Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

If you want to know if DSC is a good idea... Let's look at some data!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:28 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
it's progressive, first trying to improve things by using single wheel braking to get weight transfer to help. If that's not enough, then the system cuts power. I think it does this quickly by retarding timing, and if it really has to hammer the system, then it moves the throttle body.

It's really a bummer that all we really have to go by is some superficial technical descriptions and marketing liturature. It would be nice to know actually what the current systems are doing and what compramises are built into them in the name of simplicity and cost savings. It would be a book for sure, but it would be interesting.

Matt
The systems pretty much work as described. I have asc and always turn it off. I recently worked on a cooper cvt with dsc and was given permission from the owner to see how it compared to my worked over mcs on my favorite back road. This car is bone stock with 175's on it. I was very suprised when I could drive 80% of what I do in my car without any stress. Just mash the gas, steer and watch the dsc light show. Except for the light flickering, it was seamless. I was very impressed and would order it on my next car.

One other feature that I think saves people, even more than dsc, is corner braking control. This system will let you get away with extream braking into corners.

The M dynamic mode in the m5 is even more fun. Anyone that's experienced "launch mode" can tell you that there is plenty of processing power to use ist's sensor inputs for good (or evil)

Old 01-16-2007, 10:02 AM
2005MCS/KK
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today after driving on some roads, it reminds me this post lol. There are so many impatient drivers on street which could lead you into an accident; people hold cell phone and talk while driving, eat, talk to the passenger but without looking the front, cut 3 lanes without turn on the signal light, never look at the blind angle while cut lanes or turn... Those things almost happen everyday in here (Montreal, but I believe it happens in many other countries too). So I guess the safety devices that we get are mostly for street driving by prevent those dumb and impatient drivers or incidents, and of course these problem will not happen in race track.

And a long while back ago, I remember F1 had an argue about to have or not to have the traction control... Like A.Senna was complained about M.Schmacher raced with the traction control that gave him a good advantage. So I think, a well program traction control will actually help driving? Like our DSC with MTH mod, it works just perfect to me compare to when it was stock.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:59 AM
rjmann
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005MCS/KK
So I think, a well program traction control will actually help driving? Like our DSC with MTH mod, it works just perfect to me compare to when it was stock.
I think this is an interesting question. Some of what happens on a race track is certainly comparable to the street, but OTOH, one never expects F1 cars to operate in snow, and if its raining too heavily the race gets red flagged. Racing is done on relatively ideal surfaces in relatively ideal circumstances. Given those more limited operating ranges and bearing in mind we talking about mitigating 850HP+ in low speed situations, while analogous, its not clear to me that its as applicable or vital when controlling 168HP.

On the MTH thing, I've so far sucessfully resisted making any mods to my MCS, and I suspect the car shall remain completely stock with the exception of a rear bar at some point. If you guys are saying the system presumably the ASC-T piece, is far less intrusive and behaves better, thats . OTOH, IIRC the cost of the MTH, it just raised the cost of the electronic control to around 5% of the base cars cost! Might be worth it for some, and obviously one gets more than improved TC, but as a pure TC solution, it seems relatively expensive to me. To each his own.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My DSC was way to intrusive at stock and because of it I was stranded in front of oncoming traffic. I actually turned it off and left it off.

However, now with MTH installed, it behaves much better. Now it just stays on and actually works. I hit a small patch of ice here in Germany and it shut the car down. Before, I would have never made it to work as I would always be in limp mode.