Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shock tower mushrooming

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Darxar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have upper strut assembly cracks, pretty big on the passenger side only, however no mushrooming, so... my options, is this a part i can buy and replace my self or do i need to have it done by someone else? Im getting M7's strut tower brace to keep any mushrooms from happening, but the crack looks pretty bad, .. its the rubber part correct.

can anyone help me with options?

Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Darxar
4th Gear
anyone know how hard this is to order the part and replace a cracked mount. is it a large job?

Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Ordering the part is simple enough. You can just call up your local parts department or classic MINI (mention NAM and you get a discount) to order the top strut mount.

As for installation if you have air tools it's fairly straight forward, if not, then I'd probably just take it to a local independent and have them do it.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Darxar
4th Gear
would it be smarter to just get camber plates, and then i can use the M7 strut brack to keep the mushrooming from happening? and what exactly would the part number be for what im looking to replace? or if i get camber plates, is that just better?

Last edited by Darxar; 07-07-2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-07-2006, 09:57 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
I have the Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates, which use a rubber bushing similar to stock. Will this be any improvement over stock, as it relates to durability? I am afraid to add the M7 SRP/STB if it's only going to transfer all the loads to the strut mount.

Matt

Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matma92ser
I have the Ireland Engineering fixed camber plates, which use a rubber bushing similar to stock. Will this be any improvement over stock, as it relates to durability? I am afraid to add the M7 SRP/STB if it's only going to transfer all the loads to the strut mount.

Matt
Dear Matt.....

If you look back to the testing (computational and mechanical ) you would find that your
fears are just that. We have sold close to 350 STB's and almost as many
pairs of SRP's..........Zero broken parts......Zero Mushrooming so this
worry that the stress is breaking other parts are un-founded period.

peter
Team M7

Last edited by M7; 07-07-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Dear Matt.....

If you look back to the testing (computational and mechanical ) you would find that your
fears are just that. We have sold close to 350 STB's and almost as many
pairs of SRP's..........Zero broken parts......Zero Mushrooming so this
worry that the stress is breaking other parts are un-founded period.

peter
Team M7
Only time and miles will tell.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Originally Posted by M7
Zero Mushrooming so this worry that the stress is breaking other parts are un-founded period.
Peter: The tech paper (nicely done btw) focuses on the mushrooming, not the cracking of the upper strut mounts.
  • Are you saying the SRP's also helps prevent the cracking of the upper strut mounts?
  • Or are you just saying the SRP's are no worse than stock (no reinforcement) in terms of the effects on the upper strut tower mount cracking?
Just to be 100% clear: The SRP's and STB both seem like very good ways to me to address the mushrooming.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
If one is thinking about camber plates, the new H-Sport plates should be out very soon. The design is very nice and substantially better than the original H-Sport plates. I was told that the price point would be very attractive . I know these new camber plates have been used with PSS9's, with very favorable results . You might check with H-Sport for the exact release date...

Old 07-08-2006, 01:05 AM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Stock with mushrooming? U must be 4 wheeling or on some bad roads. I track....run roads hard...with my PSS9s and have no problems.....but am getting M7 STB just for insurance.

Originally Posted by forestcrump
My left shock tower is visibily different from the right. I assume that I have bent the shock tower. I ordered the reinforcement plates from M7. I understand that I have to beat the tower back into place with a 2X4 then install the plates, torqueing the nuts to 25 lbs.

I only have 6000 miles on Fenni, is this a warrenty item?
Are both of the shock towers idenitical in shape?
Any other words of wisdom?

All help will be much appreciated.

Forest Crump

Old 07-08-2006, 07:35 AM
forestcrump
1st Gear
In Louisiana we can't afford to fix the potholes after this whole Katrina mess. Thank ya'll for all of the input. I will be bringing the car to the dealership to see their what their attitude will be. They are short handed these days since they are now the only dealer in Louisiana these days.

My only other concern is the repair method the dealer would use, Since the shock tower is part of the frame. Will they use the 2X4 method also or is there another way to replace the tower?

