Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shock tower mushrooming

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:12 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the strut mount also deform when the towers mushroom? I've already changed 2 of my strut mounts but I didn't repair the mushroomed tower. I'm going to repair the tower now using Ricky's method, the question is; if I have to change out the uncracked strut mounts as well after the repair.

John

Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 AM
ricky
2nd Gear
If its bent I would. I thought about trying to flatten the three ears of the support too. Naa. Just put a new one in.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:04 AM
forestcrump
1st Gear
I finally got around to the dealer to see what the verdict would be on repairing the shock towers. They said that it is commen in Minis and that they would fix it using the same wood and hammer technique that has been discussed here. I also asked them to do an alignment. Is there anything else that should be done to get Fenni in tip top shape after the beating form the mechanic? I also am very pleased with the M7 reinforcement plates, they seem perfectly milled and polished. Can't wait till they are installed
Forest

Old 07-27-2006, 11:13 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Out of curiousity (and since there appears to be an improved part available), is the mushrooming limited to say, pre-'05 cars? Also, how many with stock springs (I am trying to see if there is any relationship between mushrooming and aftermarket springs) are experiencing mushrooming?

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
thë_cöpi
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
Out of curiousity (and since there appears to be an improved part available), is the mushrooming limited to say, pre-'05 cars? Also, how many with stock springs (I am trying to see if there is any relationship between mushrooming and aftermarket springs) are experiencing mushrooming?
I have an '04 with stock front suspension. I have a stiffer sway bar in the rear, but believe my strut towers were mushroomed prior to putting the bar on. I also believe it occurred while still on the runflats.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Mushrooming towers.

Some folks have complained about getting mushroomed strut towers. The roads around here are not that bad so I was wondering if anyone in our area has had this problem?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Paul!
6th Gear
Erm, meaning no offense, but what part of Maryland do you live in?!

I'm in Alexandria, VA, and had to spend some quality time on the beltway and 295 fairly often. Between the frost heaves (have they been fixed yet by the Woodrow Wilson Bridge?!) and the potholes I could practically park my MINI in, I'm surprised that I haven't cracked a wheel yet! (In fact, now that I think of it, I know two that have!)

In any case though, to answer your question, I have minor mushrooming on the passenger side. No cracks in either upper strut mount though.

(As a side note, I've apparently also been driving on a loose tie rod end for who knows how long... I've been told that this could also have happened due to potholes)

-Paul!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i live in Baltimore County, but grew up in Baltimore City, i must say that Marylands roads suck! Especially in the city.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Ok. Ok. Not including inside the cities then. Sheesh.

Maryland roads are much better maintained than WV or PA overall.

Mainly, I just want to know if mushrooming is a problem in this area.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Krut & myself bought M7 strut tower braces & plates. At the time of install my Mini was about 10 months old, with his about 1 month old.

When I put my plates on, they rocked a bit back and forth. Not much, but about 1mm of play at either end. Kruts plates went on flat. This indicates that I have a bit of mushrooming not visible to the eye due to the movement of the plates prior to bolting down.

I also have 18's with low profile tires and megan coil-overs.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:46 AM
ssallykat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Krut & myself bought M7 strut tower braces & plates. At the time of install my Mini was about 10 months old, with his about 1 month old.

When I put my plates on, they rocked a bit back and forth. Not much, but about 1mm of play at either end. Kruts plates went on flat. This indicates that I have a bit of mushrooming not visible to the eye due to the movement of the plates prior to bolting down.
Hmmm, maybe I should consider putting a strut brace on Mia2.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:05 AM
jeffherbst
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat

I also have 18's with low profile tires and megan coil-overs.
I just put the plates on my 1 month old MCSa and they went perfectly flat. This is such a simple and inexpensive install, I consider it a must. Think of it as insurance, If you have it and don't need it, OK. It you don't have it and need it, look out!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 AM
promking
2nd Gear
Just put the plates on yesterday as living in center city Philadelphia requires them for a peacefull nights sleep. BTW, they look cool under the bonnet.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 AM
MirthScout
3rd Gear
How hard is it to install the plates and brace?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ssallykat
You can get the JCW brace and you'll be all set!!

Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by ssallykat
Originally Posted by Scavenger
You can get the JCW brace and you'll be all set!!
Yep, JCW brace... and JCW suspension... and oh then you'll definitely be wanting the JCW wheels... it's a Crapta$tic $lippery $lope!

Actually, I doubt the JCW brace helps too much with mushrooming, it's not anywhere near as heavy duty or reinforced as the M7 options... but I'm sure it is better than nothing, as it does put a plate on top of the strut tower.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
RHinaHBMCSC
4th Gear
Can some one explain this to me in a PM or point me in the right direction to figure out what this is please? I'm so new to all of this, sometimes I'm just like "huh?"

Old 08-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Edge
Yep, JCW brace... and JCW suspension... and oh then you'll definitely be wanting the JCW wheels... it's a Crapta$tic $lippery $lope!

Actually, I doubt the JCW brace helps too much with mushrooming, it's not anywhere near as heavy duty or reinforced as the M7 options... but I'm sure it is better than nothing, as it does put a plate on top of the strut tower.
Actually, from pictures that I recall, I don't think the JCW brace really has much of a plate at all. It's more like a ring with eyelets for the bolts. I'll have to see some pictures to refresh my memory. The M7 is definitely a stronger looking component - one downside I see to it is that it blocks the oil add point on the valve cover - at least the pics I've seen suggest that.

I haven't seen it in person though, and I haven't seen the JCW in person in a while either.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 PM
ssallykat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scavenger
The M7 is definitely a stronger looking component - one downside I see to it is that it blocks the oil add point on the valve cover - at least the pics I've seen suggest that.
Hmmm, anyone have info on this?
Originally Posted by Edge

I already have the JCW suspension on my dealer installed options list.

The R95 wheels ARE sweet!!! But I may still try to get some webspokes and powdercoat the web part black. I photoshopped the look, and I really like it also!

Im thinking of installing either the JCW brace, to stick with the JCW OEMness, or the M7. How hard can it be? I like the look of the M7, as long as it doesnt block anything important.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:58 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi there....

The M7 STB is all modular, for easy oil changes etc.....

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 08-24-2006, 08:03 PM
ssallykat
5th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Hi there....

The M7 STB is all modular, for easy oil changes etc.....
Does that mean you have to take it apart to change the oil? How does that compare to the JCW?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Someone asked about the install. Very simple. Unbolt the nuts on the top of the tower, put the plates on, tighten the bolts back down. If you bought the bar, bolt it to the plates, done.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:55 PM
UncleFester
2nd Gear
M7 plates only

I went with the plates only. Bar would have blocked JCW airbox.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
wow.

Has anyone SINCE getting the struts fixed/replaced stopped mushrooming with the m7 plates?

Has anyone tossed the plates on pre emptively and still has no mushrooming?

I see people's plans for the m7, but no after comments about how well they work.

I will be using the stock MCS 16's and their runflats until I get enough cash for regular all season tires like pirelli p zero nero m+s

Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Jefe
wow.

Has anyone SINCE getting the struts fixed/replaced stopped mushrooming with the m7 plates?

Has anyone tossed the plates on pre emptively and still has no mushrooming?

I see people's plans for the m7, but no after comments about how well they work.

I will be using the stock MCS 16's and their runflats [Emphasis added.] until I get enough cash for regular all season tires like pirelli p zero nero m+s
You might want to re-think keeping the runflats (even with 16 inch wheels). Runflats seem to be a contributing factor to both mushrooming of the strut tower and the tearing/cracking of the strut mount.

Quick Reply: Shock tower mushrooming