Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Code 1477.... who knows why? calling Dr. O and friends

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 04:59 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code 1477.... who knows why? calling Dr. O and friends

a pesky little code about aux emissions but why is this coming up and what do I need to do to "fix" this?

all help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Bob

Old 10-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm waiting for a call back, Bob.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:37 AM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
Just in case:

From Bentley Manual:

P1477-Leakage Diagnostic Pump Reed Switch Did Not Open

Don't ask me what that means...

Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
P1477-Leakage Diagnostic Pump Reed Switch Did Not Open

Don't ask me what that means...
I'm pretty sure that means that the playing or clarinets, saxaphones or other wind instruments is prevented by this switching mechanism.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
I'm pretty sure that means that the playing or clarinets, saxaphones or other wind instruments is prevented by this switching mechanism.

back to the dealer, "the Mini ECU is like the "Woper" from "War Games"...... where is Matthew Broderick when you need him."

Old 10-26-2006, 01:53 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
back to the dealer, "the Mini ECU is like the "Woper" from "War Games"...... where is Matthew Broderick when you need him."
That is my quote.....and it is true.... had a long talk with Don from Precision today about that....

Old 10-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it means...

that something in the gas tank vacuum pump system is screwed up. But I don't know much about this system, other than in works for me! Anyway, sorry for not being much help....

Matt

Old 10-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norm03s
I hope that doesn't mean he has to whizz on a spark plug....

Rawhyde

Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
rgonzalezvh
Neutral
so, how did you fix it..? I have the same Fault code on my 2006 MCS Convertible

thanks

Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Bob; I think I had a 1477 pop up once. It seemed to be a fluke code, as once I checked everything I could and then deleted the code, it never came back. I may be confusing myself with a random evap emissions code though! *head spins*

Old 02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
rgonzalezvh
Neutral
code P1477

I've erased it several times but keeps poping !, after a couple runs it shows up again in the morning. The car is running smoothly, no apparent problems with it.

It is just that there is no mini shop in 2000 miles (costa Rica) and would like to have a clean bill of health on he car. If it needs repair, I rather know what to buy before starting to dismantle the car guessing what is wrong, particularly wen apparently is running smoothly.

thanks for any thoughts on this.

regards

Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
The reed valve is in the emmissions vacuum pump...

it's just that I've never really worked on this system, and I don't know if the code is pointing directly to the culprit, or is a symptom of something else. Sorry. If someone who had this corrected by Mini AND got descriptions of what was done, that would be very helpfull.

Maybe try calling Mini and asking? There is a SMALL chance that they'd support your efforts!

Matt

Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Methman
3rd Gear
I had a check engine light come up on my work vehicle, a Ford Taurus, and after the mechanics checked it they told me it was because my gas cap wasn't on all the way... Have you checked the gas cap? Can you believe that??? Just think if you wasted your time taking it to the dealer to have them tell you it was your gas cap not being on all of the way...

Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It seems stupid....

but the system is responsible for a large reduction in unburnt hydrocarbon emmissions.

The system uses a pump to evacuate the fuel system, and looks to see if the system seals. Needless to say, having the gas cap off results in an unsealed system! Also, if the system doesn't seal, it defeats the vapor recovery system in the car.

So, it a "health of the planet" code, not a "your gonna loose that drag race code". And FWIW, put the cap on, and in a few "driving cycles" it will clear itself.

Matt

Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 AM
72guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rgonzalezvh
I've erased it several times but keeps poping !, after a couple runs it shows up again in the morning. The car is running smoothly, no apparent problems with it.

It is just that there is no mini shop in 2000 miles (costa Rica) and would like to have a clean bill of health on he car. If it needs repair, I rather know what to buy before starting to dismantle the car guessing what is wrong, particularly wen apparently is running smoothly.

thanks for any thoughts on this.

regards
Per the Bentley Manual pg 160/16-17:
The LDP is the fuel tank leakage diagnosis pump.It's located, along with the charcoal canister assembly, behind the right rear wheel housing liner.
If you want to remove it, get a screwdriver.
If you want to loosen a stuck reed switch, get a hammer.
Sorry, the manual doesn't go into rebuilding the pump assembly. But there is a nice picture of the evaporative control system on pg 160-3. Personally, I think the reed valve got gummed up with fuel vapors and it needs a good whackin' with a hammer. Try the handle of a screwdriver first and report back. Let us know the price on a LDP.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 PM
jgf
2nd Gear
cel

