Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shock tower mushrooming

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:55 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
el jefe had written in another thread:

<< Has anyone SINCE getting the struts fixed/replaced stopped mushrooming with the m7 plates?

Has anyone tossed the plates on pre emptively and still has no mushrooming?

I see people's plans for the m7, but no after comments about how well they work. >>

And then this, by Peter, in this thread:

Originally Posted by M7
Dear Matt.....

If you look back to the testing (computational and mechanical ) you would find that your
fears are just that. We have sold close to 350 STB's and almost as many
pairs of SRP's..........Zero broken parts......Zero Mushrooming so this
worry that the stress is breaking other parts are un-founded period.

peter
Team M7
There is really no way to tell whether the plates are going to do any good. It's all anecdotal. For instance, my next door neighbor has had his '05 MINI just about the same amount of time I've had mine, actually 2 weeks longer, and he has no mushrooming whereas I do, and neither of us has the plates. That means that there are other factors, external to the poor design of the front end, that may or may not cause mushrooming, and it is on a case by case basis. It also means that even though there are no _reported_ cases of mushrooming after the plates are installed, that they don't exist or will not occur in the future.

I am certainly hoping that the m7 plates do their job. I have a set on their way to me right now.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:04 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Hm yes anecdotal. However, if there is NO mushrooming with say 100 people who have plates on, that would mean that it works.

I have to get it in writing that using the plates will not void warranty then it seems.

I could totally see how a camber plate which is from underneath would completely void a warranty. I think it should actually in a moral/justice sort of sense. However, more metal adhered to the top of a flat piece of nothing as SRP will do, shouldnt at all void warranty.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
Hm yes anecdotal. However, if there is NO mushrooming with say 100 people who have plates on, that would mean that it works.

I have to get it in writing that using the plates will not void warranty then it seems. [Emphasis added.]

I could totally see how a camber plate which is from underneath would completely void a warranty. I think it should actually in a moral/justice sort of sense. However, more metal adhered to the top of a flat piece of nothing as SRP will do, shouldnt at all void warranty.
That would be the prudent approach (along the lines of an ounce of prevention avoiding a pound of cure). Be sure to get the statement that the plates will not void the warranty in writing.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:47 AM
T0810
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thë_cöpi
I have an '04 with stock front suspension. I have a stiffer sway bar in the rear, but believe my strut towers were mushroomed prior to putting the bar on. I also believe it occurred while still on the runflats.
Me too. '04 MCS completely stock suspension. I bought mine used with 25Kmiles. Turned out the right strut tower was visibly mushroomed and the left tower was slightly mushroomed. Although note: I didn't realize this about the left side until we had fixed the right side and tried to put the M7 brace on- and the left tower wasn't flat. The plate for the brace wobbled around, so we had to replace the strut cap (didn't see any cracks, and it didn't look bent, but just to be on the safe side) and pound the left side down too. So you may have slight mushrooming and not realize it.

My dealer said no way would they cover mushrooming under warranty. I know it varies by dealer. Anyway, mine said it was a common problem in MINI and BMW and blamed it on "normal wear and tear" due to road wear. I still think that sound ridiculous, but whatever!!!! It was really expensive quote for repair, something like $800 for just one side, and they were going to use the 2x4 method too. So a friend of mine helped me and we did it ourselves. We took pics of each step, I've been meaning to post them since this has been such an issue for so many MCS owners, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I did make a little slide show, pm me and I can send you a link or email you a sheet of pictures I put together.

I chose the m7 brace because I figured after pounding the metal back it definitely needed reinforcement to prevent it from happening again. I was going to go with the SRPs but figured for a little bit more $ I could get the benefit of a brace too. (but not as much $ as camber plates) I'm very happy with the brace.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 AM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
DID IT prevent it from happening again? How long has it been since you installed the m7 parts?

scientific minds want to know

Old 09-09-2006, 12:50 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
The bottom of the m7 brace is shaped to conform to the bends in the metal in the top if the shock tower, so it looks like it's the best candidate to do the job properly.