Forest

Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 AM
FUEGO
4th Gear
BTW - as of this morning, M7 is currently out of stock on the SRPs, but said they should have more in this week.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Can someone post more pics or tell me what to look for when checking on the mushroom effect? I just took a look at my towers and I couldn't tell whether there is distortion or not. I know that Dave posted a pic, but is that the extreme? Should the "flat" part of the tower be literally flat to a straight edge? When I first got my 04 MCS, I ran over a piece of pothole iron that bent two rims, and reading this thread has gotten me paranoid. I'd been looking at the M7 SRP, but if my towers are already mushroomed, it seems like it is too late for preventative measures...

Old 07-12-2006, 08:36 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Old 07-12-2006, 09:18 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
bending back the deformed towers will mean that it will take a little higher force to start the next deformation, but once you start the next deformation, it will be worse / closer to failure.

if you are planning to reinforce it (from underneath is much, much better than from on top) after you bend it back , then this isn't as much of a concern.

if you aren't going to reinforce via something commercially available, you could just leave the deformed shape and bond in or weld in a plate or large washer underneath the deformation.

if it's a stock car, i can see whining to mini to fix it, but if you've got custom springs or shocks, i can see them refusing to fix it.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Thanks for the additional pics. Just looked at the M7 tech paper as well. The bulge really is apparent in the comparison photos now that I'm looking at them.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 AM
thebill
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dave
Personally, if I were under warranty I would do one of two things
  • nothing - leave the suspension stock and not install any bracing. That way if your strut towers mushroom they get fixed under warranty and if you strut mounts crack there isn't any additional reinforcement to be blamed.
but aren't people having trouble with MINI in regards to getting the problem rectified?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thebill
but aren't people having trouble with MINI in regards to getting the problem rectified?
Policy seems to vary by Dealer. I'd say the odds work in your favor IF the suspension system failure occured even though there is NO tire or wheel damage. Tire and/or wheel damage is a great excuse for the dealer to put the liability back on you - i.e. "negligent driving", "careless use", "incidental damage", etc.

Went through this recently myself. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=73526

Old 07-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Deviant
5th Gear
After concidering all the factors (including the transmission of increased forces to other areas I'd personally rather get the M7 Bar (which I can remove before going to a dealership) and risk cracking a replaceable part than try and beat a part of the cars structure back into shape.

Question: I though camber plates mounted on top of the strut towers. How would they reinforce the towers from underneath? Or is the Mini a unique design that has them on the underside?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
ekibobrut1
1st Gear
after reading this thread, I checked my struts. No mushrooming, but 1 strut mount obviously cracked. (40,000 miles ) Stopped by dealer--MA said he hadn't heard of a problem. He checked w/mechanic who knew all about it. Made an appt and took car in. Both mounts replaced under warranty-no questions asked .
I got my MINI as a lease "take-over". This was my 2nd "no questions asked" warranty service. A pat on the back for New Country Mini in Hartford, CT!

Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ekibobrut1
after reading this thread, I checked my struts. No mushrooming, but 1 strut mount obviously cracked. (40,000 miles ) Stopped by dealer--MA said he hadn't heard of a problem. He checked w/mechanic who knew all about it. Made an appt and took car in. Both mounts replaced under warranty-no questions asked .
I got my MINI as a lease "take-over". This was my 2nd "no questions asked" warranty service. A pat on the back for New Country Mini in Hartford, CT!
It is a bit curious how the SA was not aware of the issue.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 PM
ekibobrut1
1st Gear
[quote=caminifan]It is a bit curious how the SA was not aware of the issue.[/Yes, I thought so, too.]

Old 07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
[QUOTE=ekibobrut1]
Originally Posted by caminifan
It is a bit curious how the SA was not aware of the issue.[/Yes, I thought so, too.]
He said MA.....not SA......or did he edit........Les

Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys, I just bought my 2005 Cooper S used yesterday, and the right side is mushroomed. I called Brian Harris today, and they said they will not fix it under warranty because it's quote "not a factory defect" and "it's not common". Any suggestions. I don't want to pound this out. Should I try another dealer? I already wrote BMW on this because it's ridiculous for a car that costs this much to have this happen. The car only has 17,587 miles on it.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
thë_cöpi
2nd Gear
See this thread for non-violent mushroom repair. My experience can be found here.

Quick Reply: Shock tower mushrooming