake but plan on doing many modifications to mine by the end of summer. With the addition of these new mods I am also thinking about what can be done with the software.

Mine has been sluggish as of late when it isn't driven for a long while.

I tend not to use manual mode but do use the Sport Mode quite often. I'd love to see an ECU map to make that Mode better.