If it comes down to something getting damaged, I'd rather it be the shock mount under the unit-body framework of the shock tower. That's easier to replace than the shock tower, and I am not crazy about banging it back into shape, and doubly more concerned about doing it more than once.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
The bottom of the m7 brace is shaped to conform to the bends in the metal in the top if the shock tower, so it looks like it's the best candidate to do the job properly.

If it comes down to something getting damaged, I'd rather it be the shock mount under the unit-body framework of the shock tower. That's easier to replace than the shock tower, and I am not crazy about banging it back into shape, and doubly more concerned about doing it more than once.
The more I think about it, a camber plate seems like the best way to go. You have a wide (and relatively thick in comparison to the sheetmetal thickness) plate that is absorbing the impact force below(/before) the sheetmetal (as opposed to above the sheetmetal) and you have the ability to adjust camber (for even better handling)....

Old 09-10-2006, 06:47 PM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a 2006 with almost 19k, after the MTTS Tour. I've got the M7 springs, almost a 3 1/2 inch drop, with the M7 strut bar. I installed the springs with 800 miles on the car, and the strut bar the day I left the dealer. I have no mushrooming effects on mine, and I travel to the city of chicago very often - sucky roads!!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
awesome. I bet people call where you live Dubbage County. That's hot in a lame sort of way.

Thank you for the evidence. Yes, Chicago has a lot of crappy roads like NY does. 18k and the plates stopped mushrooming. It would be really close to impossible for you, out of all people on here, to NOT get mushrooming, yet, you do not.

Makes me happy I ordered them yesterday

Old 09-10-2006, 10:00 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
. delete me double hit .

Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Question is - how many have had the mushroom repaired under warranty????

Talked to my dealer, and they said absolutely not warranty covered (and I used to think these guys did everything for the customer). Claim it's road hazard damage, strage that the wheels are pristine and the towers bend...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:02 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Wookie
Question is - how many have had the mushroom repaired under warranty????

Talked to my dealer, and they said absolutely not warranty covered (and I used to think these guys did everything for the customer). Claim it's road hazard damage, strage that the wheels are pristine and the towers bend...
That would be a nice question to pose to them. Unfortunately, it would require litigation to force the issue.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
My dealer told me to make an insurance claim and just have them cut me a check for the $1600 repair bill (minus whatever deductible). Maybe we should all make claims through insurance and let them pressure MINI on the issue.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:45 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SRICHS
I've got a 2006 with almost 19k, after the MTTS Tour. I've got the M7 springs, almost a 3 1/2 inch drop, with the M7 strut bar. I installed the springs with 800 miles on the car, and the strut bar the day I left the dealer. I have no mushrooming effects on mine, and I travel to the city of chicago very often - sucky roads!!
You might be a good target to ask the Q, do you have any cracked strut mount since you strenghten your towers since day one?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SRICHS
I've got the M7 springs, almost a 3 1/2 inch drop, with the M7 strut bar. I installed
3 1/2" drop, please call me and let me know your secret to this amazing drop in ride height

With that said, the nature of the M7 springs are that they have a softer initial
impact characteristics, that will possibly prevent or at least lessen the mushroom issues.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Wookie
4th Gear
Not to rehash an old thread, but I came across this one, and find it funny that a year later (almost) and MINI is still singing the same tune:

Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
I'm thinking the dealers and MINI cannot hide behind the "pot hole defense" much longer. There are plenty of pot holes in this country and if your car cannot survive one w/o throwing the front end out of whack and becoming potentially dangerous to drive why bother putting them on the road to begin with?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:14 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
There are at least 3 threads that talk to the issue of strut tower mushrooming and/or strut mount failure. Perhaps they could be merged????

Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
3 1/2" drop, please call me and let me know your secret to this amazing drop in ride height

With that said, the nature of the M7 springs are that they have a softer initial
impact characteristics
, [Emphasis added.] that will possibly prevent or at least lessen the mushroom issues.
Presumably Peter is referring to progressive spring rate. Unfortunately, the poll that is being maintained in the following thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=78629

seems to show that lowering springs tend to contribute to failure of the strut mount and/or strut tower mushrooming. If someone is considering the purchase of lowering springs (or 17 inch or larger wheels, or runflat tires), you should strongly consider some sort of reinforcement of the strut tower sheetmetal.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Media coverage

You guys know what we need, media coverage. Let me tell you a story (sounds like an old man). I am from the AcuraWorld forum with a 2nd gen TL (99-03). Honda has always hard sell their products to be reliable. It turns out there's major design flaw on the transmission (made in Japan), that the third clutch pack can destory itself due to lack of lubrication. There were cases that owners have gone through mulitple transmissions. No recall or extended warranty of any kind from Honda.

Many of the owners vented their anger and concern, some are ditching their rides. It got so bad that it finally got media attention. There was recall afterwards. All affected models receive extended warranty on the transmission to 7yr/100K and offered a recall to install an oil jet to cool just the third clutch pack. By the way, it affected Odyssey, MDX, TL and CL.

If any of the MINI owners have connection with any major US media circulation, please try to talk someone to do a story on this. Afterall, sale figures talk! Right now, the MINIs are selling like there's no tomorrow, BMW don't give a damn about any one of us. When buyers are staying away from it, they need to do damage control and possibly invest in a solution to these suspension problems.

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/sho...ight=usa+today

The first link in this post gives you the USA Today excerpt

Old 09-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just talked to my dealer (Niello) and adding the strut brace will not affect my warranty. Going to order an M7 as soon as I clear a little credit card space.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:11 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Even aftermarket part? If ture, that dealer must have good relationship with both customers and BMW/USA.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:42 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Media coverage would be nice, at least a report filed with the NTSB or whichever agency regulates that stuff.

If you look around, it's really a BMW wide issue, M3s and Z8s are worse than our MINIs. Saw one post where the Z8 owners were looking to have a class action suit put out, not sure if that ever happened.

Sadly, until this gets airplay it will go unknown. And all we can do is keep beating our towers with 2x4s and hammers.. And dealers will always be able to blame the driver for hitting potholes...

Old 09-15-2006, 04:28 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
I won't accept the fact that we are the one who have to fight the dealer whether that's covered by warranty. If one was using the car for racing events, that's different story; or if an object hit the suspension hard enough to destory other components, that might be act of God.

If BMW cannot make a car with front strut design that's strong enough to handle potholes (not crater I'm talking about), they might as well change their design to upper/lower control arm (double wishbone) which offset some of the impact to other area of the tower.

Offering a fix when the problem happens model after model, and generation after generation is BS. Not to mention the factory reinforcement plate are not free, such as for the M3. And for the MINI, they are just leaving us to fight either the dealer or the insurance company for paying for the damage without offering any factory part to resolve the problem.

I am quite disappointed with my first BMW (cheaper version) experience. My strut guide has a slit (crack) already in less than 2000 miles. I used to have a beat up 91 CRX with worn stiff suspension, and tower deformation was never an issue, driving in fairly poor road condition in my region.

BMW, please deal with the problem and offer all of us a fix if you are reading.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
SRICHS
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M7

impact characteristics, that will possibly prevent or at least lessen the mushroom issues.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123
Hey Peter. Met you out in Nashville with the crew from custom mini shop. I got the HB/W coupe. If you want I can send you a couple of pictures, sitting next to a stock S. The rear wheels stick inside the fenderwells almost 1 inch. I'm using the M7 springs on 700 mile struts! [ all modifications were done with about 700 - 1000 miles on the car!!] Thank God for the strut bar - what a lifesaver!!

Old 09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
I put the M7 SRP on my GP yesterday (after we first massaged the mushrooming back into shape). The SRP's fit fine on the GP, too. Time will tell, I hope it helps!

Quick Reply: Shock tower mushrooming