477 is exhaust pressure control valve circuit low input. I would ask dealer via phone what this actually does and if it affect's sensor#1, the one that is imp. for air fuel mixture etc. If the code contin. to come up it prob. is not going away by repeatedly using car. There are many independant auto shop's that specialize in cat and ecu problem's as these are becoming more common place. Recently had electronic resistor installed on my mod. S to eliminate Cel 9026 that has dogged me for yr's and was becoming daily prob. Went to one of those shop's @ dealer said could not fix it. Once I knew were it was coming from was a simple fix with electronic resistor from o2sim@o2simulator.com If you e-mail them provide make/model,yr and error code. You may attempt alt. error code reset by disconnecting the battery neg ground for three min. Hope this help's . Good luck.
JGF

Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
72guy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jgf
477 is exhaust pressure control valve circuit low input. I would ask dealer via phone what this actually does and if it affect's sensor#1, the one that is imp. for air fuel mixture etc. If the code contin. to come up it prob. is not going away by repeatedly using car. There are many independant auto shop's that specialize in cat and ecu problem's as these are becoming more common place. Recently had electronic resistor installed on my mod. S to eliminate Cel 9026 that has dogged me for yr's and was becoming daily prob. Went to one of those shop's @ dealer said could not fix it. Once I knew were it was coming from was a simple fix with electronic resistor from o2sim@o2simulator.com If you e-mail them provide make/model,yr and error code. You may attempt alt. error code reset by disconnecting the battery neg ground for three min. Hope this help's . Good luck.
JGF

JGF

By the way. I don't see a listing for 477?
Disregard. I see it's an OBD2 code.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 AM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
The leak diagnostic pump and charcoal canister have been known to cause issues, usually a recurring P0456 code. Have you observed that as well?

Originally Posted by 72guy
Per the Bentley Manual pg 160/16-17:
The LDP is the fuel tank leakage diagnosis pump.It's located, along with the charcoal canister assembly, behind the right rear wheel housing liner.
If you want to remove it, get a screwdriver.
If you want to loosen a stuck reed switch, get a hammer.
Sorry, the manual doesn't go into rebuilding the pump assembly. But there is a nice picture of the evaporative control system on pg 160-3. Personally, I think the reed valve got gummed up with fuel vapors and it needs a good whackin' with a hammer. Try the handle of a screwdriver first and report back. Let us know the price on a LDP.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 PM
fullcollapse40
3rd Gear
check the lines, from the LDP (behind the right rear fender liner) all the way up to the intake. sometimes the lines chafe or get crushed. But with that said I have found replacing the Tank Leak Diagnostic Pump, fixes the problem 9 times out of 10.

also, I'm not sure about in costa rica, but in the US there was a tank leak daignostic recall, on the earlier cars up to '03 or '04 maybe. For the recall the DME had to be reprogrammed and a sticker was placed somewhere under the hood that said "tank leak diagnostic recall # and has a place to fill in the dealer #"

Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
rgonzalezvh
Neutral
OBDD2 P1477

Thanks for all your responses, will carefully try to follow all of them in a manner that makes sense to troubleshoot.

I only get a P1477, never got any other code

Will check the lines

will have a look at the pump (will try screwdrive first, hammer later !)

will clar and unplug the Battery circuit and see what happens

there's no mini dealer in Costa Rica, was bought in the USA brand new and exported to CR

Already called Mini Dealer in Miami, and the slight chance they might help didn't happen, I guess they want th car in for service, not listening is almost 2,000 miles away, but what would you know...

I'll get back to all when I manage to test all this hints.

thanks

Old 03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
spirit16
2nd Gear
Just had my P1477 code serviced.

Yesterday, my 04MCS displayed the Service Engine Soon light on my way home from work. Once home with my OBD-II scanner, I found the P1477 error code. I cleared the codes several times, but each time the code returned within the hour. This morning, I took my car to Mini Of Sterling, where they pinpointed the problem to the Leak Diagnosis Pump (part#16136801158). Service advisor commented that it is an emissions part. My car is back home and I am a happy camper that the light is out.
I wanted to look further into this and found this link to identify the part:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=16&fg=10&hl=3

RGONZALEZVH - please note that the part listed in the link is for models up to 7/04. Mine is a 3/04 build. Hope this helps. Good luck in your pursuit to resolve your problem...

--------
04 MCS EB/W - JCW intake, Milltek cat-back, Alta 15%SC pulley, M7 2%CP, Denso, H-sport rear sway, JCW injectors.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
TerryK
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I kept clearing mine, didn't want to buy a new pump and have it not be the solution. Finally took a look at it and got lucky:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...50-post10.html